Infused coconut oil

@CurrDogg420 you will get a bigger yield with alcohol extraction because alcohol is a bi polar solvent and it strips everything out including chlorophyll.

Rosin you get slightly less yield because it doesn’t extract everything and very little chlorophyll is in it unless you press it fresh before dry and cure. The benefit to rosin is that you can smoke it and eat it and it’s a cleaner solventless extract.

2 Likes

@CurrDogg420 @jjress my alcohol extraction formula is helpful so you know how much alcohol to buy or measure out so you don’t waste anything. 1 liquid ounce per 2 grams of decarbed cannabis. If you fill the jar loosely with cannabis and leave room for aeration and agitation like you need you will use just enough alcohol to cover about 1 inch over the top of the buds.

I wish soxhlet extractors were more affordable to the average home grower though because they require far less alcohol and you can get your extract done in just a few hours vs waiting days.

2 Likes

My evap rig. 8 cup Pyrex measuring cup floating in a water bath in my mini crock pot. It’s working pretty fast. I thought about leaving overnight and felt safe enough about it but I think it would definitely be done before then.

When you’re making maple syrup you want a large surface area to start off with. I’ve got an evaporator which is basically a wood stove with a stainless steel pan on top for cooking the sap.

Another idea I had was to use these - they’re used as filters (these are the liners for the filters actually) for removing the sediment from your maple syrup before bottling. The 2oz batch size is a little much for a standard coffee filter. You can’t get the last bit of liquid squeezed out of the material. If you were working in large batches they could be handy.

3 Likes

@CurrDogg420 I’ll keep that in mind. The largest batch I can make at the moment is 80 Oz in an old pickle jar. I just strain it through a mesh screen when ready to get the plant material out and then I strain that through unbleached coffee filters into a large stainless steel bowl and use the double boiler evap method if I don’t cold evap.

If I cold evap I just strain from jar to jar as the process goes on. Cold evap usually takes me 3 days to a week.

2 Likes

@MDBuds thanks for all your information…I do decarb but just haven’t used enough bud in each batch to reach my level of needs

3 Likes

@jjress I make chocolates from tincture. I start with a tablespoon of dry cocoa in a little bowl, then drop the tincture on the cocoa. I make 24-piece bars, so I drop 24 doses onto the cocoa. I do 4 doses at a time, then let the alcohol evaporate before doing the next 4. This takes about a day for each 4 doses, 6 days total. By the end, the goodies are in the cocoa and the alcohol is all gone.

Then, I melt a chocolate bar of my choice in a double boiler with the cocoa, and put it in a silicon mold.

Works great. Good luck!

1 Like

Lots of brownie recipes have chocolate liqueur in them so it may work perfectly

1 Like

So, if I need infused oil for a tincture or a topical ointment or lotion, I start with an alcohol tincture, mix it with an equal amount of fractionated coconut oil (all the liquid components of coconut oil, with the solids removed), then heat on a double boiler until all the alcohol evaporates off. I put a liquid ounce of each in a tall 1 inch diameter jar (that capers come in). I was doing this yesterday and failed to mix it well. Plus I used more oil to make a weaker tincture. As it heated up, I noticed no bubbles were coming up. Apparently, the oil was floating on the alcohol and was too heavy for the bubbles to escape. So I tried to stir it with a chopstick. As soon as the chopstick broke through, the thing geysered and the alcohol caught on fire. Very exciting. Now I have a cannabis-infused stovetop.

@Bushdoc I turn my alcohol tincture into rso first before I infuse oils etc… just so I can make sure all the alcohol is evaporated out.