Just looking for feed-back

I have an interesting situation … I’m trying to germinate my seeds in zone 7 in october . I’ve had always used a shot-glass full of water to start germination. My seeds always pop within 1 - 3 days and tap-root is an inch long, no paper towel needed. I grow in water . Normally in the warmer month all goes like I just explained. Now the situation, it’s october in zone 7 and my method is not working.Seeds go in the shot-glass as always, heating pad with controller set to 79, but the only float for less then a day and to the bottom they go with no tap-root yet. So I on the same heat set-up place the seeds in a moist paper towel on a plate to continue. They popped a very small tap-root and in some cases it curled around the seed and died shortly after .This happened to 10 seeds ( 2 different kinds) . So I took the next 2 seeds and when they popped a very small tap-root I moved them right to dirt. At first the root grew and pushed the seeds up and out of the dirt ( I quickly covered the back up with more dirt). They kept doing this for the first 3 days with the seed still firmly attached to where there should be leaves,lol I took 2 pins and removed the seeds from the tap-roots because thats all they were at this point STILL… Now I’m back on track. My question is - do you think seeds know what time of year it is? and when germinating in off season situations could they have an negative effect on how things start ?