New grower. Looking to for tips

Set to watching, haven’t grown those yet but they are on the wish list :yin_yang:

Had 5 seeds not germinate… Did paper towel method on a heating mad with a little HP and bottled water. So I popped 3 GSC with will be roughly a week behind. ( GSC in the.back). light on 50% power. 18/6. Coast of maine seedling soil to start. Dos Si dos are about 9 days old.

1 Like

Do you think 3 gallon pots are too small? Will have 6 plants in the tent.

I prefer 3 gallon over 5. Easier to deal with.

I always went with 5 gal my preference: but i am a Soil guy makes things easier with a larger container. :yin_yang:

1 Like

are you running autos or photos in the 3 gallon?

I pretty much stick to autos now.

Should I transplant Directly into my 3 gallon pots or should I buy 2QT pots and transplant into those before the 3 gallons?

Autos or photos? No reason to transplant autos. In fact they really don’t like it. Just plant directly into whatever size pot you want.

they are photoperiod plants.

@Snowyroads

I would go straight to 3 gal :yin_yang:

2 Likes

Yup, straight to the 3gal.
I don’t really mess with photos anymore though with how far autos have advanced.
You could go straight to a 5gal too if you wanted. Just depends on how big you want the lady

1 Like

only have a 4x4 and have 6 plants so 3 gallon it is.

Good idea bro! Keep us updated

Just transplanted.
Promix HPCC, Mineral Kit from Build a Soil, and Worm castings!
Uber Nutrients UNI ONE. 390 PPM. 6.4ph. 3 Gal Smart Pots. Watered in with 1 QT water per plant.

Tan Pot is Dos Si Dos and black pots are GSC.

Tent currently at 71F, RH. 53%.
18/6 Light Schedule
Fans Cycling on and Off every 10 Mins. for 10 minutes.
Scorpion Diablo 50%
Light height 42 inches.

Dosi Dos are 21 days and GSC 16 days old.

1 Like

1 Like

Yes, 3 gallon is too small… If I was growing a photoperiod in a small pot (less than 7 gallons) I would transplant from the Dixie cup to a 1.5 gallon pot within 2 weeks depending on root growth. I would leave them in there for the next 20-30ish days or so and then transplant them to a final pot. IMHO, a 3 gallon pot is too small to start your plants vegging in. They will be root bound well before they’re finished stacking. Transplanting them just prior to flip will give the roots more room to grow out during flower and also gives you a chance to inspect and treat the roots.

At a minimum, for a 45 day flip I would go 5 gallon but preferably 7 especially if you know the genetics demand it. GSC will most certainly go root bound in a 3 gal and most certainly deserves a 7 gal pot). DSD will take longer but will likely go root bound also in a 3 gallon but should be fine in a 5 gal… A photo is a big investment in time to go root bound in flower.

This is all assuming we are going to continue growing in organic living soil. Especially for organic soil growing, a bigger pot will just set you up for more success… And it can be very frustrating and disappointing as a new grower sometimes. So make it easy is my advice.

In a 4x4 I would probably seed 4 and keep the best 2 and it will still be crowded in there even with a quick flip.

Once the roots set from the transplant you should be able to water the entire soil. The problem with small pots is you will need to be dialed in with your feedings, top dress, waters, etc. every single time. Where as with a big pot you could bank pretty much every thing they will need except for a top dress and some goodies for the microbial life. Really a 4x4 would be perfect for two earth boxes and would make growing pretty much maintenance free and watering will be effortless and perfect at all times.

At 50% intensity with the diablo, I would probably drop em to about 30" from top of canopy and crank it to 60-70%… At this stage they can handle the light and without the DLI and intensity they may not grow robustly. Make em sweat a little, they like it.

In a small grow tent, consider growing two plants that should be similar in height… You don’t really want to deal with squatty indicas if you’re growing towering sativas at the same time unless you have the flexibility with your light arrangement.

Just leave the fans (Exhaust, intake, and oscillating) run all the time if you can keep humidity by dropping fan speed. In a week or two, RH will not be a problem.

I have grown so many photo periods in smaller pots and you will learn quickly which ones not to put in small pots or you will regret it. When I got tired of seeing big beautiful plants wither away long before their time and all you can do is bandaid em for the last month, I changed my ways.

1 Like

well I hit a snag….
been feeding at 900ppm and 5.8PH in promix ( peat + coco coir)
18/6
light is 2.5-3 feet away.

Small pots you need to be supplementing with micro-nutrients all the way up until flower if your bank is not filled with a full spectrum of nutrients and available to the plant by time it starts vegging. As stated in a previous post, you will be chasing deficiency or be root bound by early flower. It’s okay, s lot of people grow that way…and are dang good at it (I got decent at it after a few cycles) there are just much easier ways to grow that will keep your girls happy the entire cycle and allow your plants to finish naturally and on their terms (they stop eating when they’re done) and produce the Maximus terpenes and grease.

Btw… looks like a cal/mag deficiency. Promix you basically started empty which was fine in seedling stage. When they start raging you gotta be ahead of the game with small pots. Push em till the tips burn then back off a little.

1 Like

is there anything I can add to my water to flush nutrients faster?