I'm a old alien dude & newbie

A few pics of my girls @ 33 days old. I do have a few yellow/faded tips on the tops of the girls. This A.M. I’ve raised the light all the way back up to the top. I will then lower in 6" increments to rule out the light. I have heard that a nitrogen deficiency can also cause problems aforementioned above. Otherwise, I’m a dummy.

My setup is: DWC AEROPONICS TOP FEED LOTUS NUTES CAL/MAG HYDROGUARD 2 x T5’s KIND3 LED XL450 200+ watts
All my girls were started in rockwool in 3" net cups in my cabinet. If y’all out there on earth see something wrong or funny looking, PLEASE ADVISE. I have not gotten this far without support. THANKS TO ALL THOSE THAT HAVE OR ARE GOING TO REPLY. YOUR INPUT HAS/IS INVALUABLE.
:sunglasses: :smile: :alien: :v:t6: :vulcan_salute:t6:

9 Likes

@GOLLO welcome! Plants look great! Keep updating on your grow! Ill be watching!

3 Likes

Nice grow @GOLLO ! :+1::v:

Alien, huh?

So, what planet are you from then? lol

3 Likes

Will do, and thanks for responding.

1 Like

I am from a universe ruled by the magnanamous & righteous & founder of our universe, named ELECTRIC LADYLAND,
MR. JIMI HENDRIX. Hold up, I gotta go, he’s getting ready to jam.

5 Likes

I’m not familiar with this type of grow (rockwool). Would you not flush with water to flush out excess nutrients? I’m asking from a place of ignorance, not to call you out.

3 Likes

@GOLLO they fine . bet they take off from the SOG

From what I know, rockwool is widely available @ amazon & such. It is basically an inert material that does not enter the plant. All it does is serve as a sponge for water & the plant & later as a media for the roots to grow through.

3 Likes

TODAY’S PICS

4 Likes

I’ve seen it available. I’m just wondering what the preference would be in growing, unless it’s like my choosing a certain style of shoes that is different from yours. I hope that makes sense.

2 Likes

YEAH, it is preference.

3 Likes

Well, I guess when I get bored, I’ll wander over to figure out your set up. I appreciate your patience.

3 Likes

@kmac03 Rockwool is a substrate made from heating Basalt rock and Recycled Slag. It is like fiberglass insulation. Hydro growers use it a lot. You have to water often as it really does not hold moisture. What it does is allow nutrient feeding like force feeding, directly to the roots while lowering the chance of root rot becasue of lack of Oxygen in the substrate. You make your feeding solution and either set up an automated feeding system or you manually feed your babies. Every feed, the solution goes through the rockwool and the excess comes out the bottom. That is where you see most people TESTING PH and TDS run off levels. Soil does a good job of evening everything out and maintains moisture much longer so you feed less. Down side is you have to empty the run off somewhere, you do not re-use it.

5 Likes

I’ve been asking about uses for runoff in general. It’s why I’m a fan of biodiversity as of late. The main river where I am is full of yuck, created by runoff of farms, humans, etc. Anyway, I’m about to go down the rabbit hole on that which no one wants. Sorry for my digression. So really, using rockwool, etc, and different methods of growing are based upon what tradition you were brought with for growing, in a manner of speaking?

3 Likes

@GOLLO what strains are you growing and are you still in veg or did you flip to flower?

1 Like

Choice of Substrates were based on ROI. When I was a major grower for profit,I wanted the most I could get from a strain / season /run. Plants grown this way far outproduce those grown in alternate medium. Only thing i saw close was misters. Plants were suspended on a board, misters were at roots and they misted upwards. Oxygen was plenty and Nutes went directly to plant through the root system. The problem was, if a mister failed / clogged - you lost your plant. Most Hydro systems are single point of failure. Loose you water, everything dies. Fungus in wate, all plants suffer…etc.
Soils - much cheaper. You usually start with some kind of READY TO GO soil and add nutrients after you get to flowering. No run off to speak of. Less chance of Single point of failure but Return On Investment is not what you get from a hydro system. In a small, cheaper setup, you can do automated drip systems that reduce much of the waste. Check in with @GOLLO as he is using a DWC AEROPONICS TOP FEED

4 Likes

Thanks for clearing that up.

3 Likes

I’m not quite there at that level yet, but I am curious if this sort of system would work for most medicinal herbs/flowers? I’m finding most are responding in the same way to growing canna while also being aware that not everyone is on board with companion planting type situations on either side of the fence. My plants enjoy being around each other and are helping each other grow, which I found evidence of in a very old article from an almanac dated from the 40s at one time. Of course, did I write it down? Nope.

4 Likes

I am growing my own meds. $1100 per/mo for meds is not sustainable & a waste.
Being a first time grower, and with covid being what it is, I’ve found this to be a great time to grow indoors.
The one thing I think is important is that growing in DWC, AEROPONICS & such gives you immediate feedback. Your plants will tell you within a day whether they like something or not. I measured my one of my GDP’s at 10" yesterday, today she’s leaning towards 12- 13" @ 1600 hrs today. I defoliated late last night vowing to the girls to not do it again, yet they persist in getting bushier overnight. BTW, I don’t just defoliate, I tuck a large amount of leaves to allow light penetration. A few hours later I can’t tell where I tucked leaves. It is nice problem to have. For me, this has been an easy grow. I can’t imagine soil being easier. :sunglasses: :smile: :alien: :v:t6: :vulcan_salute:t6:

4 Likes

I have found that all of it is a dance. I’m about to try my hand at growing White Sage indoors. I’m sure at some point, I’ll try your growing methods as I like to experience things with my hands to get a better grasp on it.

It’s funny, I was straight coco initially, then I moved to soil, now I do a mixture of soil, coco, and other amendments. Now, from where I sit, I’m thinking your method looks like it’s a lot of work. I guess it’s all subjective, huh?

2 Likes