Please advise on drying my first plant

Hey guys, i have just harvested my very first plant and i am using my tent for drying. I have added a small vent on the bottom, disabled the led lights and this here is what i got.

Do you think this is all fine or should i change something? The temperature is around 26c (78.8f) and humidity is around 45% / 50%

Way to warm is your environment ,
, dark and environmentally under control
60*
60%
No wild swings in humidity or temps for
7 days min
10 days better
Get the air circulating
Just barely enough for you to feel
Ceiling fan type air currents and velocities work well

1 Like

I got my temp to 25 but that is all i can do, can this extra 4c screw up my flowers?

Yes
Terpenes will evaporate and degrade
Flavor and potency will degrade
Just a matter of whether you can live with it

Too warm and dry does not allow time for undesirable chlorophyll and other compounds to remain

Why so warm?

1 Like

Well i live in Brazil and it is 37c outside, the AC can only do so much for that area of the house which is my only option.

Oh man, the only thing i care about is potency since i use it for sleeping, it can literally taste like anything and i would not care.

I really hope the missing potency will not be noticeable :frowning:

What happens in a properly drying bud is that the outside begins to wick away moisture into the environment.
Further Within the bud structure remains moisture that slowly seeps/ transmits through the outer bud structure and surface to also be released.
During this process chlorophyll and other compounds begin to break down and also dissipate which is detrimental to your final product and the effectiveness of your curing process.

Ideally with a room at 60*\60% you bud dries more slowly and properly manages the undesirable compounds and allows for a fairly even drying process throughout.
Alas
Your are not done yet
curing is just as important
however no amount of curing will overcome your abbreviated drying.

If you absolutely must dry under your current conditions it’s best to leave the plant whole and take only enough fan leaves off to ensure it dries as slowly as possible in those conditions.
Make sure you have some air flow but not too much.
Explain your circumstances in detail
I have a few tricks
These are all things we have had to deal with .
As well some have found creative solutions
Outside of the tent thinking so to speak.

1 Like

I will try to come up with a plan for my next plant.

If you look at the bottom of the tent, there is the old vase with the soil and on top of it a small vent to circulate the air, it is a slight breeze so i think that part is ok. I also use the soil in that pot to pour some water in it to increase the humidity.

So they are protected from light inside the tent, there is good air flow, the temperature is what it is and i can somehow control the humidity. Oh, i have a vent on the top with an fan for the air flow.

For curing i already got 58% Boveda packs, like 4 of the small ones and i have several mason jars so that should be perfect i am guessing.

I looked into the flowers today and unfortunatelly it looks like they should be ready for curing tomorrow, WAY to fast :frowning:

Why so warm
Are you in a home or apartment by yourself and is this tent in a bedroom or other room and does this room have a supply for heating and cooling?

The only area i can use is my BBQ area, it is all closed with glass and it has AC, but when its 37c outside the AC will only bring the temperature down to 25c / 24c. It was always sufficient for our comfort, but not for this…

Hey, so i have rellocated the tent right in front of the AC, i have opened it so the temperature would lower a bit quicker and it worked!

I also added water in the pot wo right now i have 21c for the temp and 60% for humidity.

Do you think it is still time to make it somehow right? The flowers had like 48 hours of high temperatures.

It sounds like you’ve done every thing you possibly can
I have the fortune of being the only person in my home
I just lower my thermostat to 65 or 66
Than I dampen ( close partially)all the supplies in every room EXCEPT
The room I am hanging the ladies in.
That drying room will be dark and cool
I also put a humidifier controlled by an ink bird
or dehumidifier in there
Which ever is needed
But with the thermostat set quite low and most supplies dampened it will actually be 5-6* cooler in the dry room than the thermostat is set to

1 Like

The only other thing I would suggest trying is to take a large cardboard box and creates hanging string inside from one end of the box to the other and cut a hole in the side and pipe your cold air into the box of course leaving a few slots cut into it so it breathes well enough.
Put the whole box inside your tent to control humidity and jam a little cheapie hygrometer in the box by taping it to the top of the box on the inside so that once you open the box you can see it
Which you will close loosely.
Or cut a hole into the top of the box of the right size to press fit the hygrometer into so that you can monitor the humidity without opening the box.
Get as close to 60/60 as possible
Sometimes it requires a little cheapie ingenuity.

1 Like

Thanks for all the info and ideas. I do have a couple of inkbirds here, i am also a homebrewer so controling temps was always a thing for me, i just dont have the equipment to do that to my plants yet.

For my second harvest i will make sure to cover all bases.

I did try one of my flowers in my Pax 2 out of curiosity, after a few minutes just drying the flower insidenthe Pax, some smoke started coming and it was actually a pleasant high, so i think the end product will be acceptable, even if not perfect.

