Cryo-freezing opinions

True. I just like the fact that it eliminates the possibility of mold forming

Best way is the slow dry & cure., esp. w/ low plant #'sā€¦ Designated C.D.C.R. (Cold Dry & Cure Room) is what I do. :sunglasses:

From what I know about sub-zero sublimation, the technical term for freeze drying, a small batch can be easily tried at home.
Supplies-
ā€¢ Small igloo cooler
ā€¢ Dry ice (amount depends on amount to dry) I think I remember something along the lines of 1lb of dr ice per oz of wet bud, give or take as it dries and you see need.
ā€¢ rack, or some way of suspending the flower right above the dry ice without touching it
ā€¢ parchment paper to lay on the rack under the bud

Basically all you do is lay the dry ice in the bottom of the cooler, place the rack above it with parchment on it, lay out your buds quickly, then leave the cooler cracked. As the dry ice expands from solid to gas (sublimation), it is extremely cold and dry, as in less than 1% humidity type of dry. This process draws the moisture from the bud through osmotic sublimation into the carbon dioxide. As the CO2 expands from ice to gas, it will fill the cooler and overflow. You want it to sit around the bud and draw the moisture, yet also be able to escape as it expands, taking the moisture in the process.
This process is dangerous in that dry ice is extremely cold, instant frostbite kind of cold, so wear very very thick insulated gloves and dont hold the dry ice just handle it long enough to move it. Also, this is expanding CO2, DO NOT do this in an enclosed space. You CAN and WILL suffocate yourself or others. Ensure plentiful ventilation including a liberal source of fresh air, and a cool spot to keep your dry ice from sublimating too quick. Some people ive heard will do small batches in a foam cooler in their fridge. Even in a chest freezer if you want to make best use of your dry ice.

Anyway, yet to do it myself honestly, so this is entirely book learning. But I hope this might help someone. If not then be mean forum people :joy:

3 Likes

Good information, thanks. Ended up just chopping them and hanging them last night.

I know all about dry ice from working for a tv production company who used it for fog machines. If you literally touch it for one second ur skin starts turning brown. Place I would get it the guys used real thick gloves to handle it.

Exactly :sweat_smile: I usually get near harvest and im like ahh f it. So far, weird as it may sound, a paper bag cure is my favorite method. Buddy of mine uses a black/yellow tote (you know the kind) strung with jute lines running the length, and a small computer fan on either end. He hangs the nugs from the lines and runs the fans with the lid on until the stems snap instead of bend. Either way they then they go into jars for a cure. I remember that story about the guy who buried his nugs around his back yard in mason jars for 6 mos- year as a cure.

2 Likes

Paper grocery bags seem a great way, used twice.

1 Like