How are the outdoor growers doing during this heat wave?

After reading all the comments below, I am glad to be in Florida. It is only 92-95 with 50-90% humidity, high winds and 4 straight days of rain with another wet week coming up! Then the rainy season starts. Started 6 autos outside 04/23 and a couple were stunted a bit, I believe, by the heat. They are doing ok now, though. I have only grown regular Sativas before and they can take whatever FL throws at them and still do well. Luckily I set up LED’s inside to give them xtra light at night and when raining. They are amazing little creatures, like miniature ponies. Start week 9 Monday and frosting nicely. I think my next batch will be indoor girls that go out to sunbathe when it is nice. Did I mention the caterpillars, inch worms, ants, aphids, thrips and white flies I am at war with? But, again I should not complain. I don’t think I could survive, much less thrive, over 105.

2 Likes

When you say “gave them an ice feeding”, what do you do? I stick frozen milk jugs of water between my pots but it melts so fast I just can’t do it every 2 hours.

1 Like

I use those in my tent to lower temps. We actually put ice cubes (nightime) on the soil to melt…it cools the root zone with a slow drip. It was a trick we used when we got near harvest to facilitate winter. Frozen milk jugs to get air temps down to 6-65°f and ice cube melts to get roots down to 50-55°…last 3 weeks…it helped develop terpenes and fall colors as plants thought winter was coming (we reduced lights on to 6-8 hrs)

3 Likes

Thanks. I was afraid an ice cube might hurt them but I guess I will give them an ice cube right now!

I just cut off a small low leaf that was splotchy, yellow tip and crispy and looked at it under a magnifying glass. It has tiny yellow/clear and white eggs! Nothing crawling. What are they? That is probably what is making some of my fan leaves look like crap. Used Monterey Insect stuff and Safer Soap spray a couple times already. Any advice?

1 Like

That’s for someone higher level than me, for sure, as I’ve never grown outside. Sounds like mites, but I’m really just commenting to bump this up. I do know that spider mites like it hot and dry, so perhaps? Can you take a picture?

I have heat damage to one plant after the last three days of heat. Looks like the temps are on their way down over the next week and this should help with my girls recovery.

1 Like

Without seeing them, they could be anything from aphids that live on or under the leaves of plants, piercing them and extracting sap, which can cause leaves to deform or curl up . Grey-white root aphids, on the other hand, live in the soil and can attack plants causing them to wilt and die. Gnats, fly, thrips, mites, on and on…especially that you are in Fl, one of the buggiest places I ever had the please to be in (except rain forests)…

1. You attack insects from 3 different levels…On the plant - insecticidal soap, soap, cayenne pepper (or capsicum, oil) with a couple drops of vinegar to serve as a repellent / knockdown/dehydrate the adults.
  2. When insects are soil born, you need to address them in the substrate…Kill off larvae, eggs, the places where they breed.
  3. the Source - store bought soils, compost, the yard…
    I use my own formulated solution. As a base, it is all Organic and non-GMO, plant based. It not only effectively deals with insects (in the soil, on the plant and up to and including flowering, harvest and drying but it also kills and prevents mold. I add some dish washing liquid (like Dawn, a few drops, some cayenne pepper, few drops of Apple Cider Vinegar and I have a knockdown too (mites, aphids, thrips). Before I add the knockdown, I spray it on the soil, plant and that is all it takes.
    Insects, especially in humid environment where they nourish, can wreck havoc on your plants
3 Likes

You’ve commented this multiple times now. Should it be it’s own heading RE: Heat remedies or whatever? Not telling you what to do, just trying to save you some energy.

it helps to deal with the whirlwind that goes on inside my brain…I like this outlet

3 Likes

Well, then by all means, plug it in. :electric_plug:

1 Like

It is hot in Tucson, Arizona 112 and higher. I have one plant in the ground that is budding now. The other 5 plants are in cloth pots that I take out every morning for 12 hours and then I take them all back to my shed for 12 hours of darkness. They are doing great in this heat but I have to water them about 3 times a day.

5 Likes

I’m following this thread to learn more about heat and how to grow outside here in the west. I’m so glad I’m here in Santa Fe, NM. We did have a couple of days with 100, not nearly as bad as Albuquerque.

1 Like

Beth, my plants, well at least ost of them, survived the 118 we hit…and a week and a half of 110plus…I moved everything in containers to under the trees…I lost a few in the garden, as it gets full sun. Lost all my tomato plants…squash looks like it is melting but every morning, except for burnt edges, it comes back up. I am going to try some heavy PK dosing to see if I can get them to flower

Mike, sorry you lost your tomatoes. I was out giving away a few yesterday. It finally rained here and the temp has dropped. Looks like rain and lower temps all week but too late for farmers here. The poor farmers in the south valley down around Las Cruces were asked this year to fallow their fields because of the dry reservoirs. The Rio Grande River looks pitiful up here where I live, south of here it barely exists. I wonder if there will be any chile or anything else.

I think we are going to face some real natural disasters…with water shortage being up at the top…Same here, water levels are the lowest ever recorded. Water restrictions everywhere. Blessed are those who have wells, as long as the aquifers don’t dry up

1 Like

We are having this happen in places in NM. Very scary. Everyone is talking the climate, no one is talking about the elephant in the room, water.

1 Like

We agree on timing for the creek…
Your gold leaf looks great!
It’s been almost 2 weeks since this pic, how is your holding up in this heat?
If it’s still vibrant I will consider it next grow for our heat.
Since I am in early growth my babies are loving the heat (Pics on Happy with Homegrown)
With @Mrb53004 's help I am finishing off my volunteers, about 3 weeks out now (pics on Volunteers…) and the molasses ice cubes are 1 new experiment that is a keeper for next year.

3 Likes

Michael,
I harvested my gold leaf this weekend. She finished over the last two weeks. I was surprised that she never really got any gold leafs. Not sure the yield yet, but once they dry, I will have a better idea. But buds look good and dense with plenty of resin. I like to harvest just as the amber is starting, maybe this is why no gold leaf.

they only get GOLD LEAFS if you pot them at the end of the rainbow :slight_smile:

4 Likes