Insects or fungus

Mid-Atlantic, I am new to growing, but my plants were off to a great start. Now it appears as if something is eating them and sucking the nutrients. Any recommendations?

2 Likes

Nice to meet you, @Gnome !

Is this the only plant you are seeing them? Any leaf involvement?

Based on this image, looks like mites, but my vision has been blurry lately. I have used a silica based treatment, like an infusion-decoction of horsetail. If you aren’t used to this, is start by mixing some in some soil first because it applies a coating to the leaves and WILL absolutely fry the leaves of you aren’t used to it. I don’t recommend spraying for small indoor. The reason being, most of the time plants put off a stress signal like this when there is a moisture issue and they call their friends over to help them degrade/fix the problem. I’m definitely no expert, others have more experience than I, so it will be good to get some other opinions to see what you are most comfortable with.

Hope this helps! Happy Growing! :v::herb:

3 Likes

Yes, it only allowed me 1 picture to post since it was my 1st post. It wasn’t the best.

2 Likes

This is an auto flower indica in a pot. My others are sativa and in the ground. They are fine so far.

1 Like

I’m going to tag others with outdoor experience here as I’m indoor and don’t want to lead you astray. @MDBuds , @Mrb53004 , @CkNugz @Wildbill @Adcrag

If you have had a lot of rain, I’m going to go with too much moisture, but I’d like to see what they say.

4 Likes

Yesterday and today it has been raining a lot here. That could be it.

2 Likes

What do you have them sitting in? A pot, grow bag?

1 Like

This one is in a big pot. It’s outside and has been getting full sun for about 8-10hour a day. We’ve had it for 3 weeks started from seed. Yesterday was the 1st heavy rain we got here in Virginia Beach and today still misting.

3 Likes

May I please see your pot? Insert more words to pass. (Ignore the second sentence, added to allow post)

2 Likes

2 Likes

2 Likes

I’m going to recommend repotting into will with more airflow. Lack of air will cause a back up of moisture. It’s kind of like drinking a bunch of water at one time and you know how you get that sloshy belly/full feeling? Plants, like us, need some time to process water. If take her out, make sure the bottom stalk is level with the pot a little more so the wind can access and assist in the drying process. Mix the soil she’s in with some drier soil (whatever you use) or put her in the ground? I think she just needs to dry out some. If she’s with any friends and they aren’t affected, I’d isolate her until you see improvement in about a week or so. Hope this helps. :v:

3 Likes

Yes. The other 2 are in the ground and do not seem to be affected, but are a different species. :crossed_fingers: We will see how she does. Thanks for the advice. I wasn’t sure if it was a grub of sort and at first was thinking to put neem oil.

2 Likes

I know I’m preaching to the choir, but some species are more resilient than others, just as some from the same species will have a better or less than stellar response based on external influence. It just depends on what stress signal is being sent and what genetic code is unlocked.

If they other two aren’t affected AND in the ground, perhaps that’s the answer? I wouldn’t want to hang out in a double pot full of water. Something to contemplate, anyway. Thanks for the exercise!

2 Likes

@Gnome I have a few questions for you to narrow it down. Have you noticed any sticky redisue on the leaves around the damaged areas? Have you seen any fine webbing similar to a spider web? Have you seen any white sacks or brown spots on the under sides of the leaves?

4 Likes

@MDBuds no to all of the above.

I’ve attached a couple more pictures noo. I’m working today. So s little slow responding.

1 Like

@Gnome check for ants!, looks like the main stalk got split and it healed over.

2 Likes

It’s not healing it self right did you trim limbs of where the split is

2 Likes

No, it mainly has just seemed to turn a lighter shade of green or pale yellow.

I think you are right. @Gnome , looks like you might have root rot?

1 Like