Grand Daddy Purple (Problems)

Hello fellow growers, I hope someone with more experience than I have can tell me what I’m doing wrong. I have 3 Grand Daddy Purple in 3 gal. pots from HGCC. Don’t know if its me or this particular strain but I’m in week 6 of flower and I just don’t see these flowers developing, this is my 3rd grow. By week 6 of flower of the previous grows I had notable flower growth (BUDS).
I’m in Coco Coir, Perlite, Red Lava Rocks, Vermis Terra Worm Casting and some Bio Char Compost Hero. Tent environment lights on 77-80 degrees F, Humidity 60%. Lights off 70-73 F Humidity tends to dip down 57%. I just increased PPM from 375 up to 500, PH always between 5.8 to 6.0. I am using bottle nutrients Cyco. I don’t know but I may have over defoliated them? I have two Spider Farmer 1000 in a 2x4 tent lights are know up to 100% from 80% and are 17inches from cannopy.20230828_214108|375x500

3 Likes

You have 3 nicely flowering plants, just keep doing what you have been doing. Water, light, and love. You might have 3 to 6 weeks left before harvest. I bet by then you will be pleasantly surprised with what you have accomplished.

Hey thanks Darodguy, I did a little more research on GDP and found out I have a 10 -12 week flower time with these ladies. I was kind of concerned with the first 5-6 week growth I observed.

1 Like

Yeah, it is nice when you can just look up a cultivar and get some information about it. Then you have my situation where the cultivar is unknown and any word of mouth info is from growing out doors. I know that he harvested last year around early to mid October. I thought I might be harvesting at 8-10 weeks, but after only 5 1/2 weeks of flower, half of the pistols are orange or brown. So I am looking at probably a 7 week harvest for that plant. I am learning how to go with the flow. After you get a couple of grows under your belt, you will learn how to interpret what your plants are telling you.

Do you have any pics available, I too am learning sometimes you have to just go with the flow. I’ll give these ladies a couple more weeks then I’ll post pics of there growth. I’m realizing that their is a lot more to this than feeding and lighting, hell all i want is to produce some quality flower for myself! My previous grows produced some OK stuff, I believe I can do a lot better.

1 Like

Here is a pic of Papi Gato, a medicinal strain from a Grandaddy Purple x a potent cbd strain. It tested at 10% cbd and 15% thc. Here she was at around 7 weeks of flower.

3 Likes

Oh yeah, she was bred by @MDBuds.

I hate to tell you but sometimes it really comes down to the breeders that you are getting your seeds from.

1 Like

Oh yeah she is gorgeous, not much longer before she finishes.

1 Like

What is really nice is when you can talk to the breeder. That Papi Gato from MDBuds is a tester plant. I was in communication with him for most of the grow. Enlightening.

Looking good. Maybe a little light stretch. Might want to lower it a tad.
But you are going to have a good grow.

3 Likes

lights are 100%, and I’m am always open to advice to learn and improve my grows, now dimmed to 85% and 18 inches away from canopy.

2 Likes

Not sure if you ment I should move lights a tad closer or dim down a tad. I have heard that to much light could lead to tricomes lose ?

Actually I meant to move them closer. One thumb-rule is the back of hand method. Place your hand, palm down on the top of the canopy and lower your light until you feel the heat. For me, it’s about 12 inches. I also tilt my light to get better penetration and I turn my pot a quarter of a turn every six hours.
Of course, you have the SOG net so that is not practical.
Light-stretch usually starts as seedlings and the plant seems to stay stretched throughout its life. I learned the hard way and basically grew vines. One guy told me he plants the other end into the soil too!! Not sure if it is true. That would make it grow like the Banyan tree. LOL

But hey, stranger things have happened.

2 Likes

Ok I understand and makes a lot since. I was trying to follow SF recommend light distance. The two lights I’m using has a dimmer currently 80%, so using your recommend method they should be at 100%?

1 Like

If you are really energetic, you can do what I was doing for a while. I would turn the light on at 70 for the first couple of hours and then crank it up to 100%.
When a couple of hours from the shut offside, I would do down power it to 70%.
The idea was to mimic the sun.
But I do not think it made any difference.

Crank it to 100% and lower it until you feel heat on the back of your palm at canopy height and then raise it an inch or two. You will do just fine.

From my experience, there is no recovery from stretched plants. They will grow stretched until harvest. Still good bud but you have to manage them as vines. LOL

2 Likes

Yeah, if they stretch a little, its okay, the buds won’t know the difference as they are being smoked!

2 Likes

I would keep them at about 12-16" from top of canopy for SF1000 during flower. I generally like my lights a little higher but your plants will eat every bit of the sf1000s up at 12" during stacking… Just off center the tops a little from the light if they start getting stressed but I doubt it with those lights. With a fan blowing the heat away they will be fine. Then you can raise them 6-8" when they begin to finish out. I’ve used those lights a lot in the past before I gave them to my niece and they do a great job.

2 Likes

Thanks for the info Robert, I plan on posting knew pics of my grow later on tonight when the lights come on.

not exactly on topic there Mich.

1 Like