Why grow only regular seed?

This message is for Kyle. Saw you in Denver 214 speaking to a group saying only grow regular seeds. Can you briefly state WHY and has your view changed since 2014 Denver Cup?
I always grow with regular seeds.

2 Likes

@Aridbud i also always grow with Regular Seeds. this was my first year at Feminized Gorilla Glue #4 i loved it. think i’ll seed some come spring it was so good

Breeding I would only use Reg. Seeds. I toss a few Auto’s in my Veg Tent to Offset my Harvest. Fem. Seeds and Auto’s are Good For Plant Counts IE 6 Plants in Flowering Etc.

1 Like

Been a breeder for 30 years and auto breeder for 15. WHY seemingly are regular seeds more potent than feminized same seed, same environment. That’s what I’m trying to find out.

1 Like

Just Mother Nature Can Do It Better Without Human Involvement or Tinkering

1 Like

GIF_20210226_183620

1 Like

Are they really? A feminized seed has the same genes as its mother. So why wouldn’t it produce the same potency?

1 Like

@Aridbud it’s about vigor and hardiness. Regular seeds are not more potent, they just have more vigor and resistance to the stressors that reduce potency.

Once you feminize a seed it doesn’t have the same vigor and it doesn’t have the same exact DNA as the mother plant because it still goes through genetic selection between the two sets of genes even if from the same plant.

This creates small phenotype variances in the feminized plant. Some will be a spot on duplicate of mom, some will have a slightly different genetic make up.

This all said, the negative traits or weaknesses are bred in too which means whatever stressors mom was weak against her offspring are too.

This shows as a decrease in vigor and potency in less than ideal growing conditions.

If you want a feminized seed to perform as well as the original mother you need to have an environment dialed in specifically for that feminized plant’s genetics.

3 Likes

:v::slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like