Autos Initial Seed Planting Cups or These?

Is there a reason I can’t use these small seed/seedling containers rather than cups to start my seedlings? Too small? They’re standard gardener seedling starters - 3in tall, 2.25in square. Once rooted in, they’ll go into 3 gallon containers.

How are you going to sprout paper towel or put them in seed starter soil @GrnyGrows

1 Like

I start in 36mm pods and these are not much bigger. The issue is transplanting without causing too much transplant shock. My pods (peat / coco) go directly into another larger container so there is no disturbing the roots / root ball environment

3 Likes

That’s what I use is pods but @GrnyGrows might not be able get his hands on them

1 Like

I germinate. Put sprouts in solo cups. After 1 to 1 1/2 weeks transplant to pots with my autos. The root structure seems much stronger doing it this way. I take ffof soil already used in cups and transplant soil and all into fresh ffof soil. So far this gives me the best results.

3 Likes

paper towel then into these cups with FFHF as my starter soil

This (pods) is another choice I’m considering. Anything specific I should look for in pods? When you transplant into large container do you make a well with starter soil around the pod?

I can find them, I just have tons of these containers. But I’m worried about transplanting. So, you (all) are making me think pods are best.

Are you saying I’d be better off with a bigger cup to get a larger root ball?

Not necessarily. I am saying the solo cups allow quick root development. When you transplant to say a 3 gal pot the roots are already spreading and allows for a larger healthier root ball i the larger pot

Got it. My seedling cups are pretty small, so I was wondering if using a solo cup which is about three times bigger is a better choice and would help keep transplant shock to a minimum.

One more question – I’m finding just peat or just coco pods. What brand do you use and where do you buy them?

Peat pods are the name of them and you can get jeffey cups also @GrnyGrows

1 Like

Got it – I’m not all here today :crazy_face:

1 Like

You can sprout in paper towel and when they get good tap root put the pods in water they expand make you small hole in pod drop your tap root in put pinch soul over put them under lights @GrnyGrows that’s the way I do it

2 Likes

here is a link - amazon
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B081BBRL6X/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
there are 42m pods offered also
these small greenhouses work great to get the germination going. Keeps the proper Rh while domed then uncover for a few more days
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0834XQW5B/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

3 Likes

Thanks. I do have seedling boxes and I ordered the 42mm pods. I appreciate you.

2 Likes

glad to be of service. I use the 36m and the greenhouse. They fit perfectly in the spaces. 12-24hr soak (30% h202) I sprout in coffee filters (taps do not get stuck) that are inside paper towel (perfect moisture). From tap to dome removal average 7 to 11 days

2 Likes

Wow ive never seen those b4. Talk about less mess in my bedroom.

2 Likes

@GrnyGrows when you use them pods put them in a saucer or something you can pour water from the bottom

1 Like