Winter Growing in Mediterranean Climate

West coast winter grow is underway and I’m curious to see if I can get it to the finish line. Any advice in advance? I anticipate battling excessive moisture as the main culprit being temperature limited from the lovely ocean.

1 Like

You growing in California im in ky and i love growing this time of the year with the big lights and the cool air i pull from outside its 25 degree this morning when they mix together the plants love it plus it makes them bud like rocks the air seems more pure if that makes sense

5 Likes

Take a look at how many hours of daylight you can expect where you live, and remember the days are getting shorter. We’re only getting 10 here today. If you want the plant to veg for any length you might need to supplement some light.

If you have an indoor setup and nice enough temperatures over the winter I might want to veg in there and then put them outside to flower. Like a feeder greenhouse for your outdoor garden.

2 Likes

@Daddy1971 Reed,

I’ve been testing out my basement garden, since in 40 days I’ll have a license in my state to grow as my mom’s caregiver. :green_heart: It’s definitely going to be a good time of the year for me too.

I’ve got an AC Infinity for my air intake but it pulls from the cool side of my basement. I’ve thought about pulling in fresh air. It easily regulates the temperature right now and my dehumidifier barely ever kicks in either.

4 Likes

That’s good news.my grow room is also in basement i pull all my air from outside its alot easyer manage

2 Likes

I would love if they made it legalize in ky and i don’t ever see it happening because I live on the bourbon trail and in ky everyone loves there bourbon

1 Like

@CurrDogg420 i meant to tell you my intake line has a trap in it when fan is off it closes to keep air flow out when fan is off

2 Likes

Yeah I think once I’ve got some full tents I’ll have more moisture to deal with, and a cheaper way to dry out the air is by pulling cool air from outside.

I also wanted to ask you @Daddy1971 Reed, what was it like growing in the winter in your basement? Did you have to run a heater?

1 Like

West coast zone 9b, 10a/10b, and 11a are suitable for winter grows because the cold snaps usually don’t drop under 25f more than a few hours and the plants are less likely to frost.

9a is doable but might need to take measures against the frost.

8 and 7 no bueno.

2 Likes

@BlackSheep as far as a few tips I suggest insulating the ground under the pots. Either some reflective insulation or even just a blankets to help keep more heat in the roots.

My winter grow in zone 9a on the west coast did fine last year except for the cold snap I had after I took my heater out and forgot to put it back. Killed a few seedlings but everything else did fine.

All I needed to run extra was an IR heater and a dehumidifier on rainy days.

2 Likes

Oh yeah very different climates. I anticipate having to watch them closely when they bud in December/Jan. The temperature drops should be tolerable given great genetics but likely still slower metabolism for growth. Your growing based on lights that produce heat to counterbalance your cold air intake. My weather on days could be cloudy, 88% humidity and cold with no source of external heat. You’ll benefit from that dehumidifier and humidifier once you start mixing all those different temps. And watch out for that cold air intake when your lights are off.

1 Like

I’ve added a good layer of straw as cover to provide greater microbial habitat and create an “air” layer above my soil. I’ll look for something to put under. Currently they sit on a skateboard slide rail that is quite frankly perfect.

2 Likes

@BlackSheep Straw works great. Another thing that helps is wrapping your pots in burlap. They can still breathe but it helps keep more heat in too.

2 Likes

@CurrDogg420 I run heater when I go into flower the 12 hour’s is why long dark time i run lights during the night and my grow room is underground though

3 Likes

Chronic Widow. Fed with a mixture of synthetic/organic nutrients on a heavily amended supersoil and some secret sauce. On my next grow I’m only going to use the organic soil amendments and my secret sauce on one plant. And continue with “normal” nutrients on the other. Not a real test of science but simple will it grow dank. Like I said I’m new. Gonna figure this dirty talk out. Or try.

2 Likes

@Daddy1971

Bourbon is great with a cc of alcohol tincture. Best of two worlds…

2 Likes

Oh yeah KY loves that bourbon. So do I🥃

2 Likes

Yes they do and they don’t want to give cannibas a chance. i know they made 8 billion dollars just this year over pandemic

1 Like

The door has been opened. No one will be able to deny access to the green fields once the lights go on. People just need to hear it from a trusted friend and not the “man”. Vice versa we’ve been conditioned to only except words from the “man”. It boils down to one word. Control.

3 Likes

It’s the prohibition mindset as well. I was helping my dad out roughing in some electrical boxes the other day. At the end of the day we we’re having a couple of beers and I sparked up a joint. His immediate reaction was that the neighbors could see me. It’s totally legal to possess and consume now in my state (if you buy it on the black market anyway, since it’s still not legal to grow even if you have a prescription)

2 Likes