Drying your Buds

I spend alot of time & effort on growing the best mariuana that I can provide for my brain…Anyone remember the commercial of the frying pan cooking up eggs THIS IS YOUR BRAIN ON DRUGS…Anyway back to the topic…Spending so much time on growing the ladies, and then just hanging them in a closet to dry…Is there a better way that anyone knows to preserve the flavors of the buds ??

3 Likes

Dark glass jars, airtight, Rh & Temperature controlled (45-60F recommended), dark environment (no fridge or freezer…this induces water crystals). This is effective for a certain period of time. Easily a year or more but during that time the bud continues to CURE. Changes take place…Thc and CBD begin to migrate as do terpinoids. I have jars over 4 years old. Base flavor is there but there are subtle changes and different effects as the plant continues to cure. THC degrades like 5% a month, becomes CBN…an anesthetic. The concentration of CBN in the age of cannabis increases as the concentration of THC decreases. CBN is a cannabinoid that is actually formed from the expiration of THC over time, i.e. the older the cannabis gets, the more CBN it gradually contains.
I use this when I am trying to find PAIN relief and not so much a head / buzz. I am starting to grow HIGH CBD, low THC (less than 1%) for some of the same medicinal effects.
WE should invite @MDBuds for his opinion as I am confident he is extremely knowledgeable in this arena

3 Likes

Good info…I cure in glass jars w/ humidity packs 62%…Burp the jars once a day first week;Then maybe once a week for a month;Then store them in dark place at around 70 degrees…
Do you dry your buds in lets say a closet??

Also have pain problems…Shots to the back help…Dam tired of doctors…I’ve tried hemp-oil,but didn’t work…In a illegal state I reside…So I’m sure the CBD oil I bought at the stores is Snake-oil…I enjoy getting high,just not all the time…Can you tell me how well the CBD grown pot works ??
I refuse to take pain pills because that’s the way I roll

3 Likes

@Wildbill @Mrb53004 the best way to preserve terpenes and flavor is to slow dry and cure. When you slow dry temp should be between 55-65 f and rh between 55-65 as well. I personally shoot for 60/60. 60 f at 60% rh.

After 10 to 14 days of drying I jar in the dark and put a hygrometer in a quart jar with 1 oz of buds to monitor RH. Keep rh in the jars steady between 58%-62% rh using either fruit peels or boveda packs.

Keeping rh in the sweet spot between 58% and 62% rh creates a microfilm of water over the buds that preserves the terpenes and THC/CBD.

Store in a dark cool place and the buds will be good for up to a few years depending on light exposure, temps, and RH variations.

5 Likes

Thankyou for the brain-fill…Humidity I can handle…Mostly always 55 to 60% Humidity around here…Temperature is my problem…70 to 74 degrees…Wife would shoot me if I kept the temps that low

1 Like

If you have stomach issues, you will have trouble with ingesting CBD oil in traditional ways. Just something to consider. :slight_smile:

No more than the usual suspects…I love the hot peppers…Thats a sometimes YA and sometimes NAY…

2 Likes

Seems like sublingual and/or suppositories are your better option for CBD. @Kronic has some great videos on hash making. I think @MDBuds had something on processing for other ways. I may be way off base because I’m test smoking at the moment and my signals may be every which way. I’ll come back and edit accordingly if no one else drops some links.

3 Likes

@kmac03 for stomach issues I either suggest suppositories or smoking it. Oil based tinctures will irritate the bowels. Alcohol based tinctures might be ok though.

If they insist on oil based tinctures though I adamantly behoove them to make sure they use cultivars high in caryophyllene as well as CBD so it helps the inflammation by blocking the prostaglandins that cause the inflammation that causes irritable bowel and other inflammatory bowel issues.

1 Like

@kmac03 of course I always recommend high caryophyllene cultivars to most people seeking high cbd strains since it’s a wonder terp that ehnaces effectiveness of CBD and is the only terp that reacts with the CB1 and cb2 receptors like a cannabinoid and has CBD like effects on its own.

2 Likes

You need a touch and go app based on these scenarios. Feel free to copy this down and delete as necessary.