HELP! i’m new to this solo and i’m struggling

Im underneath you in ky

Hey @Mrb53004 I’ve been looking for you something you can use for nitrogen instead of grass im sure you use coffee grounds and flower clippings does weeds grow there

Thats what forcasters are saying for my zip code, I’ll be leaving them all in containers so they can be moved if needed…If its going to be in 30’s at night I can put them in the barn.

I use coffee…along with that N comes acidity so I am careful there as we drink alot of coffee. I also feed it to my worms
I bought some barley and have mixed it in some of my containers…When I prepare my mix for my existing containers, I remove about 1/4 of the upper portion of the container, add 1 cup 4.4.4. organic fertilizer, some gypsum, sometimes a small amount of lime, 2 cups barley (as it sprouts, it provides nitrogen), additives (minerals, vitamins, etc), composted soil, and either a cup of living soil (where the plant will be potted) or equivalent nutrients (of a living soil), then peat right where the seedling / cutting will go to buffer during the rooting transition
I thought about beans, peas, even clover as a N boost but I am not too concerned…What I really wanted was the HEAT that comes from that layer of grass…I am layering cardboard on top to act as a heat trapping barrier…I will see what that does. With Summer temps here easily in the 105+ range, I know my compost gets to 135° /140° easily…kills off the pathogens
Maybe I will just sprout my barley on the compost pile and do it that way? What do you think about that (just came to me as I was typing this)

1 Like

WOW. I have so much to learn about nutrients! At what point do i add nutrients? i brew coffee every morning that i add to my compost bin when done. should i now save it for my babies?

It will be a very UPLIFTING HIGH unless you use decaf! lol just kiddin… :yum:

Coffee grinds for the compost pile. Eventually the compost pile goes to the plant containers and has had the time to give off its Nitrogen and loose some of the acidity it brings
We generally do not feed “babies” anything but PLAIN water till around 3 weeks old. This is if they are raised in a neutral substrate like coco or peat or rockwool. If you do it in soil…almost all soils contain nutrients. Mother Earth has nutrients built in. I would water only.
You did not state that any of your plants are autoflowers so I assume all photoperiod and possibly feminized. You have at least 2 or 3 months (or more) of vegging ahead of you before they begin to flower. Sometimes you will not get cold enough or dark enough till late august. Are you planning to keep the plants mobile (move containers in/out) or do you plan on building “DARK BOXES” to cover you plants to FLIP 12/12 to induce flowering? I would water only and keep close tabs on the plants. Add molasses and cal/mag and kelp as additives but for nutrition, let the plant tell you. Keep posting pics as they are growing and you can supplement along the way. A simple organic 20-10-20, would take you to flowering and then any bloom fertilizer will take you to harvest. Much of this depends on where the plants are (pots or the ground)
question…if Mike is N or you and he is upstate NY (I assume like Poughkeepsie / Albany / Syracuse / Rochester…etc), where are you Yonkers, Westchester?

Mr B. i’m gonna need your guidance along the way. i’m thinking to just put them in the ground and leave the rest up to mother nature. i am in the metro area. i’m still in the process of treating the soil and won’t be ready for another 2 weeks. so for now i’ll take them in and out. dark boxes?

:joy::rofl::rofl::rofl::crazy_face:. i’m sure. gonna dig out my compost

1 Like

so i have decided to repot and take them out later. tomorrow will be 79

2 Likes

Well Heidi, this is becoming :grin: some fascination…
I like outdoors…nothing like sunshine to help them grow and get strong
I also like planting in the ground over making soil in containers…What happens inside mother earth is hard to duplicate
When I plant in the ground, I even water with my hose where in my containers, they all get special water

79° make sure they do not get too much sun…Don’t want them frying becasue they are not conditioned

BTW, what size are the cloth bags?

:joy:. i know. i m probably too excited. these are 1 gallon bags. i’m not ready to put in the ground just yet. i have 1 auto flower that i will leave in a 5 gallon but the others go in.

2 Likes

So if you don’t smoke…is this just for the hobby? You can give it away to friends / family…
The favorite part of my garden is the canna…I plant my veggies and spices and they just grow. Canna needs to be tendered…I guess I am a bud tender…If I raise chicken, I could be a chicken tender :crazy_face:

My daughter and most of my friends smoke so they will all enjoyed the fruits of my labor. my daughter had developed a stomach issue called cannibasis so i’m mainly doing it so she can have organic smoke as opposed to those laced stuff they have out there.
i do lots of veggies as well i enjoy watching my garden flourish i am a garden tender🤪

4 Likes

hello. here is my update. theses things are moving ver slow. and could you tell me what those gold dots are. should i be worried? i think my next grow will be in a tent

2 Likes

it doesn’t look like there are the same spots on all the other plants. Sometimes it comes from misting them and lights refract the heat (like little burn spots from a magnifying glass), it can be nutrient spots from dripping solution on them. Can be from a mite or bug (if you took them outside)
Just keep your eyes on it/them…lets ask a friend
@MDBuds —asking your opinion on this

2 Likes

@Mrb53004 I concur. It looks like water or nutrients got on the leaves during lights on and caused some burning.

1 Like

so nothing to worry about? i was misting while under lights but i haven’t used any nutrients so far. thanks :pray:t4:

1 Like

@HeidiS stop misting with lights on. Start misting before or after and monitor the leaves. If no new growth has those spots we know it was burning from misting with lights on.

1 Like

@MDBuds i haven’t mist since my initial post here for help. they have been out doors for the past week. i will monitor for new spots. THANKS

2 Likes