Do I have enough tent?

Hi all. I have 2x Photos currently @ seedling stage. I have a 2x2 tent that is I guess 4.5 tall in your money. Would a tent of this size be sufficient for both to go full term to harvest? be kind its my first grow. Cheers

1 Like

Welcome to the forum @oldsnaps! Simple answer is yes, but you will have to work backwards…

You have 4-1/2 feet of vertical. How high can you hang your light? Let’s just say you can raise it to 6" from the top. You have 4 feet to work with. You don’t want your lights much closer than 12" to 18" from the top colas when finishing, meaning you have 2-1/2’ to 3’ to work with. And your pot, how high is that, usually 8" to 10". So your maximum plant height will be about 2 feet tall at harvest. And a plant will double its size after you flip the light cycle from 18/6 to 12/12. So once it’s 12 to 14 inches tall, flip to flower.

Since you are doing photo plants, you can top or FIM them, and then LST them to keep them short and bushy. Check out Kyle’s videos on the site, very informative. Some things may seem counter-intuitive (like removing bud sites, or chiropractic on the stems) but DO help getting better buds overall.

You will also have to watch your temps, humidity levels, and airflow so things don’t start to mold on you.

Don’t know if you are in a legal state or country, but after a couple of harvests you may just find that you want to grow more and upgrade to a 4x4 tent. The 2x2 would be perfect for seedlings/clones and then early veg, then move them to the bigger tent. Take some cuttings for clones back in the 2x2. You could get your own perpetual harvest going every couple of months!

Hope this helps. Don’t know what type or how big your lights are, type of soil you are using, or any other environmental factors, but there is tons/tonnes of info in the forum for your enjoyment and learning!

2 Likes

Right on mate. Looks like a few more vids for me to watch!

In terms of tent size, assuming decent, though rarely perfect light coverage, the metric I look at is yield per square foot or meter. That’s why seed sellers market plants that way. Using a quick and dirty metric conversion, a 2x2 tent is about 0.4 meters square, and a 27x27 inch tent is just about half a square meter. That’s all the “solar panel” you’ve got. It really isn’t going to make a whole bunch of difference if you grow one big ole gnarly plant that’s been LST’d to maximize its spread, or nine one gallon pots fighting over the same light. You got only so many photons, and you can’t feed and water your way around that limit. In my SF 27 x 27 tent with a SF1000 light, I got almost exactly the same yield from one plant as two, using the same soil, nute, water, and light regimen.

The strain description might say 400g/M2. If you’re growing in a 2x2 tent, they’re saying 160g yield, about five or six Oz. Good luck with all that, but getting even halfway there could be done with two or nine plants. The limit is solar panel, that is, how many photons you can put to work.

2 Likes

Tent size 3x3x6
pots 5 of 7L and 3x 3,5L
Seeds generics of my town
LST and Quiropraxia week yes week no
fifth week of veg
inert ground and Biobizz
I want to move to flowering with photoperiod transition (18/6, 17.5/5.5 ,17/4 , 16.5/3.5,…) reducing the light by half an hour a day, what would it give? 2 weeks of transition. When should I start this transition? besides the light what do you recommend?

@SWS5S4 Why not just flip them? no reason to taper. Welcome to the forums and happy growing!

1 Like

Hello @regnartS! Thank you for the welcome. No specific reason, just the logic of trying to reproduce the natural environment inside the box. I’ve seen a few things talking about this transition along with a nutrient shift. As it is my first time properly equipped, I am studying several techniques in these girls. It would be one more to understand.

1 Like

I wouldn’t mess with the tapering. You could easily confuse the plant between veg and flower.

Nature is not always nice and consistent with its gardens. A lot of things fail in nature.

We try to be nice.

2 Likes

looking at your tent and not knowing the source of those seeds, I’d watch gender like a hawk while you flip. don’t want some guy crashing the party.
That is going to be one crowded tent.

2 Likes

the seeds, it has some colombian gold and some more flowers of dubious origin. but I believe all the herb gods that there won’t be a male under my tent!

@SWS5S4 should be interesting to see how it works out! Are you going to mimick nature with your light intensity aswell? What kind of nutes you using? You’ll definitely want to adjust the feeding along with your light cycle. Usually would switch around week 5 from germ over to flower, but you can go as long as you like… ive seen moms the size of grapefruit trees.

@SWS5S4 if you train and feed right you can fill that tent

2 Likes

Those Herb gods have a pretty strong sense of humor. I’d go on YouTube and study how to spot male plants just as they are flipping.

hy @regnartS!I have a 240W QB 301h. now she is at 80% and increase in flowering. The nuts also intend to boost, some friends use cane molasses, in the second week in addition to biobizz. I don’t really know what to do… @Daddy1971,this is the idea, working to make it happen, but shit Happens, maybe by the naughtiness of the gods.

@SWS5S4 what soil are you using and how close is your lights

@Daddy1971 I’m using 50/50 perlite and peat and biobizz.thinking about adding guano in the pre bloom transplant. the Light is 2 feet from the dorcel at 80%

That’s a hell of a germination period. LOL

1 Like

They looked stretched. I’d get my light down. I’m using LEDs and maintain about 12 to 14 inches above canopy.

It would be a veg period of roughly 5 weeks i was referring too.

2 Likes

I am gonna flip my 4 photo plants in about a week, I just a few days ago went through and trimmed all these girls up, 3 of the autos are in week 2 of flower, I see signs of a few more getting some pistols just starting to develop. The other 4 autos are a few weeks behind the first batch of 6. A few I left natural, some I topped and some were fimmed. It’s crazy how fast the plants grow and bounce back from trimming and being tied down. It’s fascinating to watch.

3 Likes