Humidifier recommendation

Hello to all …
I’m a newbie and I’m having trouble dialing in my tent humidity. It’s size is (2x4x8), I’m pulling outside air through the attic on a insulated 6” line and when it rains the humidity is good but any other day my hygrometer reads 30%-40% …I have 2 gelatos and 1 mimosa that are not far from 4 weeks old now, and I’ve been fighting humidity from the start with water buckets and…(I’m a clumsy guy, so with such limited space, I’ve already spilled enough water) …enough struggling, I need a recommendation on a good humidifier from you all with experience :pray: porfavor. The selections on Amazon are overwhelming, I rather get something I know someone else is thriving with

1 Like

In such a small area, I would use a towel rack and just hang a damp towel. You have t tend the tent on a daily basis so bringing a damp towel is not so hard. Some of us use reptile humidifiers, some use those little Artic fans ($25-$40). Rh levels 30-40% is not too bad, especially as we get into flower mode. What are your strains, how big are your pots/containers. If you are only growing a couple plants in a 2x4, consider empty containers with WET SOIL. Just water them thoroughly. Also ask @Highigan, he did a YT video and went over the components of setting up a tent, including the humidifier

2 Likes

Can not tell you what kind to get but i got a crain it lasted 33 days. Turned out to be a waste of 120$.

1 Like

I have my set up in a bedroom, i have a fairly small humidifier on low well away from plants, on low with door closed i can contain a regular rh of 45. To 50%, the reason you leave the humidifier well away from your plants is bc if you have hot steam going through your fan onto your plants you will/ can get mold, the trick is to get the whole rooms rh straight, do not put a humidifier in your tent!

1 Like

This is what scared me into asking. So many reviews like yours, you were not alone. There are also reviews on humidifiers that won’t even start because the size of the closet was too small for the gauge to read, most recommended .5l to 2l air chillers? . I was going to use the ol stimmy stim and buy both a humidifier and dehumidifier, but now I’m even more discouraged than before…guess I’ll keep the wet towels and buckets

2 HCC Gelatos and 1 bag seed Mimosa on 6” pots - 3 days away from 4wk mark. I only have one light (hlg100) for the moment and it doesn’t put out much heat, so when I put either water buckets or wet towels/rags there isn’t much water being evaporated, I may add a ceramic disk reptile heater and see if that helps create the humidity I need (until I get my other light) then hopefully another light will help ? Thanks for your input

Thanks for the input. it’s tricky for me because I have a tent (inside a closet), not a bedroom. The door to the closet stays closed and locked unless I open it, for stealth and roommate discretion. I ran two 6” lines up the attic for my air coming in and out into the tent. One is hooked up to an extractor @380cfm and another is hooked up to a in-line can@250cfm that is constantly sucking up outside air, my problem is the outside air traveling through my attic is somehow “drying up” by the time it gets to my tent ( it travels a good 30ft) so I need a way to draw humidity into the tent. On a good rainy/cloudy day; the air will be just fine, but that’s not so common where I am. Our hot days are hell and that’s when my humidity drops down to the 30%s …I wouldn’t mind if I was flowering, it’s ideal…but my Lil girls are only 4wks old …

I talked about this in my tent setup vid, with a controller and the humidifier I choose you can keep it outside the tent, its top fill so you never have to remove anything to fill it just dump water in, along with a controller and fan you can dial the humidity in exactly. Links to everything used in the video description! If you watch please drop a sub, it will help a ton <3 3:15min mark is where I talk about the humidity control setup!

4 Likes

Hell yeah, I watched it last night…thanks! I’ll be getting the set up soon​:crossed_fingers:t3::+1:t3:…and I’ll def sub!

2 Likes

I was having the same problem with the same setup. I have a 2x4 in a closet and couldn’t get my RH to stay above 40. I added some small house plants to my tent, wet towels, and a small towel hanging in a bowl of water to pull water like a wick. All these things put my RH to 65. Just my 2 cents, good luck and keep posting.

5 Likes

Yeah I went through a few different styles of humidifiers before I found that one, if you don’t go with the one in the video just make sure what ever model you choose has a toggle switch vs an electronic push button switch! This is very important when using controllers because if its push button style when the controller turns the humidifier on or off it will not turn back on automatically when the controller kicks the power on again unless you then push the power button on the humidifier.

3 Likes

Thanks for the heads up!! I was just about to ask how those controllers operated heh…I think you put me on the right track, thanks again

1 Like

Yeah controllers like the inkbird one I use in the video are pretty basic they just turn power on and off to 2 different outlets, one for the humidifier and another outlet for the dehumidifier it just turns the power on and off to those outlets based on the RH its getting from inside the tent, if the connected devices don’t use a toggle switch vs electronic then when it kicks the power back on the device will get power but not start running automatically till you push the power button on the actual unit. Toggle button style units start running as soon as they get power.

2 Likes

Your haveing rh swings, your rh should be 40 to 50% if it swings more than thar you have problems.

Good information to know there.

2 choices in humidifiers. Either the premade off the shelf, or diy ultrasonic. In a space that small get the 1 liter premade cool mist from walgreens. Set it up on the inkbird controller that @Highigan shows in their vids. I use the temp and the humidity controllers from them, they work great. They will also help you dial in your VPD. If you buy both controllers at the same time you get a discount. And you can get wifi enabled ones that allow you to monitor and control your climate from anywhere you have signal.

If you so choose you can DIY a ultra sonic 5gallon humidifier for around 120$,

2 Likes

Is there a link on the thread on the You of tubes? Asking because I cannae handle videos today, but I can very easily access that link. I just tried to search and went directly down the rabbit hole.

Awesome, Thanks for the info…the wifi one seems much more up my alley since I’m not always home…my tent needs to be as automatic as possible, I don’t have much $ but I’ll build it little by little

2 Likes

@kmac03 www.houseofhydro.com sells the units and has the videos on their site or they have a YouTube channel as well.

@Notyournxtdorneighbr they are well worth it. Each one has a wide range of parameters you can customize. Cool back temp, refrigerate delay, heat delay, just to name a few. The logging function is one of my favorite things. Now I have a record of my temp/humidity and not just a high/low. They are very easy to set up and use.

2 Likes