Bad seeds described

Hey @Steve1 , I think this question should be a separate/new topic…has nothing to do with seeds!

If I was searching for specific info on your new topic, I wouldn’t think of looking here. Probably the geek in me showing, but (I feel) topics should be like subroutine calls, specific question, desired response. Lots of topics, browse quickly to find your situation and then solution.

Adding extra non-current-topic questions is like what Microsoft used to do…publish bloatware! I still chuckle when I think that Excel 4 came with an embedded flight simulator in it! Not a great one, but it was back in the early 90’s I think, hit a couple of key sequences and it brought up black screen, green outlined mountains like the first tank games were I think, and you could “fly” around the landscape.

1 Like

@Kronic @spudgunner :v::slightly_smiling_face: Peace! i often wonder… i never hear anyone mention the fact that LED grow lights lessen in strength each year of use. have you ever noticed that? it will sure make people complain about seeds if they don’t realize that fact. about the third year of the light it’s down hill and junk no matter who makes it

1 Like

@spudgunner @Kronic Example,

:laughing:

@DollarBill I’ve read that. Actually, ALL lights gradually lose effectiveness over time. The higher the quality brand, the less (slower rate?) it happens.
I haven’t noticed it yet…only got my indoor setup going end of June 2021 when my early photo plants (which had been growing for 2 months already by then) decided to go into flower when we got about 3 weeks of shit weather up here! They were patio plants I brought from our old place to the house and had them outside for the summer. Yeah, that plan went to hell! Fortunately the tent and light arrived and I finished them in August inside. The HEAT DOME we got hit with in July was unsettling, it got 100 F in my tent, with a negative pressure tent, it went from 4x4 to 3’6"x3’6" until I braced the sides to not suck inwards. Still was my best crop up to that point (1 white widow, 2 bruce banners, and 1 Afghan). Couple days after I got my Death bubba clones, those came down. And my DB was the Xmas Day chop, and the troll weed pics you’ve seen!
So I’m hoping to get 3 more crops before I’m thinking of replacing it. Which is ok. My tent and lights and fans and all that shit cost me under $700, the hydro was another 200. My DB yielded 12 oz of really nice tasty bud, and my new-found dispensary has good quality smoke for $100/oz. So I figure my setup has paid for itself Grow One, and I won’t mind reinvesting when needed.

And a half-assed light (an old one worn out) would allow me to set up a cloning room if I wanted to pop out clones for $10 each.

1 Like

@spudgunner yeah, i know about heat. Arizona gets a little of that. i have to look at stuff like that as :laughing: it’s all fun and part of the battle. Momma Nature has been growling down here ever since covid started. Now on the mountain we’re covered in snow. Odds? seems i’m always the under dog. i just ordered 16 GG4 Auto Flower Seed and never grown autos before. i expect as always, i’ll get exactly what i ordered. Believe me, HGCC wants us all to be happy satified growers. They need us as much as we need them. :v: Peace and Home Fried Chicken Grease LoL

2 Likes

@DollarBill that’s why they give you the usage hours. If you read the fine print most led lights are only effective as designed for 50,000 hours. Some of the higher end brands up to 100,000 hours.

So it really depends on how many seasons and hours you use them.

At 50,000 hours you can run a veg light daily for 18 hours for 7.6 years before it will no longer grow plants if there is no failure. That’s pretty damn good IMO.

I’d still personally replace them every 5 years unless it’s a 100,000 hour light then every 10.

2 Likes

@MDBuds yep, sometimes i forget how old i am. :laughing: 7.6 into 50 years of dirt and nute mixes and eye burn, i even got warts on my fingers once from soil. Doctor said, those warts are common in gardeners and i laughed out loud. i said, give me strong medicine my Corn and Ocra is ready to harvest. @Highigan :point_left: i can’t remember if they’ve ever used the same light twice :wave: LoL

1 Like

@DollarBill Yea I generally only use my flower lights for 2 years max. 12/12 Puts them right about 100k hours at the 2 year mark, which is usually what I buy. I have 2 backup lights that are pretty phenomenal and true COB LED i haven’t used that have 200k light hours but the intensity is so high I haven’t used them yet. Going to test them once my SF7000 needs replaced. Good comment to drop! :smiley:

1 Like

12 hours/day for a year…4380…call it 4400 hours. 2 years, under 10,000 hours.

