When to trim and top autos

I need some advice on my very first grow. August 18th these auto were still seeds. I planted them in a 3x3 grow tent using a 50/50 ratio of Happy Frog and Ocean Forest soil. I haven’t done anything to them except watering and put it on a 18/6 cycle using Hydro Mars ts 1000 lights. I have three Blueberry x Jack Herer and one Critical Purple from hgcc. Should I top them and when do I start trimming the bottom leaves? I also would like to know when I should start adding nutrients? They are looking pretty healthy with just giving them water. I do not have a green thumb, so I’m hoping to grow them successfully.
I’m having trouble posting the pictures.

3 Likes

I would NEVER add nukes… I mean, autos are hardy but nukes?! That’s just brutal lol.
I prefer a gentler approach like nutrients… but even then, with your soul and autos you won’t need those even, until you get much further into the grow. I’ll defer to people on this site much more learned than me on nutes.
As for topping, you don’t NEED to with autos but I do think you can top once or even a few times (depending on the strain) and successfully increase production. From the look of your plants… now would be a good time to get a topping in(maybe even another week out). Other than that I personally prefer constant LST to defoliation on autos until well into bloom… and even then pretty minimal.
Either way, autos are forgiving but not forgiving enough to nuke them😜
Happy growing!!!

2 Likes

Check out YouTube. @Kronic has a couple informative clips on topping autos, I believe. Happy growing.

2 Likes

You will not need nutes at least until flower…the soil will provide the nutrition needed
Topping / fimming is a matter of choice and opinion
some do not do this to auto since their life cycle is based on hormones, not time, so there is little time to heal from the stress
Others do…maybe the result is less bud, maybe not…they do not grow very large to begin with so if the fit in the tent, maybe leave them first time around
Each strain / genus reacts differently to stress.
I grew Blueberry and topped a LOT!..Jack, he never liked topping or even bending over. Purples also did OK with early topping / fimming. I usually never went more than 8 tops / colas with auto…

2 Likes

Your plants look great and this is just an opinion…try to get more soil in your fabric pot when/if you transplant. It is important (imo) to have a short lip from top of medium to edge of pot for good air flow to the base of the plant. It will not make or break your grow but helps mold and soil pests not become an issue. Great work and happy growing!

Edit: If you do not plan on transplanting you can always build the soil up a bit and cut down the edges of your fabric an inch or two before it affects the handles.

2 Likes

I was thinking about adding more soil. They are in 5 gallon cloth pots, so the soil is pretty loose. They would get a boost of nutes the next time I water them from the soil and I don’t plan on transplanting them again. Thank you.

1 Like

I am on week eight with two blueberry autos. I accidentally topped one when I tried to tie it down for a SCROG. I Pinched the stem with a pipe cleaner, strangling it. It took about two days to show the damage with dead leaves. I just pinched it off and figured oh well, lost the top two or three levels of leaves. At that point I pretty much abandoned the scrog, just letting them grow except for a few pipe cleaners separating the stems some. Well, that plant reacted nicely, giving me four colas, each thirty inches tall. I did lose some secondary growth compared to the plant I didn’t top, and it’s going to be very close as to which of the two yields more.

I use five gallon cloth pots also. I use a full bag of FFOF soil, and roll the top of the pot down like a cuff on pants.

5 Likes

Iv learmt to top my autos no later than day 12/keep them under 24/7 light they recover fast that way if not will set her back

1 Like

They all look healthy very pretty.

1 Like

When this was about 6 in high, I pinched the very tip. I wasn’t sure if I got enough but since I’m growing this plant just for fun, I didn’t really care.
But she turned out to be the most well formed plant to date.
Perfect form.

2 Likes

U could lollipop her

No need. She is loaded with buds and gets all the light she needs.
A rolling sun beats a grow light anytime.

1 Like

Hey Hey,Maestro Mike…
Really good to see you back ,Mike…

I’m trying to stretch out the days due my strawberry-cheesecake auto.

I’m into October now as the days are shortening.
Not sure if I should go to the tent.

1 Like

Wow!
Wrong images. I guess I’m pretty stoned.

1 Like