Cold shock for color

I was wondering has anybody ever cold shocked a plant to get the purple to come out? I’m in the last 3 weeks of a purple Kush grow and I’m trying to cold shock it so I can get a nice Violet Bud out of it !

anybody have any experience with this?

3 Likes

yes, i cold shock all my indoor plants but i only grow Feminized. at the end this plant was at 55 degrees and rushing to produce in time for a ? suspected freeze? and about 1/4 of these plants went purple.

7 Likes

@dmtscravey that’s a nice purp

1 Like

I have seen a episode on Canna Cribs @ 3 Fingers Farm, Farm and they had a strain that they work with and the owner said the cold shock in week 2 they found works best. I have a Dosi Do that just started week 3 of flower that I did that to. The Web says it will turn a Purple My Day temps were 75 degrees and I dropped night temps to 64 degrees. I’ll let ya know in a few week. Good Luck

1 Like

Yup I run my day temps at 75 and I drop it to 60 at night so I’m hoping that will be enough to do it good luck on yours also

2 Likes

Growing in my greenhouse, I’ve had the temps drop down to below 40 degrees, and that definitely helps bring out all those beautiful colors we love to see. The plants don’t seem to stress at all either. In fact I’ve had better success when I dont try to regulate the temp and just let the climate do its thing to the plants. I always try to let nature do as much of the work for me as possible. Growing in tent may be a little different, as you may not be able to drop the temp that much. Or it could cause stress to the plants if you’ve kept the temp within a few degrees for the entire grow and then change it significantly towards the end. Experimentation is always the best way to find out what works best for your situation. Happy growing.

5 Likes

That’s what I figure also. This is the 1st time I have tried anything like cold shocking the coldest I can seem to get my closet is about 60゚ ± . I guess That will work or it won’t lol plus I’m afraid with the white Russian standing next to it I don’t want to shock it to death. But experimentation is all I have and it’s fun to do! If the whole closet was full of the same strain I would probably try to get it colder but I think for now this will have to do, its just to be make the nuggets pretty anyway by the looks of it It’s going to be potent either way

7 Likes

If you want to cold shock a plant without shocking the whole closet a trick that always worked for me was setting the pot in a bucket of ice and getting the root system colder each time during the dark period. For example if my room was at 70 during the dark period (lights off) the first night I would monitor the soil temp near the roots and drop it to 60, then the next dark period 55, then 50, etc all the way down to 40 degrees Fahrenheit. I never went lower than 40 for a few hours because I didn’t want to kill the plant or freeze the roots but it worked and I got some beautiful buds. Hope this is helpful for you. Happy growing. :v::metal::call_me_hand:

4 Likes

I’ve also heard of just changing the water temp with the water you actually feed the plant. I heard from a friend of a friend about a commercial grower who had a crop of Rainbow Cookies and only changed the temp of the water and not the room temp and had great success with color changes. Only on the inside of the buds tho. The outside was mainly green with orange hairs and white trichomes, but when you crushed the buds up it was like looking at a rainbow with everything from purple to blue to red. That would definitely be a good experiment to do on some different stains to see if it actually works. I honestly don’t regulate the temp of my water, but I never let it get above 65 deg or below 40 deg.

5 Likes

I might have to try that I normally just keep my water at Room temperature inside the grow Room

1 Like

I’ve used this method as well as ice water flushing in the last days or week of life. Awesome content everyone :clap: !

3 Likes

Well now I know what I’m trying out this grow.

3 Likes

What’s cold shock :heart:

1 Like

@Meko I’m growing a purple Kush and they said to cold shock it which is make it colder at night to bring out the purple colors in the buds and the leaves I was mostly concerned with the Buds. And I’m not sure if it worked or not because they’re not dry yet !

2 Likes

@Meko cold shock refers to lowering the temperature (usually air temp) at night to simulate cooler temps of fall and bring out the purples and some blues in the plant. It’s on my list of things to try. This grow I’ve been cold shocking the roots, using cold water when I water/feed after reading this post and researching it.

4 Likes

Cold air temps usually below 60 F will do, you can also shock the roots with cold water.

1 Like

@dmtscravey Wow! they need Trophies for all you folks Beautiful Buds

1 Like

Ummmm, rainbow cookies? What rock have I been under? I need to try this IMMEDIATELY!

1 Like

Rainbow Cookies. Smells like fresh ground peppercorn and smokes like cayenne peppers. Spiciest weed I’ve ever smoked. Super large and super dense buds also. They only grew one batch and I haven’t seen it since. Honestly one of my favorite smokes. There is one seed company online that offers it, but honestly haven’t tried to buy it.

2 Likes

@Eggs @dmtscravey @sc13oldie Looks like my soil is mixed perfect :sunglasses:

GG #4 Fem.

6 Likes