Growing Small / when to flip

Good day to all…
On day 40 of my Grand Mommy Purple. My 2nd attempt at manifolding and everything is in place for 8 colas.
I’d like to keep the plant on the small side seeing as how I only grow for myself and an ounce can last me forever. Unless I’m making edibles…
Has anyone changed light schedules early to 12/12 with keeping it small in mind?
Thanks

1 Like

I went ahead and changed the light schedule from 18/6 to 12/12…
We’ll see what the future holds…

2 Likes

You can grow them on 12/12 from day 1. I flipped my Grape Apes at 28 days and they were shorter than my last grow I waited and doubled my yield flipping at around 8 weeks. I think you will be fine with the stretch now.

2 Likes

She’ll be fine, And in a small pot an early flip is better than a late flip. If you have container size and tent size then a 60 day flip would be preferable.

IMO letting her fully sex and mature a couple extra weeks is ideal. You’ll have a smoother transition into the stretch (faster and taller) which will obviously induce better branching, reduce the risk of Hermes, etc.

… But the alternative of a late flip in a small pot is harder to deal with imo. If flowering in a 5gal, I would generally try to veg her in a 1.5g and transplant her just prior to flipping to 12hrs which should prevent her from going root bound too early in flower. Ill probably even do that although not necessary with earth boxes but It saves a lot of space while vegging.

2 Likes

It’s been 9 days since changing the lights to 12/12. Have the plant growing in a 3 gallon fabric pot. Did some LST and all is going fine.

1 Like

16 days flower and doing fine…

3 Likes

26 days into flower…

1 Like

Flower 36 days

1 Like

She will be okay. When it comes to a small pot, flipping early is more advantageous than flipping late. If you have information about the container size and tent size, opting for a 60-day flip would be preferable.

In my opinion, allowing her to fully mature and show her sex for a couple of extra weeks is the ideal approach. This strategy leads to a smoother transition into the stretching phase, resulting in faster and taller growth. Additionally, it promotes better branching and reduces the risk of hermaphroditism.

However, the alternative of a late flip in a small pot can be challenging to manage, in my opinion. If flowering in a 5-gallon container, I generally recommend vegging her in a 1.5-gallon container and transplanting just before switching to a 12-hour light cycle. This helps prevent her from becoming root-bound too early in the flowering stage. I might even follow this practice, although it’s not necessary with earth boxes, as it saves a significant amount of space during the vegetative phase.

1 Like

Flower day 49

1 Like

She will be fine. When dealing with a compact container, flipping early proves more advantageous than flipping late. If you possess details about the container size and tent dimensions, opting for a 60-day flip would be preferable, especially when considering Marcgravia red umbellata.

In my view, allowing her to reach full maturity and reveal her sex for a couple of additional weeks represents the optimal approach. This method facilitates a smoother transition into the stretching phase, resulting in quicker and taller growth. Furthermore, it encourages improved branching and minimizes the risk of hermaphroditism.

Nevertheless, opting for a late flip in a small pot can pose challenges, in my opinion. If flowering in a 5-gallon container, I generally suggest allowing her to vegetate in a 1.5-gallon container and transplanting just before transitioning to a 12-hour light cycle. This helps prevent premature root binding during the flowering stage. I might even adopt this practice, although it’s not imperative with earth boxes, as it conserves a significant amount of space during the vegetative phase.

1 Like

Flower day 67

3 Likes

Coming along nicely… Flowers looking good!

2 Likes

Finished drying/curing today, it still will cure more over time. Total of 1.9 oz. Nice flavor

5 Likes