Live Q&A with Kyle Kushman - Wed 18th Nov @ 6pm PT

Light source was too far away from the plant.

1 Like

What is the a better choice, running lights overnight or during the day?

When I tried pheno hunting, I was working on GG4 and one other (canā€™t remember). I spent almost 2 years and wound up giving up. I was growing 50 + plants and kept a clone room of about 60 clones and 4 mothers. As hard as I tired, It was just too hard. It took so much time and patience. I wound up just using Sodium Thiosulfate and kept my seed supply stocked. It was easier and cheaper than keeping mothers and cloning. Only benefits I got from cloning was having plants vegged so that I only needed a 2 month flower schedule. It was like having autoā€™s but with Pheno traits (size, potency, geno and peno properties. The opposite side of the scale was the cost of keeping those clones. Clones required a much warmer room so HVAC had to be constantly monitored. All that extra heat, humidity also attracted more parasites and environmental issues (mold, rot, fungus, gnats, mitesā€¦they all loved that scene). Eventually I gave up the clones and mothers. Used seeds and adjusted the schedules. 50 Plants for production was alot of plants. Add 60 clones and you can see how things start to take off. When I went to seed production, It added 4 to 6 more weeks but cost, labor,effort were reduced exponentially. At this point in time, I just want to keep hold of a decent stock of seeds without being held up financially or time of shipment due to Covid or any other ship delay that can happen.
Now, If I found something close to Landrace, like the Purple he spoke ofā€¦that might be another story but it would also be a business endeavor with a pot of gold at the end of the rainbow.

2 Likes

Depends on what week your in but I would add the Flora grow a small amount at a time until your ppm is right. Be sure to check and adjust your ph afterwards.

1 Like

@Mrb53004 I donā€™t do clones anymore. If I have a female pheno I want to preserve I self pollinate it. Male plants are easier to use for breeding though and you can just self and feminize whatever phenos pop up in breeding that you want to keep but having males allows for far more pheno variance.

I was just curious as to what kushman looked for to see if he looks for anything I didnā€™t think about. A fresh perspective so to speak.

1 Like

I wound up with quite a fresh perspective just from belonging to this site. You are a big part of that so thanks for all your input, insights, wisdom and wonder.I
I was not expecting him to go really deep on the subject. For me, a lifetime has only given me a small glimpse (maybe 5/6 times in 50 years) of a plant that I went gaga over. One was Acapulco Goldā€¦glistening in the late summer breeze, whispering in the wind and perfuming the air with that unmistakable aroma. Another was a Thai stick plant. The color was like this bright pea, limey green that almost glowed. Last was a Black something strainā€¦One of the most gorgeous plants I have ever seen and one was THE GIANT, a Panama red I grew that wrote the book on Sativa. The fans were like 14-16 inches, nodes between 10 and 12 inches with the largest colaā€™s I had ever seen. They were like swords, cutting the sky. That is what I can remember that I would have loved to have developed, in this field.
Have a good night man, Iā€™m off to cookies and Glenlivetā€¦my bedtime snack

3 Likes

@A.D height limiting techniques like topping and tie down LST.

My personal preference for growing huge sativas (my personal favorite to grow is Moby Dick because it gets freaking massive) is to top twice and then fim the four main tops then use scrog.

Keeps the plants shorter and they bush out on top.

1 Like

Upside down Christmas trees!

2 Likes

Lights were to far away and might of been able to tweak the nutes more .but lights for sure

1 Like

I have watched your videos on training techniques which have been a game changer. The method appear to be very effective for smaller setups due to the amount of time it takes to do ā€œkushman chiropracticā€ for example. Do you have ways to do this on a larger scale?