How much light for bud development

I have a regular grow box 36 x36 x 72. I switched out the low power Led that came with it.

I’m using a viparspectra 450 w Full spectrum LEd, that actually draws 200 W.

Check the picture and give me some advice, its my very first grow. Using autos.

Plants just hit flowering stage. Question is, is one LED light enough? Plants grew fine and fast. But im hearing you need a lot of light for bud development. I have a second light here fir a backup incase the one fails. Should I hang the second light now in flowering stage ? Or just leave the one light ? I just trimmed lower growths and only bend top leaves out if way to expose bud sites.

Another top view picture. Plants are about 2 feet tall , 6 weeks in.

I just lowered the light for flowering as listed in light manual, 18 to 24 ".

2 Likes

What is your second light? And did you Lower or Raise? What strain, is that 6 pots? What size and what are you feeding now that you have gone into flower

3 Likes

The second light is exactly the same, I got 2 in case on dies on me. I just lowered it down to about 20 " above canopy.

I put 5 pots in there but 3 of the pots have 2 plants in them, 5 gallon pots. Made a mistake. I put one germinated seed in each pot and when I didnt see the seeds sprout I went and planted one more seed in each pot without germination. Well after a few days my original 4 did sprout, and then after a few more days the second seeds sprouted also.

Strain is critical mass autoflower. Plants are around 2 feet tall.

Just switched food to Dyna grow bloom instead of grow.

1 Like

You should strive for 1g per watt so double the lights and if everything else in the environment is great then double your yield

2 Likes

I started with 4 pots that had 2 plants in each one. But then I kept seeing that it wasn’t recommended to have more than one in each. So I moved 2 of the plants out and put them in one pot. Now I have 2 plants solo, and 3 pots have 2 in them

2 Likes

Ok, I can hang the second light right next to the other one at same distance. They have daisy chain power connections.

Thanks. I’ll see what happens after I out second light up

2 Likes

Just wanted to make sure I don’t burn the plants up with 2 lights.

2 Likes

As long as they are the correct distance and the temp in the tent is good youre good

3 Likes

You can always raise the lights if they are too strong. But definitely add the 2nd one.

2 Likes

Be careful not to hang the lights too close to each other. You’ll be getting a hot spot where the light’s overlap. You should get some good results with those lights and that size tent if you space them properly.:+1:

1 Like

Awesome. Thanks for the info. Im putting the second light up now. It will probably help with Temp because it drops to about 65 at night, but only hits around 70 when lights are on with little airflow from fan. Ill watch the day temp with second light and adjust fan speed to compensate if its too warm.

3 Likes

32 watts per square foot is a basic rule of thumb. Modern leds are much more efficient but to get efficiency beyond that you’re going to spend at least $400 on a light.

So just based on this “rule” you would want at least 288 watts of light to yield 1 to 1.5 grams per watt with a basic blurple style led.

1 Like

Any info on the spacing is greatly appreciated. Im assuming ill put them closer to the sides then, to minimize the overlap. And I may raise them up to mid way from what the manual says for distance

2 Likes

@Dantell if you are set up were you can add a second vent fan you can add a electonic temp controller (about 30$ on amazon) to kick in the second fan if temps get too hot. I use one on my incubator they are real accurate to about 1.5 deg. F

1 Like

I have an off of this topic question for you do I continue to use both the Big Bloom and the grow big nutrients throughout the flower stage also or should I cut the grow big and just stick with the Big Bloom molasses and kelp?

And oh yeah I installed my net about 8 to 10 in above the canopy right now so it can grow into it is that correct also? The buds are starting to sprout white hairs today!

4 Likes

@dmtscravey cut the grow big during flower. You don’t want to use it passed the second week of flower. Nitrogen slows the uptake of phosphorus and potassium stunting your bud development. All the nitrogen you need during flower is in the liquid kelp and that tiger bloom.

3 Likes

@dmtscravey you can still use the tiger bloom too but do light feedings with it since that black strap has plenty of potassium in it and it should help that phosphorus issue you had too. 8 to 10 inches above canopy is fine just adjust it by week 3 flower and drop it down if you need. It will let you guide the buds through the net during stretch.

3 Likes

Awesome thank you for the information but I have one question you do mean Big Bloom and not tiger bloom right because I am out of the tiger bloom at the current time and I will cut the grow big and just continue with the big bloom and I don’t know why in the hell they named them all so closely together? And I have to say again these white widows are fabulous plants they are growing like Champs.

3 Likes

@dmtscravey no keep using the big bloom full strength. Tiger bloom is the main one and big bloom is the supplement. You should be OK without the tiger bloom though if you have another source for phosphorus other than the grow big.

2 Likes

I do not have another source of phosphorus other than that so should I just order more tiger bloom and continue to feed with the tiger bloom and the big bloom , molasses and kelp?

4 Likes