Jumping in with both feet

Hello all. New here. I have obsessively watched all Homegrown videos and Potcasts as well as many others. I also have a cousin that grows cannabis for a living so she’s just a text away. I ordered my seeds and went to work on converting a 5’x5’ closet into a grow room. I was gifted 5 Oregon White CBG seeds last week. 3 of them are well started seedlings now. From Homegrown I ordered: Electric Bruce, Granddaddy Purple, Northern Sunrise and received free White Widow autoflowers with my purchase. All are indica or indica hybrids. I germinated 2 seeds from each of the Homegrown seeds. The autos will be staying inside, but both Northern Sunrises and one each of the Electric Bruce and Grandaddy Purples will be going outside in the beginning of June. So we’ll be able to compare how each does. All but 1 of the Northern Lights seeds popped during the paper towel method. But that seed did crack on the end so it’s in a seedling cup now to give it a chance. It was interesting to see that the 2 Electric Bruce seeds have twice the root length as the rest after a 48 hr germination in the paper towels. All went in their pots today. Seedling cups for all but the autos. They went directly into their 5 gallon pots and have cut off tops upside-down clear pop bottles over them to get them started. Day 1 will start once they break the soil. :blush:

5 Likes

18 hours after planting and the Electric Bruce is still flying ahead of the rest (baggies removed for photo). Here they are next to the 3 Oregon White CBG seedlings. One of the Granddaddy Purples is juuuuust popping through as well.

6 Likes

Looks like you’re well on your way @GhostGirl .
Welcome to the forum!

3 Likes

They are off and growing like…well, weeds. lol The Northern Sunrise that didn’t pop during the 48 hr paper towel germination DID pop once planted. She broke the soil overnight and should have her leaves up later today. That means I had 100% germination from the Homegrown Cannabis seeds. :partying_face:

While I was fully expecting the 2 White Widow Autos to be the ones speeding ahead, it’s still the Electric Bruce that is going full steam ahead and working on their second leaves already. And look at that first stretch in just 24 hrs! The lights are just 2 feet above them so it’s not a light distance issue, they just want to hurry up. At this rate they might surpass the Oregon White CBG seedlings by the end of the week for height. The Oregon seeds are known to be compact plants though while Electric Bruce is not. I will be transplanting the 3 CBGs into larger pots in the next few days as they are getting close to the top of the grow dome and are currently on day 8.

One of the White Widow Autos had the shell firmly stuck on the leaves. I very delicately gave it some assistance this morning so hopefully it catches up to its sister now. Whereas all the other tap roots grew straight, that one auto curly cued a bit. Here’s a pic of the other auto:

3 Likes

Day 3 starts with Electric Bruce officially being taller than the Oregon White CBG that is on Day 10. All baggies have been removed from the babies in the tray under the dome and I opened one of the top vents as the Bruce and CBG will be leaving it within the next few days before they hit the dome top.

The 2 White Widow Autos caught up with each other. I’m expecting to see some decent growth on them in this coming week. They will stay under their pop bottles until the leaves get close to the sides.

5 Likes

Day 4 for the Northern Sunrise, Electric Bruce, Grandaddy Purple and White Widow Autos. Day 11 for the Oregon White CBG (in white cups).

You can see the difference between the 2 autos below. One popped up fine but the little one got stuck in its seed shell and had a corkscrew tap root, it’s moving in the right direction now at least. Even being a shorty next to her sister. Their next watering will include molasses. Since they are autos I plan to use it throughout their growth and flower.

4 Likes

2 days later and I repotted the 3 CBG. Their roots are lovely so far. The 2 autos are finally starting to take off. The Electric Bruce that bounded ahead of the rest stopped its first tall stretch and is now working on some first leaves. So far so good. :+1:

2 Likes

What a difference 6 days makes! Don’t worry, I’ll be rearranging in the morning to get the CBGs up out of the middle of the 2 White Widows or at least get them so they aren’t touching the sides of the pots. I transplanted both Granddaddy Purples and Electric Bruce’s to their next pots today. Beautiful root system so far for all. The Northern Sunrise is not stretching as far as her sisters so I’m going to give those 2 a few extra days in their seedling cups before they move up. The White Widow Autos are really starting to take off with the molasses added to their feed. Next round I think I might just start them with the molasses in their water as they have really responded to it.

