Anyone ever use chicken sh!t as fertilizer?

We live in the middle of in no where, here in Michigan. We have 14 chickens and have an abundance of sh!t. Last year, we mixed in some with our regular soil in our raised garden beds. Not joking - our Roma Tomatoes were the size of large avocados (softball size)!

I know it’s bat guano is recommended. However, I wonder if its ever been tried by anyone on here? I think i am going to experiment with the soil mixture for at least 1 or 2 plants, by incorporating the chicken scat in and see what happens.

What do you have to lose, right?

4 Likes

I would use it. I’ve seen bags of it sold before. Just an idea.

1 Like

Per Wikipedia - Of all animal manures, it has the highest amount of nitrogen, phosphorus, and potassium.

Might as well give it a try.

1 Like

chicken dung is one of the better fertilizers / manures there is. You NEED TO COMPOST IT. When you compost it, make sure it does so for at least 1 year…Chickens have dangerous bacteria in their feces, as do all animals and that is why we compost for a year

3 Likes

Mike, when it comes you weed knowledge - you are a God among men.

Thanks again!

2 Likes

@rodenya01 chicken manure works great. To add to what @Mrb53004 said if you have a compost tumbler you can get it composted properly in 3 to 4 months. Those tumblers are amazing. Best hot composting method there is imo.

Only thing better than chicken manure though is vermicast/Worm castings. They retain the most nutrients out of all the available composting manure and they don’t need to be composted because the worms do it for us. Also don’t have to worry about nasty anaerobic microbes or parasites because there’s so much beneficial microbial life in it it kills virtually every thing else.

3 Likes

We have some chicken poo that’s been composting for over a year, so we’re fine there.

I think I am going to double down and mix in some worm casting and bat guano. Triple down on all the poo - bat; chicken and worm. LOL.

I do not have a compost tumbler, so I will get on Amazon took look into that (thank you!).

2 Likes

just be careful to not make it too hot…too much nitrogen will make the P&K lock…If you compost, make sure you get your P&K in the compost too…Fruit (you can add citrus but be careful there…), especially Bananas, other fruit
I have 6 bins of worms and by far, they are the best compost there is (per @MDBuds too)
I feed them only fruit & veg…no meat, dairy…Red Wigglers and Night Crawlers
I make a foliar from
worm casting tea, steamed milk, boiled egg shells, epson salts
I make a tea using castings, molasses, kelp, some fish fertilizer, leaves from my trees and bananas…this is for my OUTDOOR crops…Once in a while I will feed the tent crops with this (my auto’s)
EVERYTHING GETS AERATED!!!

3 Likes

Hell yeah use it. After composting it. Build a soil sells theres for 5$ a 2lb bag I think. When composting mix in shredded leaves to speed up the process.

2 Likes

That’s pretty cool that you grow and use your own worms for creating fertilizer. I bet your plants look gorgeous and are huge!

here is an auto…in a small 2gal bag…

for reference I used a soda can and a 2 litre… That is one hella bud

I do not grow large plants anymore, they are a hassle. I have shifted to auto’s so I can get more of a variety and better develop the terpenes… I can handle 20 to 25 in my tent…I do scrog in 1 gal, 2 gal for select and 3 gal for my primo’s

3 Likes

Oh man best outdoors fertilizer. We brought back to life our Hong Kong orchid with it!

2 Likes

Canada Dry and Squirt?!..Do you live in Michigan? Lol

1 Like

hi mike, im currently growing some photo’s & everything seems to be going well, but im very busy waiting! im considering autos for my next grow, Could you recommend a strain that may be more forgiving for someone that never grew an auto?

I have had much luck with EVERY AUTO I GREW…EXCEPT GG4…and only from HGC seeds…Here and there I get a hermie, when I stress the sh$t out of one, or do not watch my lights, but better than 90% of the time they grow very well. I believe the flavor, potency and visual are better with auto’s but be prepared to get nowhere near the harvest as you do from a photo…there really is no veg period…just a couple / few weeks and they go right into flower so you lose a lot of vegetation growth…
For an 8-12 week endeavor, start to finish, I can grow 5/6/7 different strains, a couple of each, rather than just the 4 photo period plants I would normally grow.

Best and easiest - GirlScoutCookie, White Widow, almost any Gelato
best choices for me - GrandDaddyPurp, Alaskan Purp, G13, Lemon Haze, Pineapple, Tangerine, Bruce, AK47…Even some of the CBD (not from HGC yet but they will get there). grew seedsman 30:1 and it was mind boggling. Tasted like old pipe smoke (cavendiish—didn’t even smell like MJ when you burned it)…no high but chilled my body out like nothing else, pain, anxiety…I also grew some Rde CBD 20:1…these all have less than 1% THC…

1 Like

thanks for the info, exactly what i was looking for, & that cbd flower sounds great, i think ill try some.

HGC now carries Cbd Kush CBD Kush (yes, twice…as there is a 6%thc and a 1%thc)…I think it is the year of the CBD’s to come out of the closet…

2 Likes

Just bought a couple of compost tumblers. What do I got to lose? Give a try​:metal:t2::metal:t2::metal:t2:

1 Like

Yes! It’s amazing.

I ran an experiment to see if I could grow in straight chicken compost and soil dug from several feet down the ground so I wouldn’t pick up any critters. I just watered it and let it do it’s thing and aside from a little bit of nutrient burn on the leaves at one point in flower, it grew some beautiful bud.

I had chickens at the time and just wanted to see how primitive I could go if I had nothing else.

1 Like

@Captspalding Fried chicken N Gasoline!..

1 Like