Gently pulled the seed and took off her Head

*Hey guys! *
Wow! where to begin. currently growing a few White Widow autos and one had a problem releasing the seed when it sprouted. It may happen sometimes where you have to gently push off the seed to allow it to grow lol. Here’s where I was not as delicate as I thought. I Ended up decapitating my baby.1/4 of an inch tap root with no head :pensive: I thought to Myself. Maybe theres hope?
*It’s been 6 days since then and I checked with my Trychome scope. A set of leaves or leaf has appeared ! I’m in such aww. I’ve never been so happy. I can’t stress this enough how careful you must be at germination. I am sharing to let fellow growers know of my tragic experience but exciting discovery. I’ve never seen such a thing. I’ll continue to inform you all of her growth! *

*Happy growing! *
-elsunnyyy93

3 Likes

That’s a sign of good genetics. If you can tear off the cotyledons and it still grows that’s one tough plant.

I had to free one of mine from the seed as well. It germinated and started to sprout but the cotyledons were still stuck in the seed and it was starting to wilt because it wasn’t getting enough light to photosynthesize.

The best method I have found to free a sprout from the seed is to use a sterile pair of forceps with cotton wrapped around them and gently but firmly hold the bottom of the stem so you don’t upset the roots. Then take a small pair of sterile scissors like you would have in a sewing or manicure kit and gently cut around the seed ridge. After making a few small cuts use a pair of sterile tweezers or another pair of small sterile forceps and put them in between the two pieces of the seed shell and gently pull apart to pry the seed open a little at a time as not to damage the seedling. If done successfully it will free the seedling from the seed shell without harm.

2 Likes

@Cannabisaur93

they fall off @MDBuds space Ships :laughing:

2 Likes

MDBuds!

These tips are gold! I appreciate the Info! Now I know how I’ll be handling it next time! Cheers! #homegrown-cannabis-co-strains #beginner #indoor #weakwrist

1 Like

@DollarBill I love it when they just fall off. Makes it so much easier. All of my plants this time had tough seeds. They’re still stuck on the cotyledons of the plants i didn’t remove them from because they weren’t causing an issue. :joy:

1 Like

You’re welcome @Cannabisaur93. I’ve broken and drowned a few seedlings in my day and I’m more than happy to share my experience.

1 Like

@MDBuds @Cannabisaur93 my wife is still mad that i culled that little seed. but i kept the pics as a reminder of The Third Kind. GG # 4 seeds popped out of the soil today with no stems to think of :sunglasses:

2 Likes

@DollarBill that’s why I prefer soil germination but the environment in my tent right now with all these fires going on around me keeps that from being possible. The air is so dry sometimes the humidity in my tent can drop to 10% even with my humidifier going. I need to keep domes on my plants at all times and water almost every day right now.

1 Like

@MDBuds same issue here. Hope it ends soon. Stay safe brother

1 Like

Im germinating some in coco coir with perlite and some in Fox Farm. Both doing really well so far :call_me_hand:t5:

1 Like

@Cannabisaur93 you too brother. Keep those go bags ready. I almost had to evacuate a few weeks ago when that fire hit the 99 by the garden highway. Glad they got that one under control fast because that one was only a few miles from my house.

@MDBuds we were just the other side of the mountain maybe 6 miles from the Big Horn Fire. (200 thousand acres) wind blowing the other way. my head was messed up for 3 weeks over the smoke

1 Like

@DollarBill @MDBuds it’s crazy to think not long ago fires weren’t uncommon but never as bad as today. Definitely gotta have some bags ready.

2 Likes

@Cannabisaur93 yes, we have to be aware, we moved my wifes pony to a rented stable down in the valley. 6 miles was to close for us and Monsoon Season is over our dry season is usually late fall and winter

1 Like

Gee, and here I was just worried about Covid :stuck_out_tongue:. Bless you all an may you be safe

1 Like

By the way, I have NEVER pulled a cotyledons off. Guess I been blessed with great genetics. Doesn’t mean I haven’t lost my fair share to bacteria, bad genetics, (what we called “dirty seeds”). 50 years you kinda have to come across it all

1 Like

Speaking of fires and loosing crops - In the 70’s, I was living on Long Island. I was a block away from the Southern State parkway. There was a clearing in the woods between my neighborhood and the highway. I planted a 70 plant crop of Panama Red and Acapulco Gold. It was growing phenomenally. On the 4th of July, I lit a rocket off my back porch. Murphy made sure it landed right in the middle of that crop. Fire dept came, along with our local police, and waited for it to BURN down before they doused with water. What a bummer!

1 Like

@Mrb53004 @Cannabisaur93 @MDBuds i have 4 of these one day old Homegrown GG #4 Fem. going now for my winter grow. :slight_smile: even my wife is excited

Planted in the soil :yum: No Stem

1 Like

@Mrb53004 '95 i had a crop on a beautiful dry creek that never took water next to a new creek channel storms had created. i use to hike 3 miles to water those 180 plants. one day i parked my truck and noticed a Helicopter at the bottom on the hill. next day local news: POOFT the fire department destroys Cartel Marijuana Grow. :laughing: they blew it far out of porportion and Next Year grasshoppers ate all but the roots even eating the stem skin :sunglasses: that’s why i try not to be hard on the city folks scrounging thru the forest for wild weed. if it’s Wild it’s Free

When i was teenager and use to ginseng all the time and ive come up on some monster patches

1 Like