Do I still need a humidifier/dehumidifier?

After my new light next on the list was a exhaust fan that can connect to this carbon filter I bought a long time ago. My question is with this humidity controller do I still need to buy a humidifier and dehumidifier

4 Likes

The controller turns fan on/off based on temperature AND/OR humidity. That will help control humidity somewhat but doesn’t necessarily mean you do not need to add on.
So things that will be of concern:
Size of grow area, how many plants, hydro or water/soil, temperature after light is installed, lights on/off schedule.
Opinion - almost everyone needs to ADD humidity to their TENT. Some of us use small cheap reptile devices, some only use water pails / towels, planters with no plants, just wet soil

9 Likes

I don’t know how to answer your question, but I’m enjoying the window shop. :slight_smile: :grin:

1 Like

@IraSpaunsble yes you would still need a humidifier and dehumidifier. The humidity controller just tells the humidifier, dehumidifier, and fans when to turn off and on based on the parameters you set in the program.

4 Likes

I might be a little slow not being the most technologically savy person there is but I got a AC infinity fan (a 10 in wall exaust fan) with what looks to be the same controller yours has. The controller could be set to kick the fan on/offwith temp, humidity and or timer being the controlling factors. It is still nessesary to provide the needed temperature and humidity. In my case I put the humidifier in the room and set the fan for temperature controll. If using a tent in a environment like a spare bedroom it would probably work best to set your humidifier up in the room and let the fan pull good air into your tent. If you set room temps below the temps you want in your tent and vent from the tent to outside this should work good.

2 Likes

on this subject, do different strains, either auto or photo require different rh% & temp? also is it different from veg to flower? if this has been covered in a different post i apologize…

1 Like

Definitely different humidity for different stages of growth. And some strains are more susceptible to mold so you would want to keep the humidity in the low end of the range for those strains.

2 Likes

@mikes short answer is yes. Some like it warm and humid. Some like it cooler and dryer. It’s about the genetics of the strain.

The basics will get you by with most strains if you’re growing more than one at a time. If you’re only growing one though dialing the environment in specifically for that strain will give you much better growth and yields.

2 Likes

If you are buying your seeds at Home Grown they give a very thorough breakdown of all there strains weaknesses. If the strain dose not say for beginners there is a good chance there is little room for error in raising it. Read the descriptions carefully.

2 Likes

@mikes Search on here for Relative humidity chart. It took me a little while to understand it but once you get the basics it really helps. I would copy and paste the link to here for you but my phone skills are weak.

1 Like

Very few sed banks give you detailed information like your seeking. Theres to much genetic and environmental variables to consider. You have to watch your plants in your specific environment. And yes theres is difference in environmental needs from strain to strain.

Humidity is a very important factor that is frequently overlooked, it directly affects your VPD which has a large affect on how well your plant feed. Small changes over the whole grow can have significant impacts when pushing your plants to their maximum potential.

1 Like

Here’s an assist.

@mikes, what @Jared was referring to.

2 Likes

2 Likes

Also note—the temp on the chart is the LEAF temperature not the ROOM temperature. Your leaf temp is typically 5dg cooler than room temp, with variations if course deping on source of light, distance etc. But 5dg is generally a good rule of thumb. For those of us who like gadgets a lazer IR surface read thermometer will read your leaf temps.

1 Like

thank you for this, ill keep it on my phone.