Dried buds.......are dry!

I’m curious, My plant has been hanging for 11 days, the smaller branches snapped. So I now have the buds in a jar. The buds are incredibly dry! If I were to put any pressure on them they would crumble on the outside. Is this normal? Does the curing process make the difference to transition them into a nicer bud that won’t just crumble away?

4 Likes

@Kris are the buds still moist in the center or does the whole bud crumble?

As long as there is still moisture in the center they will cure properly in the jar as the moisture will get pulled out and moisten the outside again until the rh in the jar levels out.

If the whole bud crumbles it is too dry and needs some moisture added so it can cure properly and preserve the terpenes. I usually use a quarter sized piece of tortilla or orange peel per oz. A piece of banana peel works too. Bring rh in jar back up to around 60% and throw a boveda packet in there if you have them or you can just go old school and just use the tortillas and fruit peels. Just have to monitor rh every day and keep it between 58% and 62%.

9 Likes

I second what @MDBuds says. Citrus peels always work the best for me, but will mold if unmonitored (learned from experience). I’m kind of a partial to the scent left behind.

2 Likes

Really basic question here but how do you know what the RH is inside the jar?

3 Likes

I also use orange peels! Works great!

3 Likes

these, there a few bucks a peice and I don’t even put then in all the jars, sometimes I’ll move them to different jars when I burp them

6 Likes

I think there originally for humidors n stuff for fancy cigars

5 Likes

@Jared I just buy cheap miniature hygrometers like what @Eggs shared.

I got a 12 pack of the small rectangular ones for about $20 after tax and shipping.

5 Likes

Thank you! It is just the outside that is very dry. It’s good to know that it will still properly cure if it’s not totally dry. Whew!! It’s especially good to learn how I could remedy the situation if they were completely dry.

I have noticed that the humidity in my grow room is below what I’ve seen recommended (mine is usually around 30%) I have ordered a humidifier now that I’m learning more. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I love the size of those! I do have something that shows the humidity, but it’s quite a bit larger and hangs in the tent. Thanks for sharing!

1 Like

Nest time you harvest, do not be afraid to do it in stages. Same goes for drying…get the small buds out quicker than the larger ones. If your large buds have some wiggle to them, put them in with the small buds. You will know in 1 day if they lend some moisture to them. Definitely get some Bovida Rh packs…size 8
https://www.amazon.com/Boveda-49-Percent-2-way-Humidity-Control/dp/B00JV27MCM/ref=sr_1_2_sspa?dchild=1&keywords=boveda+62&qid=1612038138&sr=8-2-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUExRUVRTTdOUkpDR01SJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwOTE5NzE2MTlJTU1UUkRHTE81OSZlbmNyeXB0ZWRBZElkPUEwMDQwNjg5Wlk2SVZENFhBRkhDJndpZGdldE5hbWU9c3BfYXRmJmFjdGlvbj1jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==
When they dry out, soak them in distilled water and you easily rejuvenate them. I have had mine for years and years

4 Likes

Thanks again. This is my first crop…white widow auto. I was tempted to cut some buds off sooner then the others, but I just wasn’t sure.

2 Likes

MDBuds, if you got the link, please share. I have never seen a dozen for $20…

2 Likes

Sometimes the whole plant matures at once but mostly, unless you got killa light, it matures in stages / sections. The tops of the buds mature before the inner/lower portion. That is why we always look at the trichomes from INSIDE the plant, not the tips. Most cut the plant and hang it but it is ok to dry on a rack

4 Likes

@Mrb53004 here you go. They went up $1 but still affordable.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B088CZRM6B/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_fabc_6Q6H4C7MM4BY6YBD3CT2?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

5 Likes

Have you ever used an auto dryer? If so, what was the outcome?

1 Like

@MDBuds thank you
@kmac03 no, never did. Always hung, fan, temp and rh control. It is the one thing I am fanatical about…Makes more of a difference than anything else I did to plants (uv, ir, light (always had top line stuff…cali lightworks 880 storms)
AFter dry and then into cure…It makes the bud smoke SMOOTH, taste exceptional…Look great

5 Likes

I have an auto dryer, I guess I will test it on a branch or two. Small ones as a precaution.

1 Like

So is it like a hair dryer? Years ago we used to wrap a branch and use desiccant to draw out the moisture. It was how we would test the bud along the way

3 Likes

Hahahaha! I can just see it now, me holding a branch using a blow dryer with my other hand and wondering why this seems like such a long process… :rofl: :upside_down_face: :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

No. Something like this.

1 Like