DIY drying and curing chamber

Well I said I was gonna research it and here is the first attempt. Old dorm fridge, removed everything except the freezer portion tray. Add a small dehumidifier and turned all the way down. Use an inkbird controller for the temp/humidity (plug refrigerator and dehumidifier into it).

The fridge was going out already and wouldnt cool past 50f or get below 65% humidity, so I figured what the hell. I got this idea from curingng chambers for meat/cheese so I knew it could be done. They make various units you can buy (500-1500$) for home use, that are basically modified wine fridges. After looking closely at a few (cannacure, autocure) I decided to try out this route and see if I like it. If I do I will scale this up.

1 Like

Should work. Nice repurposing.

I’m getting ready to build one myself. My local home depot has African mahogany boards. 5 2"x12"x6’ boards for $100. Should be able to make a decent sized box with that and set it up with layers of nets. I’ll share it when I get it done before harvest. Happy growing. :v:

1 Like

That will be nice. Mahogany is beautiful wood.

1 Like

@Rye I chose it because it’s open grain and it’s what the high end professional cannabis humidors and curing boxes are made out of. It is a beautiful wood, but it’s properties make it the cedar cigar box of cannabis. Figure I can make a huge one for less than what they’re charging for those personal stash ones. :joy:

1 Like

Seriously. 499$ for a small one, smaller than a 75$ wine fridge. You can buy the thermoelectric cooling units the good ones use for somewhat cheap compared to their product.

1 Like

I haven’t looked into the thermoelectric. I was going to use the silica and humidity bag method to adjust humidity in the box. I’ll have to check out the electric units.

This is pretty neat man well done!

1 Like

1 Like

2 Likes

Made my own auto burp cure buckets anyone else try this?

3 Likes

I am about to, but smaller. This grow I am trying different cure techniques to see what I like best. This is one of the ideas I plan to try out. That’s the best part of growing your own, all the cool experiments you get to do.

2 Likes

Washed today’s harvest, hung dry for a few hours then into the cure chamber. It’s on the shelves. The jars are the first plant I put in here (14th), unwashed. Now in the jars to finish the dry and start the cure. Already have the very first plant in jars curing and another one about to be bucked down. Am trying 2 methods, cold (below 68dg) and room temp. Each method has 1 plant washed, 1 unwashed. Keeping copious notes so I can see what I like or don’t.

3 Likes

Looks awesome @Rye Very curious to hear about the results… to quote Tom Petty “The waiting is the hardest part”.

My intentions are to dry in my shed. With outside temps still in the 90’s I have the AC running at max to get the temp between 65 and 70ish with RH 50-60%. This is simply not economical. I like your mini fridge idea!

If the mini fridge works I’ll either buy a full size used refrigerator and convert it or build a drying curing cabinet and install a thermoelectric cooler. The research shows that the cooler temps, specifically below 68, help to preserve terpenes and flavors. The big question is do I have the patience for an extra month of cure time if it is worth it.

1 Like

@Rye I always cure mine in the cold. Low temp (between 50 and 60 f) around 50% rh and the dry time is usually about 2 weeks even before you can start the jar cure. Works great for me and it preserves the anthocyanins and other pigments pretty well so you keep your colors. Makes for some great tasting pretty buds. Well worth the extra week or two imo. You can also pick a bud out here and there when you burp to toke on if you don’t want to wait.

4 Likes

@Rye I forgot to mention that there is a quick cure method that gives you buds almost just as tasty as slow curing. Have you heard of dry ice curing? It can fully dry and cure your buds in 24 to 48 hours. Just have to be careful when bringing the buds out and getting back to room temp so you don’t knock the trichs off.

No I have not heard of that one. Now to do some research.

Nice, thanks for the knowledge guys

I would love to follow your results

The procees continues. Moved all the jars to a mini fridge we had in our popup but moved inside, much easier for me to reach them. The top 2 shelves are jars that are at day 10. I keep them sideways so it’s easy to turn them and keep the buds from flattening out. The bottom jars (standing up) are at day 23 and are done drying and ready to come out of the fridge to finish the cure. The difference is amazing already between the cold and RM temp drying. Of course it takes at least twice as long.

2 Likes