Yellow and brown leaf diagnosis

First time grower here and I’m having some leaf issues that I would really appreciate some help diagnosing. See attached picture. This yellow and brown is happening in several areas all over the plant (high, low, middle) and usually accompanied with a purple stem. It’s AK and a week into flowering. Any insight/ recommendations would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance.

Possible calcium deficiency.
Pick up a bottle of calmag.

Thanks for the insight! I do have Calmag on hand because we have RO water.

Yellow and brown leaf possible issues?

Root bound or root rot. What size container? Plant should not be that deficient one week into flower. So my guess is small pot/ root bound… plant is in starting pot and was not transplanter to bigger pot before flipping. Of course, just guessing based on one leaf and limited info.

If this is your problem, the situation is more delicate. If it’s rot or nutes you should be able to rebound her before all the fans are gone.

That’s why you should leave as many fans as possible on the tree as it’s your first sign of trouble. I have one auto that started tip deficiency (barely). But I knew that pot was getting depleted and I was a week late on the top dress. I microdosed 2-10-5 and some micro big 6 to carry her till she gets into the top dress and keep her from consuming herself too early.

Only cut the worst ones off and leave the rest so you can track the progression. In a nutrient situation, I wouldn’t guess. Just give her the full gamut including a full range of micros but especially make sure she has calcium. Assuming you’re growing in soil.

In a root bound or rot situation a week into flower I would transplant and treat the roots as you have nothing to lose.

Robert, thank you for the well thought out response. They are in 5 gallon buckets in soil so I hope it’s not root bound. We did recently end up getting RO water and went about 3-4 weeks watering without the natural magnesium and calcium that is found in typical tap water before I realized this and started adding calmag to the water every time I water. I’m hoping I can turn this around.

2 Likes

No problem… It really can be strain dependent on pot size. As you grow more strains, you’ll know which ones you want to transplant to a 7 or 10 before flipping. For photos, I generally make them veg in a 1.5 gal till they’re ready for flower if im going 45 day flip. Obviously bigger stretching sativas deserve a bigger pot so they can realize their potential. A lot of indicas are fine in 5 gallon pots.

If you used a pre amended soil to veg, I would be surprised to see that bad of deficiency on the leaves unless it raged all the way through veg… Then it could be nutrient deficiency or she’s already bound. You know how she vegged so you should have a pretty good leaning. I generally just don’t see them turning dead like that so early on unless they are root bound or rotted.

What is your soil ph?

Hello my ph meter is indicating 7.0.

Perfect if your in a living soil

Any details on your soils composition would be helpful

It is just a bagged soil “Ocean Forest” from FoxFarm. Hope that gives you what you’re looking for.

Ocean forest is their “ hottest “
offering in respect to their nutrient and mineral composition.
In my limited experience with that product it ok for the first 3 weeks but after that point it’s all on you
In the absence of meaningful amounts of microbial biology you are the responsible for every little nuance of mineral/ nutrient and hydration.
You must:
Monitor the ph/ec of the soil and correct it by flushing salts and other unwanted compounds/ components to where your run off is within range of what is considered sufficient for the growth/ phase/cycle your lady is currently in.
Ph/EC your water and chosen nutrient.

Feed just the right amount of synthetic or organic fertilizer to restore the balance most appropriate

Ph and EC every little bit of H20 to a very specific range.

Keep buying product , often very expensive product to get our ladies through the lifecycle.

I grow in living soil
I use compost teas
Top dressings
KNF L.A.B. and IMO.
Mycorrhizae fungi
Worm castings
Humid acid
Biochar
Potassium Sulfate
Clover cover crop
Live earthworms.

With the exception of Potassium Sulfate and brown sugar I harvest everything else from my environment .

Most of what is needed you literally touch/encounter once a week at minimum and on top of that you likely throw it away.

KNF is a way to develop your own nutrients, anti fungals, soil amendments.
In the words of the man responsible for this method
“Our goal is to give the soil everything it needs as provided by natural processes that took millions of years to evolve and merely
Get out of the way.
Let it happen

Yes you have to maintain the health of the microbes so they can process nutrients effectively into a plant available form.
Yes you have to build that soil.
No you don’t have to ph your h20 or monitor your soils ph
Or flush weekly and check runoff ph and EC.

There is microbial biology that takes care of all that and more.
All you have to do is establish it and very occasionally feed it.
They do all the heavy lifting.
You don’t pitch out your soil at the end of the grow.
If you treat it right your soil will continue to improve as long as you have some form of plant life to sustain the microbial population.
You do have to put another bean/s in it to keep the biology going.
Big woop!
The most laborious facet is the education of the method and different fermentations.
Most everything
And I cant stress this enough
Is within eyesight if you walk your mug over to a window and look around.
Many people find local businesses with their byproduct of which they usually have to pay someone to dispose of.

I make LAB
One gallon of milk( I use raw unpasteurized right out of the cow )
And rice wash
Milk 6$
Rice wash free ( assuming your eating the rice used to produce it)
It yields around 48 -64 oz of LAB.
That’s 1440-1920 ml
You would add this once weekly to your water @ 4ml/ gallon of H20.
So from that 6$ worth of milk and some effort that’s enough for 480-640 gallons of h20.
$6.00
Then there’s fermented plant juice or FPJ
and you use that during veg/early flower.
Fermented fruit juice Or FFJ is used during flower.
Oh boy fruit costs money
Sure it does
What doesn’t?
I’ll tell you
The stuff that you don’t eat
Peels
Skins
Stuff that was hiding in the fridge and was only found too late to consume
Same with other vegetables
If you don’t eat it
Ferment it
Or compost it .

The learning curve is the toughest thing about this method

And since my soils matured and I learned more and expanded my knowledge base….
Not a single discolored leaf
Nothing but good
Sure you can f this up
But unless you do something unthinkable , it is very unlikely.
No un necessary stress for the plants( or me)
Day # 38 above ground
Two days to break the surface.

Thank you for the in-depth very intentional response Joseph. I will use this information and get to work studying so I can use this on my next grow. Your ladies look great by the way.

Ty and I just hit er’ real fine like
So I’ll make this quick
I’m hesitant to post links to videos and tutorials I found useful as I’m not sure how that would fly around here and value my ability to post to much to risk any unforeseen consequences.
I will look more into it for my own purposes later
So as not to upset any apple carts
None the less
From your browser
KNF
The gentlemen’s name is Chris Trump
He was mentored by the originator of the process as we know it today, however
It’s been 1000 yrs + in the making really .
His videos are quite basic but functional.
You can see , though he is currently state side
His methods and technique are very basic and it’s easy to see he was tutored in less than ideal conditions.

“Weedy garden “ is an entertaining and informative gentlemen off the grid so to speak but he’s definitely got it hooked up as far as reaching out with very useful material.
And he’s a hoot

I did neglect to mention you need a few items ,
None of which are expensive

Mason jars
Cheese cloth or paint strainers
Funnel with screen( car quest has that exact funnel)lol

You’ll see as you look around should you choose to pursue this very worthy endeavor

“Rogue garden” is also factual
There are others that go a bit more into what they’re fermenting with and add additional nutrients

Than harvesting IMO
Indigenous Micro Organisms

If you do anything
I’m recommend anyone start with LAB
Than IMO

Cheers