First grow...newbie questions

I mixed into the compost an active aquarium substrate that helps keep pH of water below 7.0…did it on a whim to see how it would perform. I use same soil in my planted aquariums…

You can get a ph tester pretty reasonable on ebay or amazon, unless you have a hydroponics shop near by,that way you will know your ph every time you water/feed…I have learned alot on this forum, so your in the right place.

Weekly Update

110 days in and starting to see just a few amber colored trichomes. should I start thinking about stopping feedings and start flushing?

2 Likes

Leaves are giving up their life for the buds…Have you lowered your temps? Ttry cold water feeding (like 50-55° one or 2 times to shock the buds…If you can drop the temp to 60-65°…she will really think winter is coming on strong…extend the dark to 14 or 15 hours…In about a week, you can begin the downhill journey…you ain’t far now…cept to smoke of course…drying, curing…MORE WAITING!

I would appreciate other opinions @MDBuds @Kronic @Daddy1971 @Khatru @CkNugz

6 Likes

The “cold shock” watering will also possibly turn them purple

8 Likes

temps inside tent are averaging 70-75 now that it is warming up here…I have opened tent flap to help exhaust some warm air and light cycles off from 10am-4pm. will try chilling some water as suggested.

Thx again for all the tips/tricks…anxious to get my first grow in the jar. Got another seed germinating for grow #2

To add to what @Mrb53004 said lowering humidity to 30-40% will bring on some more color and trichomes. Putting some ice on top of your pots during the dark period will work too and it will water your plants as it melts. The ice trick is one of the best ones imo outside of full environmental manipulation.

5 Likes

That is a beutiful pic, I love that color…

1 Like

Cool that root zone my dood!:sunglasses:…, colors will show esp. If said strain is susceptible to color manipulation, or if it’s in the lineage…, also you can play around and alter the ph of your media…, either more acidic or alkaline… you may be surprised of the COLORS!..™

So for my next grow, I will be using same set up only changing strain (HGCC “Caramel Cream” fem.). This will be first time doing photo period strain. As I stated before my water is consistently pH neutral at 7.0. when/how should I implement molasses into feeding schedule?

1 Like

@hhholds I use molasses in small amounts seed to harvest along with liquid kelp. I use 1 tsp per gallon each. I’ll do two large feedings too at 2 tbsp per gallon each every 4 weeks.

The trick is to balance the ph with other organic amendments like liquid kelp. My water by itself is around 6.5 but when I do my molasses and kelp mix it usually comes in between 6.8 and 7. To help vary the ph for nutrient uptake I will switch back and forth sometimes as well depending on what the plants need. Sometimes just a tsp of liquid kelp in the water and it brings ph to about 7.5 or sometimes just a tsp of molasses and it brings the ph to about 5.8-6.0.

Letting the soil ph fluctuate is good for nutrient uptake so I try to mimic that with my waterings and feedings and usually adjust it with what the plants need.

4 Likes

Do you ph the water used to make ice??

2 Likes

Yes any water that goes to your plants

2 Likes

@Adcrag yeah. Any water used on your plants should be in ph range including the ice.

4 Likes

Is this “Foxtailing”?
20210503_172835|375x500

2 Likes

currently at day 115 and starting to see amber trichomes, especially on the bigger buds. would it be safe to say…“It’s Time!”?

was thinking I would go lights out on day 120 then harvest and move on to grow #2

I would NOT consider this FOXTAILING…you have new / fresh pistils (and even before I look at trikes, I look to see if the pistils are getting orange / brown. It is a good indicator to CHECK THE TRICHOMES), not flowers on flowers…if you are checking trikes, make sure you get down, inside the bud…many time surface trikes / those at the top of the buds…will mature while the majority are still clear or milky. It doesn’t always ripen at the same time.

1 Like

Yea the areas I’m seeing amber are on the outer most parts of the bud, and at this time only a small % are amber in color. Most are still milky. I will try to get some pics.

don’t really have correct equipment to get macro shots but you were correct…still seeing a lot of clear to milky trikes on inner parts of the bud… did another ice watering today. At what stage of the trike development should I do a final flush?