HLG 300L R-Spec LED Grow Light?

Absolutely brand new to growing cannabis, but not new to growing beautiful vegetables in my garden. I’m trying to pick out an indoor grow tent and all supplies that I think I’ll need.
So far I have chosen

1. 2x4 standard Gorilla tent
  2. Vortex carbon filter, fan, ducting
    Not sure about the lighting:
    Will this LED light work from seed to harvest?
    Horticulture Lighting Group HLG 300L R-Spec LED Grow Light
1 Like

Hi and Welcome!
Tent - that works (I recommend to get as tall as possible). Sativa dominant can grow 5- 6ft tall easily and you might want to stand up in it, especially to work
You did not state whether you are considering Indica heavy or Sativa and Auto or photo period.
Fan - yep, is it the 6"?
Light…for sure usually 20-30 watts per sq ft. You are at 8. Easily veg and flower with that device. Is it the V2?

3 Likes

@icandyarn that tent and those exhaust and filtration items will work just fine. The HLG R-Spec lights are designed for flower and the B-Spec are designed for veg. You can use an R-Spec seed to harvest if you want but without the blues etc of the B-Spec lights your plant will grow tall and spindly and won’t have a lot of lush foliage.

5 Likes

That will grow MJ. I running the 320xl. My last grow it was in a 3×4 (now larger with more light) and it produced well using autoflower seed.

I am about to order another 320xl I like it so much.

Now that you’ve got the basics, read a bit more and start popping beans. Theres no substitute for experience.

HLG lights are some of the best on the market,

6 Likes

Hello Mike,
I plan on growing GDP fem. in a 2x4x6’11" Gorilla tent.
The light is this one in question. https://horticulturelightinggroup.com/collections/lamps/products/hlg-300l-rspec
The Vortex carbon filter, fan, and duct work are 4". Fan speed is adjustable so I don’t end up sucking the walls of the small tent in.

2 Likes

Thanks for that info…Well I must get a B-spec light also. I want med to short stocky plants.

2 Likes

Do you mean you will have 2 lights in this tent…both HLG’s…I do not understand. Would you run the B during veg to try and keep node spacing close and then switch to R for flowering period?

2 Likes

I will only have 1 light in there at a time. I’ll use the HLG B-Spec for veg. and switch to HLG R-Spec for flower. I think that should work.

1 Like

I get most of the things that I need a I don’t have anything in this company just to let you know that I don’t get anything for saying anything. I go to HTG growing supply and I have a 8-8 grow tent I just replaced a 10-10 tent. I run two of the 750 raw series LED light they have a 6-6 foot print for veg and a 4 and half foot print by 4 and half foot print for flowers and the light is dimable I don’t spell well forgive me for that. And my tent was around 300 dollars and I use a six inch carbon filter and I stand it up keeping it in my tent and I am happy. I tried the hang up but I didn’t really see anything different doing this. But watch out for the smell and I have a good location for my growing. Hope this helps you. Stay safe and grow happy

1 Like

So you will buy 2 lights… Why not just get a small Blue spectrum cheap light just for the veg portion and have 2 lights in same tent.
I run 3 lights and awaiting my 4th and all run in same tent. Blues for sprouting / veg, red and far red for flowering, a full spectrum and that does not include my UVA/UVB.
Ebay has / had agromax bulbs https://www.ebay.com/itm/160895821950?var=460631404880&ul_noapp=true. You could look for 3000k on google, amazon, ebay or even go 10000 white light. $400 for HLG is kind of steep just to have blue spectrum. But, if this is easily affordable to you, that would be a pristine setup

1 Like

If you want you can use both lights, b-spec for veg and r-spec for flower. I’ve had very good luck growing autoflowers under just the r-spec from seed to harvest. But most auto only spend 14-21 days at most in veg before they flower. While the b-spec will most certainly give you tighter node spacing, you can achieve some of that by just running the lights closer to the plant. And with most LED, and certainly HLG you can get pretty close to your plants without burning.

2 Likes

I’m interested in trying this, is it for photos only or can I also use for autos?

auto / photo - doesn’t matter…it is just as Rye says…plants, all plants, perform according to the spectrum they are exposed to. If a part of the spectrum is missing or weak, the associated growth responses will be weak

2 Likes

HLG is top notch,you cant go wrong. That being said we run 600 R-specs in our flower room. B-spec are great for a dedicated veg room,but bang for buck from seed to harvest,i would recommend R-specs.

3 Likes

@c4stevo what strain is that?also what size tent are you running the HLG 600 rspec in?

It was a clone of headband haze that turned out to not be headband haze sadly. One of the main reasons we went back to seeds. One of our 600’s are in a 4’w x 3’d x 6’h. Had to upgrade the ventalation system twice but i love the results.
Edit:please excuse the dog hair,my little chi loves to check on our plants together,if i dont hold her she tries to eat them lol

3 Likes

I finally added filters to my intakes just because of the dog and cat hair. It helped but I also allow my cat and one of the dogs into the grow room with me so…

3 Likes

I had a large operation and the dog brought in pests…be careful there

2 Likes

@c4stevo those hlg lights do produce a lot of heat :fire:they should have made them with the driver being removable I had to add a intake fan from the a/c this summer was hot by me. On the flip side tho I probably wouldn’t have to worry about heat in the winter

2 Likes

Ya the 600’s can put out some serious heat compared to my mars hydro and spider farmers but i love the quality. Im gunna have to get an A/C unit during summer though.

2 Likes