Lesson learned on the CBGs. You can see in the picture below that it’s first leaves got a touch stressed after I repotted them because I raised them too close to the lights for their liking. That’s why they were lowered down between the White Widows. They have fully recovered and seem to love the current distance from the lights.

Humidity is being maintained right around 50-60% and between 75-80°F with a small fan keeping those leaves just fluttery enough for their liking. So far so good. :crossed_fingers:

4 Likes

What a difference 9 days make! All have been topped once. Even the ugly little Northern Sunrise that was late to pop has taken off. The Electric Bruce, which has been stellar since popping their first root is starting to become very bushy. Granddaddy Purple has stretched more than I thought it would being that it is listed as a shorter plant at full growth. The 3 Oregon White CBG plants are simply beautiful. The next transplant at the end of this month will signal a switch up as half will be going outside to grow so we can compare yields and growth in both nature and the controlled grow room. The 2 White Widow Autos are doing ok. The one that popped later than it’s sister is still behind in growth whereas the other was just LSTed last night. I will remove any leaves still touching the dirt tonight if they don’t move up on their own. Here’s the bigger auto:

2 Likes

The White Widow Autos have exploded in growth! Here’s one LSTed to the side and then trimmed up a bit. 3 more days and they will be starting their 5th week so I’ll be watching for any signs of flowering starting.

4 Likes

And we have the beginning of flowering! One white widow auto has started at the beginning of its week 5.

5 Likes

The nursery looks a bit different now with the outside grow plants doing their hardening off outside so they can go in the ground this Sunday. This is what is left and I upsized the pots on the rest of the youngins. As you can see, I also started LSTing them. The Granddaddy Purples both stretched a lot more than the rest, even with the light at the same distance so I am being a touch more aggressive in training the limbs outwards. I’m using my own version of Highigan’s use of weed cloth “staples” to bend those limbs outwards. They need to be adjusted daily as they are still growing and turning upwards that fast. Here’s the happy ones outside in the sun:

6 Likes

Look at them grow!!! :smile: Proud of you!!! :heart_eyes:

3 Likes

Thank you hun! That means a lot. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

2 Likes

And here we are just over 2 weeks later. I switched them to 12 on 12 off last night so flowering has officially begun in the nursery! My LST technique has worked great using the “staples” that hold down weed cloth as weights on the end of branches. Next grow I will be playing around more with Kyle Kushman’s chiropractic technique.

An interesting thing to note right now is that I purposefully planted the 2 white widow autos in different depth pots at the same time. Kyle mentioned in one of the videos that autoflowers switch to flowering indoors once the main tap root hits the bottom of the pot. The deeper pot has yet to start flowering but the smaller pot is growing some beautiful flowers. :heart_eyes:

Here’s how the outside plants are doing. Fantastic for the most part. The ground was wet when they went in and they didn’t appreciate it but they have bounced back. You can see in the last picture that one of the CBG plants developed rust spots on it’s leaves after being outside for a week. It appears to be doing better now that we upped its cal mag.

4 Likes

9 days later and look at this white widow auto piling on the flower! The other white widow auto has yet to show signs of flowering, even after switching to 12/12 lighting. But the rest of the closet grow responded to the lights switching by jumping almost a foot of growth on the 2 Grandaddy Purples. They stretched a lot from the start but they jumped up this time so I had to raise the lights. The CBG is taking it’s punishment well. LOL This is the one I kept to treat like regular cannabis even though it was created specifically for combine harvest. While it has stayed shorter than the rest, everything else has gone the same as the other cannabis.

4 Likes

The 2nd White Widow Auto is FINALLY flowering. 2 weeks behind its sister. And just look at the frost starting to form on that sister plant! Exciting!! And one if the grandaddies has started to flower as well.

4 Likes

9 days later and look at the frost on the one white widow! :heart_eyes:

All plants are in flower now! The Granddaddy Purples have stretched enough that I had to raise the lights 2x since switching to flower. The runt white widow is making some serious progress all of a sudden. The Northern Sunrise was the last to start flowering. Here’s some of the GPD:

And here’s a look at the whole closet grow:

4 Likes

@GhostGirl Wow! They look fantastic!!! A huge change in a week’s time.

1 Like

7 days later and LOOK at this girl! All of them are doing great. :heart:

And some of the outside ones:

2 Likes