Enlighten me with a few lights….💡

Is there a hands-down light that outshines them all (figuratively)…? (Or a couple that would do nicely)

I’d hate to have everything else go perfect and have a small yield because I didn’t use enough light. Any suggestions of what’s hot and what’s not? Dimmer feature helpful?……… new stuff coming out all the time if you snooze looking at it for six months, you’ll miss it. Should I get a smaller led unit and supplement with my 4’ T5……or get a nice led to shine on them all? (Like a 4x4’). I’m planning on 4-6 plants. The tent is 5x5
So damn many out there any help sifting through would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance for any suggestions :+1:t3:

Greg

1 Like

HLG Scorpion Diablo X/Diablo/RSpec are very nice in a 5x5. Watch hanging height when shopping . . . a light that needs to be 3’ or so above canopy eats grow space fast in a tent.

3 Likes

Thanks for your response Chuck.

So if the tent height is 80” the plants could only grow to 4’ before there could be issues?

I remember using the t5 within 1’ w/o damage. Is the 3’ distance to canopy approximate ?

Not sure yet what the maximum height is for the light level in the tent.

I had 2 OGKUSH’s go over 6.5 feet on my deck this summer.

Guess if I had to I could top anything that would/should be tall.

Am I thinking along the right lines?

Thanks again bud… Greg

Agree with chuck the hlg seem stand alone top of the range.
That’s scorpion diablo is a beast

1 Like

Yes, light manufacturers give recommended heights above the canopy . . . this is more or less unusable space as far as plant height. Choose a light that can hang closer to the canopy . . . I suggested the HLG Scorpion line because it is designed to be closer to canopy in a rack configuration so does very well in a tent or lower ceiling basement such as I have.

1 Like

Topping and training are pretty much a way of life in a tent . . . 80" vertical goes quick when you’ve got to give up space to pots, lights, fans, etc.

2 Likes

Hi Damian,
I’ve been looking at them and I see they seem to be at “that “ level. I’d love to plug that thing in and never look back .
Unfortunately I’m on SSDI and that sob would take my entire check. Guess I’ll have to take some time and look at what’s the best in what I can afford.
My problem is it really bothers me to go through all the motions of what’s necessary to do it right, and accepting any shortcomings due to just not having enough “light “balls to get it done right.
Maybe I should mention that I have 8- 75w led grow spots I can fill with, and a 4’ 200w T5.
Would these add-ons help the cause enough to go with a lower cost “Main” reactor?
All thoughts welcomed :+1:t3:. Thanks in advance.

Greg

I was thinking just that Chuck :+1:t3:. Thanks for the info.

G

I’d take a look at Migro lighting . . . a modular design that hangs at 10" above canopy. Their Aray 12 is a 5x5 light and runs around $750 . . . it’s basically 3 Aray 4’s connected. A fella could buy one Aray 4 and start vegging, add another as they grow and finally a third in flower . . . 2 Aray 4’s would veg a 5x5 and likely flower it if growing Autos, need the 3rd one to pack a 5x5 with photoperiods stacking bud.

They sell connectors to do this with but having separate units can be nice also. A 6 pound light (even 3 connected) is easier to handle than the 35-40 pound HLG Scorpion I have.

1 Like

I’ll check those out Chuck. Appreciate the insight.
:+1:t3:

Greg

There are a lot but try get one or two or three with Samsung diodes. I think the lm301h are the best followed by the lm301b.
Whatever light if fit for size with these diodes will be the bomb.
Research the specs Inc. Par, ppf ppfd and amount of light.
They do say the light is the biggest and most important investment. I’m in the same boat but hlg defo the best. They do various models but I dream of owning the scorpion diablo

2 Likes

I felt the same way, I wanted the best lamp they had . . . just make sure it’s what you need before buying. I spoke with HLG customer support at length when I bought the Scorpion Rspec . . . the rep actually recommended the Rspec over the Diablo as I was planning to use it as a flower lamp only. The Diablo is the better lamp, he made that clear, it was just more lamp than I needed for what I wanted to do. The now discontinued Diablo 200 is my veg light.

1 Like

I use an HLG 300R in my little 2x4. Couldn’t be more perfect. The 600R is perfect for a 4x4 or 5x5.

1 Like

SF 4000 for my 4x4 is perfect for me with nice results.
nice features and a fair price point. :sunglasses:

3 Likes

How long have you been running the SF4000? Are you seeing any brown/burnt looking spots on the boards/connections?

Spider Farmer was seeing quite a few issues with this about a year ago . . . heat issues, burned marks, and glue melting from QB’s. I’m a bit behind on the issue but I do know they had typical china customer support at that time as well.

All I know for sure about SF is if I were running them I’d have a ball extinguisher nearby . . . not that we shouldn’t all have them regardless of light brands.

2 Likes

Man I went with bestva bp1000/I was on s budget couldn’t afford pay high price for a light so Far bp1000 is great awsoeme light my lady’s are looking frosty well worth 69$ can’t go wrong

1 Like

no problems, so far.
this is my first run.
i harvested on Dec. 4
i’m just waiting for my six ladies to dry, almost there! :innocent:

4 Likes

That’s great . . . they seem to be very good lights. I was only asking out of curiosity, not to knock your lamp or SF products today, as I had considered them myself just over a year ago. Read that some growers had the issue at that time and most didn’t seem happy with support so I went with another brand.

3 Likes

good luck! :+1:
my girls should be dry and ready to weigh out around Sunday(2 weeks) or so, I’ll post results :stopwatch:

3 Likes

OMG I can’t stand it…I just pulled the trigger on a HLG 650! (And the UV strip)!
Santa is bringing the goods this year! Did so much research my head hurts. 5 year warranty…def out live me. I’ll tell the wife to list it here if anything happens…(I gotta laugh to keep from :droplet:…lol)
Thanks for the info…for real
They are great people there really did right by me :+1:t3:
Greg

2 Likes