Infused coconut oil

Wanting to infuse some coconut oil, which should I use? I have an ounce of decarb ready.

@jjress i would use the organic spectrum if your making butter to cook with

I want to make some gummies, this should work?

@Daddy1971 i am trying this for the first time, I am gonna make some tincture as well, I am not sure which would be better for the gummies, I also want to make some infused chocolate. I don’t think alcohol based tincture would be good in chocolate

@jjress If you want to cook anything you want to melt the coconut oil and if you make tincture you most likely have to use alcohol i think let’s get @MDBuds in here to answer your question

2 Likes

@jjress I prefer coconut oil to mct. It preserves more terpenes and flavenoids. It is a gentler extraction than mct.

2 Likes

@jjress as far as gummies or chocolates go you can make them with rso instead of tincture.

I make all of my edibles with rso and just infuse oil with rso or use it straight depending on the application.

Gummies I infuse sunflower lecithin and then use it to make my gummies.

Chocolate I infuse coconut oil and add in some lecithin so you still get that smooth shiney finish.

2 Likes

@MDBuds correct me if I am wrong but RSO is just heat reduced Green Dragon Tincture???

3 Likes

@jjress, here is the recipe I’ve been using. Coconut oil gives you an opaque gummy with a “creamier” texture to it. MCT or olive oil gives you a clearer, more “jiggly” gummy.

She’s got a ton of great recipes on there. I’m going to try making some caramels and chocolates as well to give out for Christmas. For the chocolates I’m making some FECO - if you use coconut oil the chocolate won’t set at room temp, unless you know what you’re doing with chocolate tempering.

4 Likes

@CurrDogg420 thank you, also one other question I have ongrok machine and for making the tincture I have about an ounce of my trimming’s from harvest and am wondering if I should just use one cup of everclear or perhaps use 2? I am just experimenting but I definitely want to make it good. If I reduce it down to RSO maybe I should use 2 cups to have more left at the end.

1 Like

@jjress , if you’re intending to make FECO, the everclear is just a solvent. You won’t end up with more FECO, it will just take longer to evaporate the alcohol away. Use just the right amount to cover the plant matter, any more is a waste.

3 Likes

@retiredoldguy , I’m making it for the first time myself, so I’m just passing along what I’ve read.

Emily has a recipe for that too, which is the one I’m following, and according to her, yes basically.

You don’t need a soxhelet but it would be very cool. Its a laboratory device you can use for alcohol extractions. You can use it for chili oil too. It’s sort of like a still, and the alcohol is recycled by the system and can be completely recovered. In the homemade method, the alcohol is just wasted.

2 Likes

ok I have educated myself and I see RSO is typically made with Isopropyl and heated to reduce and Green Dragon is typically made with grain alcohol and air evaporate to reduce (can heat to reduce but can be dangerous). I always thought you should not consume Isopropyl but this is what RSO calls for…

1 Like

I think sometimes the names are used interchangeably. They’re both Full Extract Cannabis Oil, and I think Rick Simpson invented the process.

1 Like

@CurrDogg420 I didn’t know what FECO so I looked it up and found the same recipe, so based on the recipe being doubled I did it right and didn’t even know it….:joy::joy: I bought this machine for myself for Christmas, I was gonna buy the levo machine but this was more budget friendly at this time of year. I’ll reduce it down later this evening or tomorrow.

2 Likes

@CurrDogg420 I know and FECO is Green Dragon reduced down to evaporate the grain alcohol… :cowboy_hat_face:

2 Likes

Actually I have some questions too on the topic of extraction.

One thing this FECO recipe didn’t tell me was how much to expect in yield. Probably it varies quite a bit depending on the quality of the product that went in. But, can anyone give me a ballpark estimate? I used 2oz.

Also, @MDBuds how does this product compare with the pressed rosin? They’re both extracting the same stuff more or less, right? Does that come out clearer because the alcohol is extracting more stuff? How does the yield compare?

1 Like

I don’t have answers to either of those things but it seems like you get just a little concentrate according to what I have read, I then wonder how much concentrate gets used in let’s say a batch of gummies, I’m gonna try and find out. I don’t get medicated very often and don’t wanna knock myself out for a few days or so……that would be bad!! :joy: @CurrDogg420

2 Likes

@CurrDogg420 I think it comes down to your flower strength and amount, since no matter how much solvent you use you are always trying to reduce or rid it completely so in my simple mind that means what is left is truly a direct result of you bud potency and how much of it you used …but I am still learning about all these different techniques and end products…my last batch of Green Dragon I used about 10 grams of bud and let sit out until just an oily paste but still didn’t seem to do anything for me when taken in small doses, …but I am still learning and believe now I need to use at least an OZ to make it. Waiting for this auto crop to come in and I plan to use it for my next try at this.

3 Likes

@retiredoldguy it’s heat reduced alcohol tincture. I personally use non denatured alcohol not isopropyl.

@retiredoldguy did you make sure you decarbed it first? If you don’t decarb before making your rso or tincture it won’t work at all.

It doesn’t matter how much cannabis you use if you don’t decarb your end result won’t have any psychoactive or physiological effect aside from treating inflammation and nausea.

@CurrDogg420 If decarbed properly and extracted properly, your end result after reduction will be roughly right around your measured cannabinoid levels including thca, cbda, cbn, terpenes, etc…

So let’s say you use a cultivar with 30% total cannabinoids by weight and you use 1 gram for simplicity. 1 gram is 1000 mg. 1000 mg X .3 = 300 mg. So your end result would be 300 mg or .3 grams after extraction and reduction give or take depending on how much chlorophyll and fats and waxes were extracted as well and how much may have gotten burned off if heated or reduced too long.

2 Likes