3 Days of Darkness

I read somewhere in the forum, after the last watering , you leave the plants the last few days to harvest in darkness . So the last 3 days of the plants life will be total darkness. Can someone tell me if this is correct?

2 Likes

Lots of people do this. Some say it doesn’t do anything, others swear by it. Personally I cant see how it could hurt anything. I plan my waterings and harvest carefully, so I dont water for 7-10 days before I cut them down, 2-3 of those days are in the dark. I start my dry cure before I ever cut them down. After I cut them I hang the whole plant in the dark for a few more days before bucking them down and laying the buds on the screens.

4 Likes

It makes for a smoother smoke…and terps can explode CAN…not will

3 Likes

Thank You so much for the information Rye.

2 Likes

Here’s another one Mike. Why does preharvest darkness make smoother smoke? Does it help dump chlorophyll?

4 Likes

Exactly. Anything you do to speed up the break down of chlorophyll will make for a smoother smoke.

5 Likes

@sweetnsassy the 3 days of darkness is to let the plant respire and break down and exude the stored starches to help speed up the curing process. If done at the proper time it also has the potential to increase potency and trichomes as well as terpenes.

Another thing that helps similar to what @Rye mentioned is hanging the plants upside down in the dark. I do this as well but I pull them out by the roots before I hang them so they can continue to respire and exude until they finally die.

3 Likes

@MDBuds have you ever scalded the roots with Hot Water then hang?

1 Like

@DollarBill no I never have. I don’t want to hurt or kill the roots so they can do their job and keep exudating as the plant breaks down all the stored starches and nutrients.

2 Likes

To preserve the inside by creating a mucus barrier?

2 Likes

@DollarBill so I just read an article written in high times about boiling cannabis roots before harvest and it was pretty interesting. I did some research because I have never heard of that method before.

Growers used to think it would increase resin in the plant and shock the plant into releasing the resin into the flowers. This has been proven false.

What it does do though is it shocks the plant into wanting to survive and retain moisture. It closes its stomata to keep moisture in because of the root damage to try to keep itself hydrated and alive until it can breed. This forces the plant to only release water vapor through the flowers. So if you hang dry after with leaves still intact it allows for a slower drying and curing process which is useful in low humidity environments.

Doesn’t increase potency or resin but it is still useful none the less for growers in low humidity zones trying to slow dry and cure.

4 Likes