Autoflower timing

What should the timing of the lights be throughout an autoflower grow.

3 Likes

18/6 to 20/4 for the whole cycle for best growth and yields.

6 Likes

20hours light 4hrs darkness. Nothing more nothing less, auto should flower just fine under this schedule, it’s a good way to test the stability in the autoflower genes…

5 Likes

20/4 is correct :ok_hand: provides ample growth time while giving small amount of rest. Welcome to HCC as well! Look forward to seeing your questions and feedback!

3 Likes

Got some auto flower in my grow room along with some photo that is in the flower stage at 12/12 so we’ll see how the auto’s fare under that light setting. What should I expect?

3 Likes

Ideally a 20 on 4 off light schedule is most beneficial to an autos growth. 12/12 will work but you’re sadly losing out on growth opportunity some would argue. - Organi

4 Likes

I am doing the same and had light flip to 12/12 Aug 1. The auto’s are doing just fine on that light and started a SD auto the same time as the flip. She is now the tallest plant in the tent and doing great flowering all on a 12/12 light schedule.

4 Likes

What about pot size for Auto’s? I’m using a 2’x2.5’x5’ 7" GG tent and I have four seeds. I’ve never grown Auto’s before and I’m trying to figure out how many plants and what size pots would be best for this space. I’m thinking either 2-10 gal. or 4-5 gal. I’m kinda leaning towards doing all the seeds and using the 5 gal. pots and if the plants get too big, then I can take 1 or 2 of them and put them outside to finish. Anyway, I’d appreciate any feedback on the matter and thank you in advance. :sunglasses::+1::point_up:

3 Likes

What do you prefer @MDBuds?

2 Likes

@Philly111 for indoor plants I use 1 gallon for every foot of plant if under 65 dli or 1000 ppfd. So I choose my pots based on the average maximum size of the cultivar. So if an auto only gets 3 feet I use a 3 gallon pot. If 5 feet I use 5 gallons. For outdoor or indoor if receiving over 65 dli or 1000 ppfd I use 2 gallons per foot because I usually get them bigger than the average size. This is based off of my knowledge of photos though. I have yet to see if the same method works for optimal growth with autos but all of mine are currently in 5 gallon pots and appear to be growing healthy. We’ll see at harvest if 5 gallons was the right choice for 3 to 5 foot autos.

1 Like

I have a question for you and definitely not stepping on anyone’s toes. Im new to growing and to the forum here and definitely appreciate all of everyone’s tips and guidance to growing. Ive been listening to the potcast from kronic and in his cast he says that autos need no rest period and you should run a 24 hrs light schedule period. After reading everyone’s comments here, you should run a 20-4 schedule and even homegrown web site strongly suggest that you run a 18-6. So guess my question is what is truly the best light schedule to use? My girls are just entering the flower stage and I dont want to jeopardize any yield that I may get from my auto’s. Thank you for your time

5 Likes

During flower a 20/4 will be fine. Some go full 24 but I don’t want starches to build up in my buds (glucose is essential for bud growth and development but the excess that isn’t used is stored as starches). 18/6 and 20/4 are recommended for veg for cost/benefit reasons. I personally use a 20/4 for veg. It let’s them use their starch stores during the dark period so they wake up hungry and I’ve found personally that they take up nutrients better after some dark time. Another benefit of them using their starch stores is when you go to cure your bud you won’t have to wait as long for the sugars to break down for a smoother smoke. If you have too much starch in your plant before harvest the smoke can be harsh. It’s why some growers recommend a dark period before you harvest.

5 Likes

5 gallon is plenty for you setup. I used 5 gallon in my last grow of 6 lemon haze auto in a 3×4 tent. It definitely filled the tent but it was a good thing.

5 gallon containers are a great to use for autos, you can easily convert most figures for it and you can get them in various shapes to accommodate your need. Yes they can be and usually are a touch big for most strains of autos, but that excess can be good. More water retention, means less watering for soil and more from for roots, while their footprint is typically small.

Currently I’m using grow 7 gallon bags made from recycled plastics, because I got them for free. But when i need to buy more I’ll go woven fabric most likely. Or maybe just the gazillion 5 gallon buckets I have around.

Now having said all that, seeds in dirt in a decent size container grows, they don’t care. And of course it’s your grow.

3 Likes

Thank you I definitely appreciate any and all advice

2 Likes

Whatever works right…

2 Likes

Welcome to the forum @twentyafter4 glad to have you. We’re basically two peas in a pod​:joy:. I’ve never grown Auto’s either and I’ve read and watched many articles and videos also. I’m getting ready to start my first Auto grow and after what I’ve researched and the knowledge I have of photos I’m going with 18/6 because I believe the plants do need a resting period. All we’re trying to do as growers is recreate nature indoors. You tell me where Auto’s or any plant on this earth gets 24 hours of sunlight a day??? This is why I’m going 18/6. Hope to see some photos of your grow soon :v::sunglasses:

4 Likes

Thank you Phillip @Philly111 im super excited as well. I also have been doing my research and watching tons of videos and endless hours of reading and i am sucking it all up its been tough there are so many awesome growers out there that offer some good advice… Im definitely going with the 20/4 schedule this run thx to some good advice from @MDBuds and Mr Canucksgrow I can say the girls are coming out beautiful,

13 Likes

@twentyafter4 you almost there. Keep us posted.

I’m growing WW-Auto & GDP -Photo.

8 Likes

Thx just a few more weeks to go getting excited.

3 Likes

Twentyafter4. Thanks for this post. I was wondering the same. And thank you to all that has given advice. Since I’ve been on the forum. I’ve been doing nothing but reading. Keep up the good work guys.

3 Likes