Lol @Kronic you missed a decimal! Good for 20 years!

I have a 1800w COB light. Works great! Has a veg and bloom switch, but no intensity/strength dial. I run entire grow with both settings on so it draws 360w from wall. So 1/3 kwh per hour at $0.12/KWH, works out to about $0.75/day for veg and $0.50/day for flower.

2 Likes

@Kronic @spudgunner i’m a picky old weed guy. i don’t trust any light peddlers. that’s why i buy cheap lights. LoL i sorta make my own combos. Try my first auto seeds ever as soon as they get here from HGCC under this 675 total watts. Hec, next time i might even use those Blue Walmart Shopping Bags for grow bags. They don’t call me EL Cheapo for nothing. Cheap is a little harsh so just call me One Dollar Bill

@DollarBill Lol! My father-in-law was Scottish. He wasn’t cheap, he said he was FRUGAL!

Even tho I’m English, some of that must have rubbed off on me…I try and get my 5 gallon (6 gal US) buckets from stores for free. 30 years ago I used to hit up the ice cream shops in the malls and get their 11 litre (3 US Gallon) whit buckets for free. Double them up so no light goes thru to the roots, punch lots of holes on the inside one for drainage, a few in the outer one, good to grow!

After our provincial or federal elections, I used to go around and take down some of the signs…or pick up the pieces of ones people had knocked down, and use the wood as rails, shelves supports for any project! As long as it’s functional, frugality works for me!

Also why I like clones!

1 Like

@spudgunner wife, grandson, 45 year old daughter. you know how it goes, that’s why i smoke moon rock. sorta break away and never leave the farm :laughing: LoL EL Cheapo my wife tagged on me so i tattooed her name on my butt. anybody asks me for money i tell them. i got One Dollar Bill hahahahaha it broke my arm buying auto seeds but i did get a Thanks for your order

2 Likes

@Jack homegrown nutrients come in sealed bags. The only bottled nute is the germ genie. Their call center is in Barcelona Spain and it is just a support line for sales and website issues. Not for growing advice. The other zendesk option they have or whatever it is is a paid IT support service that honestly I have to agree with you is lacking. They should definitely hire a better service.

As far as your comparison to homegrown being “ghetto trash doing the street hustle” I honestly haven’t dealt with a seed retailer more willing to work with me. I’ve dealt with many seed banks that pretty much just give you the finger and tell you to fuck off the second you call. Homegrown is the only one that has ever followed through on their seed guarantee for me and went above and beyond correcting orders where they accidentally sent the wrong seeds etc… they even hooked it up with a bunch of free seeds.

As long as you are polite and have documentation you should be golden with homegrown. I haven’t ever had an issue that wasn’t resolved.

4 Likes

@Jack i may have expressed to re-call though i don’t remember saying to tell them i sent you. i’m a free agent and i don’t work for homegrown and i buy seeds from several seed banks when i’m not breeding my own. i also buy the seeds for combined grows between i and 5 grow friends with medical cards. Sorry to hear about your issues but we’ve never had a single problem. Of about 130 seeds, we’ve only lost three out of Homegrowncannabisco.com seed bank …My grow buds and i sorta said; Hec, i’d be embarrassed to demand three seeds after buying 130 …i just bought another 16 seeds here of GG#4 Auto Seeds for my first Auto Grow. i expect everything will go smooth as i’ve never been given a reason to think otherwise. In actuality i may be the lone ranger as i’ve never been burned by any seed banks in my whole life and i’ve used many many more than the 130 seeds i got from HGCC. …business is business, and it don’t hurt to have a little luck when rolling dice :laughing: LoL no one’s gunna bummer me out. at my brothers grow we have 20 Homegrown’s about to be harvested monsters

3 Likes

I grew out 2 Goldleaf, buds are stacking but they definitely are staying very short and stocky.

2 Likes

We have become in this country a people who are too quick to feel robbed or disrespected or whatever.

5 Likes

I hate all the numbers they put on the seed bags instead of the names of the supposed type of strain.

1 Like