First Run, Is it Time?

what is your milk formula - is it 9 to 1? That is perfect for powdery mildew and watch the humidity and airflow

Maybe a little more milk lol, the leaves I managed to carefully wipe clean have come up looking clean today but the leaves don’t look as healthy as they should, in my opinion, and I am still noticing some patches throughout the inside of the hard to reach foliage. I fear leaving any residual PM surely it will bounce back.

Milk is safe to use on the buds too so don’t worry about saturating them and the leaves with the solution. You can use up to a 50/50 mix if necessary. Let it sit for a day or two before rinsing so the bacteria and acids in the milk have time to do their thing and kill the fungal spores. Then you can just rinse before harvest and hang drying so you don’t get that milk taste on your buds. I’ve used it effectively for years.

Make sure though after you rinse before hang dry that you have a dehumidifier set up at 50% and you have a fan to circulate air in your drying space so you can prevent more mold and powdery mildew as they dry. You can pretreat the drying space with the milk solution too to kill any mold spores that might already be in there before you hang and dry.

Happy growing man. :v::call_me_hand::metal:

3 Likes

That is creative thanks for sharing

1 Like

Top stuff mate, I used 1 part water to two parts milk and washed off about half an hour later as I read the foliage cannot breathe whilst smothered in the solution, again I have to sift through the over precautions everybody suggest. So how many days do you think I should leave the solution and is it okay under lights? Thanks MDB

2 Likes

You chop by your trichome not your pistols but i would flush out all nutrients and plan to chop in 1 week.

1 Like

Henry - do not wash off immediately. Spray, spritz, get it in the nooks and crannies. There are 2 different mindsets to Powdery Mildew and milk. One is 2 milk to 1 water. Fat content doesn’t matter. This needs to be rinsed off in a cpl days. The plants will survive the soaking but not the mildew. The other is 9 water to 1 milk. Spray daily for a couple few days. Do not wash out in-between. Use the spray bottle to get in there after the 2nd day and it will literately wash away the mildew. After a week, clean water only.
Never mist under the lights, it can cause burn. That doesn’t mean you have to wait overnight but turn lights off, spray, wait an hour, turn on as long as the plants are not dripping. Remember, this adds humidity which caused your problem in the first place. Make sure you have that fan going and never on the plants. If you are close to cropping, you can 9:1 until you take them down, soak in clean water and hang out to dry.

3 Likes

I just do a light misting daily in the morning before lights on. It is true that the more milk you use in the solution the more likely it is to prevent the stomata from functioning properly but if you mix it right no more than 50/50 like I said the plant will actually take in water and glucose from the milk as a foliar feeding. As long as the plant is not dripping when the lights come back on you should be fine with the lights as well. This will kill all of the mold spores in a few days and no need to worry about rinsing until harvest.

For preventative treatment I use a ratio of 1 part milk to 9 parts water or 10% to 90% once weekly. For treatment I use 25% milk to 75% water up to a 50-50% mixture.

You can use straight milk too for tough mold and mildew problems but it should be rinsed after 24 hours and you need to make sure that you have fans and a dehumidifier going so the increased humidity from rinsing doesn’t cause more mold.

4 Likes

Not to sure how far out it is but most Trichomes are translucent at the moment, so everyday 9to1 ratio, then wash the whole bud? Like in the Jorge Cervantes Video except without the H202? Many Thanks Everybody.

2 Likes

@Henry just a water rinse before hang drying will suffice. Milk is very effective at killing mold and mildew.

If you’re worried that all the mold and mildew isn’t dead from the milk treatments you can do a H202 wash and then rinse with distilled water before hang drying. It won’t hurt and it won’t set you back either because peroxide is pretty cheap.

2 Likes

Perfect,I’ll start this afternoon when lights off. Hopefully won’t have use the peroxide. The outer foliage i treated already looks like it’s done the job, I was just half hearted whilst spraying them due to buds but I’m going give them a good drench, how do you suggest drying the foliage to reduce humidity? Should I just pat down with paper towels.

2 Likes

@Henry just a good oscillating fan is all you need to keep good airflow. If you have it dripping dabbing some off with a paper towel before lights come on can help keep humidity down a bit and prevent burning but I’ve never personally had to do that myself.

Another good tip is after you spray the plants you can disinfect your tools with it too and use the rest as fertilizer. Soil microbes love milk.

4 Likes

Been drying for a week, Chopped today and ready to start the cure. The buds look quite loose but i am over the moon with it. Thank you all for the advice.

5 Likes