But hey, getting a perfect result out of my very first plant was not very realistic, i am glad i was able to deal with nutrient deficiencies and all and got to where i am now, i see people strugling more than i did, so all good :slight_smile:

There is so much misinformation on the internet…don’t worry so much about hitting exact temps and rh it is all bullshit. Unless you are running extremes…I normally have to dry at 75 degrees and 50 to 55 rh and it is a fast dry, usually 4 days. No problems with potency or terpenes, I am crushing the shit coming in from other states np. I have found that most things when it comes to growing cannabis are not as detrimental as people make them out to be. Hell in summertime my flower tent gets as hot as 88-90 and rh of 75-78 and my plants are fine. I cut the tops of my plants in veg in order to create an even canopy with unsterilized scissors. I do the same with clones…I understand some things are necessary in a commercial environment, but most of us do not grow in commercial environments. Dry how you want to dry, grow how you want to grow, there is NOT a specific right way to do things and if somebody tries to tell you there is…they are idiots and uneducated. As a matter of fact my dry room is 66.5 degrees and 37 rh right now and I am not worried one bit. Sure anyone else would be freaking out…Happy Growing

3 Likes

And than there’s bro science
Born of real life experiences
And the inability to do anything about it whether it be lack of resources, which we are all at one point or another faced with and rely on ingenuity and desire to aspire toward maintaining ideal conditions as close to ideal as possible
While others just settle for what is immediately possible and make piece with it
Which is fine for some
Simple fact of the matter is
Shoot for 100% and
Be satisfied with the superior 95% result
Or
Knowingly set your navigation for 80%
And resign yourself to that highest possible benchmark of 80%
I can assure you that if you were to take 1/2 your material and dry as you were
And the other 1/2 in the best condition you can provide
You will notice a difference in aroma, flavor and potency
All without having to be intentionally combative…
for some insignificant reason

I completely agree, unfortunately some of us don’t have an option. I live in a 900 sq ft. duplex and have 16 plants in a perpetual grow I have been running since May of 2021. So I have a spare room and a closet to dry in. Sometimes we have to take what we have and make it work, and that I have with great success. Right now in the not so greatest of conditions I am creating a product that is of superior quality to the product being shipped in from other states. So in knowing this, I can feel extremely confident that when I can move somewhere with a bit more space and finish dialing in those things I know that I can compete with the best of the best. I will be there one day but for now I take what I can get and I am blessed that not only am I growing primo organic medicine for myself, but I am also able to supply people in my area with primo organic medicine as well. Cheers!! Some pics 4 you.

This is all done with unideal conditions both in my tent and in my dry room, but somehow I get spectacular results and perfectly dried and cured end product at an rh of 60-62. The things that make you go hmmmmm…

1 Like

Current temps in my grow, it is about 50 degrees outside and I keep my central air on 65 so this is what I am currently getting.

Dry room
Veg tent
Flower tent
Things get much better for me in the winter as the summer gets hot as shit and I refuse to run up my electric bill so it gets up to almost 90 in my tents…the only major issue I had at first was I got botrytis on my first run so I added a small humidifier to the tent and no more bud rot. I have an it is what it is situation, so what I want new growers to understand is that slight variations are not going to ruin their grow. Too many people making noobs panic for no reason… I have only lost 2 plants out of the 100+ I have grown in this time and I have had some f’d up stuff happen in my grows lol.

1 Like

No one is trying to make noobs panic
Atleast not from this hemisphere anyway
Someone is trying to provide accurate information based not only on known data but what has worked in the past as we have also achieved excellence in less than ideal conditions and learned along the way

If someone respectfully requests help it is inherent to me to try to provide the most accurate information available
And it provides someone a target to shoot for.
Nothing in life is perfect or absolute.

IMO
VPD is by far more critical throughout the cannabis life cycle and often provides direction when conditions are less than ideal.
But knowing what to aim for was the nature of the querie
And while it is true that you can get by quite well with less than ideal conditions
Giving known fact is IMO the bullseye to shoot for .

3 Likes

Thanks for all the info and all the help guys.

I honestly understand where all you guys come from, focusing on super small details and changes is also controversial in other hobbies such as audio, some dont think nitpicks make a difference while others such as myself believe every 0.5% counts.

This is my first plant so i will have to test this things for myself before i can share my 2 cents, meanwhile i am grateful you guys are sharing your experiences with me.

Cheers!

Boom, 40 grams from a single plant! Now i patiently wait while they cure for a couple of weeks, i threw in 3 small 58% Boveda packs and i will burp it every day for the first week.

I did save all of the sugar leaves i just trimmed, those look awesome and i will vape the hell out of them while i wait, hahaha