New grower. Looking to for tips

Hmm. Well I bought the promix already. Is there anything I should add to it from BAS?

Right! I have been hard core photoā€™s and this is my first time growing Autoā€™s! Havenā€™t smoked any yet! Its hard to argue with the Speed & in the EB even the Size has impressed me: but give up my photoā€™s completely :yin_yang: Like you said its about quality in the Jars! I needed a quick turn around hence the Autoā€™s but i am impressed :ballot_box_with_check:

1 Like

Honestly you are going to possibly like the high better on autosā€¦. I think I prefer it now. Just get good genetics and youā€™re set.

1 Like

Haha nothing wrong with photo femsā€¦. Donā€™t get me wrong, I love them. I just think autos are easier, provider fast turn around, not as likely to herme (but can if you abuse them), smaller plants so you can grow more in a cycle and get a variety of flavors and highs, amongst many more benefits over photos.

For a small tent grow, why would you grow anything else and have to battle space the whole grow?

I had to grow quality auto genetics for myself to prove it outā€¦ but autos are just better all around when talking premium connoisseur genetics.

1 Like

Pro mix is good medium youā€™ll just need to amend it. Your basically building your own soil.

If I were building it, the basics would beā€¦

Gnarly barley - ground in coffe grinder
Alfalfa meal - 25% to the gnarley barley
Kelp meal
Crustacean meal
Fish bone meal (about 25% to the crustacean)
Karanja/neem
Insect frass
Kashi blend
Worm castings
Pumice
Micro big 6 blend
Horticultural aloe
BAS Craft blend for top dress
Rootwise or equivalent
Oly mountain compost
Gaia greens rock dust ( thatā€™s just what I have but seems like good stuff)
Yah-Whey probiotics

I use other products as well like wetting agents to water in. But that is my basic soul build if I donā€™t start with BAS lite or 3.0.

I try to buy all my ammendments in 20-25 lb food grade buckets and they will last you a long time.

Edit: when you put all that in there is a good chance the temp in the pot will heat upā€¦ I recommend letting sit for 10 days or check the soil temp so you donā€™t burn them.

If you want something super simple and stay organicā€¦.

Gaia greens 4-4-4 an 2-8-4 + worm castings and youā€™re good to go.

2 Likes

That is a lot of stuff sir.
I donā€™t have the space to store all of that.
I ordered a mineral kit and worm castings to go with my promix.
I already have fishshit to make foliar sprays and teas with.
The Uber Nutrients are organic and claim to be an auto sensing nutrient. So weā€™ll see.

Not for true hardcore photo growers. We still donā€™t grow Ruderalis . . . Iā€™ll admit to having experimented with both, all I can figure is I donā€™t know beans about growing after 40+ years because I canā€™t get the same results, quality of smoke wise as I do with photos.

As you say, ā€œAt the end itā€™s all about the herbs in the jarā€ and for me that means cannabis strains undiluted by ruderalis genes. Or being concerned about harvesting a few days or weeks sooner.

2 Likes

I get it manā€¦ with autos itā€™s all about the genetics. I only run two lines of genetics but many strains.

Photo periods are greatā€¦ Butā€¦ youā€™re missing out.

For a small tent it makes more sense.

And, the flowers on the autos I grow now are easily as good as any photos Iā€™ve grown. And I only drop primo seeds for both.

1 Like

It might actually make more sense for someone growing in a single tent . . . I have more space than I use since scaling things back a bit so I donā€™t think about that so much.

I know that people have success with, and are happy growing autos . . . thatā€™s great. I did try them but my results werenā€™t the same as yours . . . a wasted grow cycle for me.

But regardless of what we choose to grow . . . as long as youā€™re as happy with youā€™re harvests as I am with mine all is well on the farm.

1 Like

Let me jump in with my opinion :nerd_face: i donā€™t think i will give up on photo fem as the cloning and i was wanting to get a little creative with my own choices. Was wanting to try to create a mix of my liking from 2 strains of my choosing! Lastly i believe either auto or photo both will Crush in a Earth Box :100:

1 Like

If you buy a bag soil read the ingredients, as a lot of those things could be in the Soil already! Like the 3.0 from BAS or the Craft Blend. They mix a lot of those things for you for your convenience

1 Like

Yes if you go with the 3.0 or lite you really only need the craft blend, kashi, castings, microbial support. I would get the top dress blend to bury it all in as thatā€™s been working real good.

I think the 3.0 is strong enough to take an auto seed to harvest with one top dress or some additional feeding with the 2-10-5 water soluble heading into stacking.

FWIWā€¦ I am now mostly using the LITE and absolutely load the box from the start with my amendments and composts and then do it again in a month. No problems whatsoever on auto or photo.

1 Like

I would say my first 3 cycles with auto flowers were a failure. Looking back, it was 90% genetics.

Genetics I think is even more important with autos as many of them out there are so unstable.

I have plenty of room also so when I first started autos I would just throw a couple in with my photos and didnā€™t really care if the grew or not.

But they are so good nowā€¦ they get my full attention. Definitely still more quality strains available with photos but the gap is closing.

1 Like

I donā€™t want to be a Doctor for my plants but a little control over size and yield is a plus your given with a photo thats taken away from you with autoā€™s. I have 2 Big ones and 2 small due to being triggered early for one reason or another: :yin_yang:

Youā€™re much more determined than I . . . I tried them, neighbor tried them with different genetics both sucked. Iā€™m too old to be wasting grow cycles, so maybe when that gap youā€™re talking about is no longer a gap. And when I can train and clone autos to get the results I want Iā€™ll try them again . . . until then Iā€™ll leave them to you fellas and wish you all the luck in the world.

2 Likes

Well, I would like to remain relatively soil less.

Then why arenā€™t you growing hydro? If you want easy soil grow just buy a bag of pre amended soil.

If you use promix you just have to feed them. Use whatever nutrients you haveā€¦. Youā€™re the one thatā€™s asking.

If you want super easy results then the Gaia greens is guaranteed to produce high quality herb as I have ran with it a ton in the past. I just donā€™t know much about your nutes.

Feeding the way youl be feeding you will need to pick up some micro nutes (cal mag). I would go with the big 6 micros blend from BAS

1 Like

There are many ways to skin a cat! What ever you choose to do, try and find a more experienced grower that is using the method that closely resembles where your heading! Different grows use different nutes cal mag flushing ect: @laf6502 is that guy for me! As i have been weaning off the chemical nutes and the lab coat! For a full organic grow in EBā€™s my first for both and i been growing for years! Time to turn in the lab coat for laid back top dress SIP container EB :yin_yang: maybe use pro mix as your topic to find growers using it :raised_hands:t4:

3 Likes

Well thank you both for your input. I just finally got everything set up. Doing a test run with the lights set to 18/6 to test RH, VPD and Temp. Tent is a little chilly so I might need to get some sort of heater.
Currently sitting at 62.2F 49% humidity and .92 KPA VPD. 60% powder on the light. I have my fans going on every 10 minutes for 4 minutes to cycle out the air.

Thoughts?

1 Like

Just popped 8 Dos Si Do seedsā€¦ The journey begins. Using Coast of Maine seedling soil. PH 6.2.

1 Like