Autoflower stretching, is this normal?

Hey everyone,

This is my first grow and I’m in week 3 of flower, day 62 overall in this NYC diesel auto. I have been raising my Mars hydro ts 1000 a couple inches everyday to keep her at around 12 inches from the canopy and this girl just keeps on chasing it.

I can’t tell if this is normal Sativa stretching because we’re in the beginning of flower? Or is this a light issue and I just need to stop raising my light? Any suggestions? Thanks in advance!

2 Likes

Cannabis plants have been known to almost double in size during the first couple weeks of flowering. Mine grew 10” in 2-3 days at pre-flower/flower. Hope this helps a bit. Happy growing!

1 Like

I don’t have enough practice with autos, but I do have experience with Diesels. They are always large and in charge. :v::herb:

1 Like

this is where LST would have come in handy…We cannot control the height the plants will grow without drastic measures (cutting, clipping, HST). It is very hard to train branches when a plant has grown this large. I usually let the plant dry out to the point it will WILT…We watch and nurture our plants daily so not like you will not catch it in time. When she droops, the apical bud / branch will have leaned over. That is the time to just ties her down, then resume water / feeding as normal. She will perk up in less than 1 day. Start gentle bending of the taller branches to even out the canopy. Do not try to accomplish this in 1 day…a little at a time. Right after dark when they are a little bit more tender. Pipe cleaners and ground staples work wonders. I use them on all my SATIVA’s

7 Likes

Sorry for the late reply everyone. For whatever reason this forum is only letting me sign in if I visit the site via a link from google and on a very specific device. Super annoying that they IP lock login credentials like that…

Anyways…

Mike, LST is what got me in this problem in the first place! :joy::joy: Just kidding, I actually have been practicing LST the whole grow with her. The issue I’ve run into is she has filled the entire 2.3 x 2.3 tent by herself and I have no room to pull her down again. I’m definitely upgrading my tent size after this grow. This is my first grow ever and I wanted to get a “first pancake” in to make sure this would be worth further investing. My original goal was just one ounce from this first grow so fingers crossed. Here she is today:

I think I’m going to upgrade to a 4x2 (I have very limited grow space.) my eventual goal is to plant a new auto every month to create a perpetual monthly harvest so I am hoping to get probably a max of four in my space. Glad I didn’t try and do that this run :joy::joy:

3 Likes

it looks great…Looks like only the one stem is over reaching…that would be the one you BEND OVER. If you let the soil go dry, the plant should droop a little, that is when you would just hook the one stem, up near the top, feed / water her and that one branch will math the canopy

1 Like

hi tim, im just curious what setting did you have you dimmer? i have the same light & planning on autos for my next grow… thanks

1 Like

Hi Mike :wave:

In these photos she’s at 100% I started the seedling at 25% and then went to 50% during early veg. I cranked her up to 100% right when she really started to take off during veg. Probably around week 3. I pay pennies per watt where I live so I gave her all I could as soon as possible. I just keep an eye on her leaf tips and raise the light once I start seeing yellow tips. This is my first grow so there was definitely a bit of a learning curve there, but nothing that caused any sort of real or lasting damage to the plant. She’s taken all my first time mistakes to the chin like a champ. I’m very impressed with this strain so far.

I also just noticed this afternoon she’s started producing resin. It’s so cool to see all of this happening in real time and in person for the first time. It’s such a fascinating plant.

4 Likes

thanks tim, your plant looks great, congrats…

2 Likes

I have 2 ww photo’s & 1 unknown in a 2x2 under a ts1000, getting sparkly & smelling great

7 Likes

Very nice! :seedling::seedling::green_heart: she looks amazing

Getting some purple showing up on the unknown strain, not sure if its a good or bad thing? hoping these girls put on more weight before they are ready. in the cold weather i was struggling keeping rh up, now its the opposite, i have ac but may need a dehumidifier.

7 Likes

The girls look good. I’m a newbie, but all 4 of my girls with purple were amazing. The graphics taste, scent is yummy

1 Like

the purple can be one of 2 things…normal for the strain you are growing or sunburn. If the leaves are too close to the light, it creates a copper deficiency. Make sure the Ph is in a good range, check underside of leaves to see if they are changing color. I do not see tips turning white or yellow so I do not think it is a copper issue.

looks like they may be getting close?

, im not looking for couch lock

5 Likes

the 2 on the right with dying /yellowing leaves are white widow, the purpling plant to the left is unknown strain…

1 Like

I do not see any white pistils, no new growth. The pistils are a beautiful orange/brown. Trikes are MILKY so drop her into 2/3 days of darkness and chop chop. Do not forget that the trikes will continue to mature even after she is cut so, if I were you and did not want couch lock, I’d clip her

3 Likes

Nice trichomes! :upside_down_face::v:Insert more words.

I love the wilt bend idea. Brilliant

1 Like

Mike Mrb53004, I like being gentle, but I do tend to agree with motherofdragons about diesels. They are large strong vigorous plants. And that one looks like it’s dieseling along great.

I would have no problem kinking it’s stems like a garden hose on the 3-4 tallest tops. Bend it over its knees until it kinks. I would rotate the pot till that main top aligned with the back corner. Then Bam Bend baby! Till it lays lower then half the plant height. Since it’s a diesel….

3 Likes