Building veganic living soil

One suggestion with the coco coir replacement for sphagnum peat moss… if coco is used it must be baked after each grow cycle. You can do this by leaving it in the hot sun or actually baking it in an oven “literally”… use a sheet pan line it if preferred. Bake at around 140° for 25 min…Also you can use your spent soil/soiless as a compost pile starter…

@CkNugz I do use my spent soil and compost it.

I’m not worried about baking my coco because it exceeds 140f in the compost pile and it kills all anaerobic pathogens and bugs.

I toss it in with my leaf mulch and veggie compost. I have tweaked my recipe and method a bit since this post trying to dial in a recipe that will work seed to harvest with little or no amendment.

2 Likes

@Henry still dialing it in man. So far the leaf mulch and veggie compost created a really nice humus and really helped the coco hold on to everything. Near the end the mix ran out of phosphorus and potassium so not quite seed to harvest yet but close.

Decided to add some soft rock phosphate to the mix and some langbeinite for phosphorus and mixing the kelp meal with some wood ash and banana peels to make a potash compost.

Working on getting the ratios and ph right currently. As soon as I get the new mix where I want it I’ll test it out and update you guys.

2 Likes

@CkNugz yeah those cytokinins and the auxin from liquid kelp and kelp meal are great. Always get huge root balls from using the stuff.

1 Like

@CkNugz I have. I don’t grow purely veganic and still do organic. I just experiment with different methods and soil compositions. Trying to develop my own seed to harvest living soil without having to buy starters and amendments all the time etc…

I know if I get the mix right I’ll be golden and then I can just grow or farm whatever I need and save loads of money.

Currently the best mix I have done yet has been a loam with chicken manure, steer manure, worm castings, bat guano, bone meal, azomite, lime, gypsum, silica, coco coir, mulch compost, biochar, kelp meal, leaf compost, and a 12 blend mychorrizae. It got me seed to harvest but it was a little hot and had too much nitrogen so I didn’t get a fall fade and it slightly stunted the buds. They were still decent buds, just not as big and terpy as they could have been. Lol

2 Likes

Sul-Po-Mag…I meant…

Nestor garrido I meant…

Cheers Doc, trying to make something similar here in the UK. In the mean time I have found what I believe to be a good supplier. Currently in the midst of some autos that are loving it. Have a look and see what you guys think, it’s a spin on the coots mix with local ingredients

2 Likes

@Henry that’s a good mix. Anything with bokashi ferments in it is usually really good. Loaded with microbial life and great for starting and maintaining a living soil.

2 Likes

Let’s hear about it. I’m interested for when I get started again.

I’ve had the same happen to me, multiple times. I’ve asked an attorney before and if you have the funds to take someone to court, it would still have to be absolutely proveable. Sometimes, life presents me with lessons on purpose. If I look behind me, does it feel good to do and is it a moment where correction is absolutely needed? (Involve the greater good) I don’t like bringing the past to my future, you know? As long as intentions on my part are solid and pure of :purple_heart:, then I should have nothing to worry about, you know?

Otherwise, if I just use an NDA to include intellectual rights moving forward, to also include 50% up front and the rest payable upon delivery, blah, blah…

1 Like

Absolutely. As long as you have your dates square, might be worth it. Otherwise, how could you improve upon it and re-launch? What are people saying about it now? You heard it here first by @CkNugz , can I get a witness for a timestamp?