When to give up on 1

I see a lot of people ask. “When to give up?” Every plant is different. If you want a time span. Not one. Things to consider. How much space do you have? Is money tight? Inside outside? If your making a run. Well you already know. If space or money are a factor. Example. You have space to grow 2. Start 3 maybe 4 see witch ones grow better. Cut the runts or problem plants. I really am in no rush for space, and being a newbie. I use for experiments. What will make grow? What stunts growth? Practice LST (low stress training). Sometimes they grow slow at first then grow like crazy.
If this is the first time growing. You can expect perfection, but don’t get mad. When it dies, don’t grow, gets deficiencies, so many things. So you just started. Before you started did you do your homework? Nobody likes to scrap a Girl. Yet there’s no space. Want the biggest harvest possible. Good thing this site is here. ASK LOTS OF QUESTIONS. GUARANTEE YOU GOT A RESPONSE FULL OF KNOWLEDGE
Happy growing. Stay High my Friends

3 Likes

@B.G.1 I personally like to keep a problem plant or two for experimentation so I can increase my knowledge and skill when it comes to diagnosing and treating developmental issues with cannabis.

When it comes to breeding though I’m brutal. I cull the weak with the savagery of the Vikings and Spartans. :joy:

6 Likes

Yes that’s the secret. But let’s not keep this secret.

2 Likes

So I tried bringing this up on a different thread for the same reasons. I decided, per the advice and recommendations offered, to give 5 weeks on autos. I have limited space and more than enough seeds so no time for room for experimentation. With this forum / site, I have more than enough wisdom to bring my plants to fruition.
Photo’s may be an entirely different plan. I usually grow them outdoors so I there is no space contention. I can work a photo much easier and with less worry than I can an auto. Outdoor is a total different environment as oh so more forgiving, except for the weather. I have my own set of circumstances to overcome, such as high desert temps, fighting timing issues to get in the ground early and not have the sun take away my 12/12. I am saving all my boxes from all the shipments I am getting and building dark covers. I have yet to use my tent in summer and maybe I will keep auto flowers going year round as I really stocked up during the 2 for 1 sale.
I have made enough friends here to where we are trading seeds and this should keep me in good supply. Then again, we always have MDBuds to share his experiments and knowledge :grin: :smile:

2 Likes

@Mrb53004 I do love my experiments. :joy:

Speaking of trading, your package is on the way. It was sent usps ground with standard postage so it should arrive soon hopefully.

I also have limited space but I can’t help my desire to be a mad scientist so there’s usually at least one plant I have just for experiments. The rest I usually make sure are strong healthy plants or breeding stock and I’m very selective.

With autos if they haven’t shown vigorous growth or flowered by week 4 or 5 I will cull them and start another now that I have feeding and substrate dialed in for them. I do a late cull in week 6 or 7 if hermies pop up.

Photos I cull early if I can before the flower flip. By week 5 or 6. I take cuttings for clones week 2 or 3 and push them to flower as soon as they root. Then based on the growth, terps, and sex of the clones I decide which to keep or breed and which to cull.

3 Likes

@B.G.1 @MDBuds and everyone else hear on this forum. DON’T EVER GIVE UP! It really makes me so sad to hear when someone kills a plant for it being small, or weird looking, or whatever reason. I would never cut a plant down. NEVER! Marijuana plants can handle massive amounts of stress, pests, and variations in grow environments. Some of my best tasting and most potent buds came from plants that didn’t follow the “normal” growth and that most people on this forum would have scrapped. For example: this year I had two Lemon Garlic OG. Both started from seeds, planted in the same pot. One plant, however, did not grow normal. One had major issues with stretching, then decided to top itself randomly, and didn’t produce very large buds. But wait! Did I chop it down because it was different? Hell no! I let her do what she does best. And she did an amazing job! Her buds had the most potent terpene profile out of 15 different plants and eight different strains. I renamed it Vampire Killer cause it was soo garlicky. And its super stoney! I would never had such a great tasting bud if I had chopped it down… I know some of you are limited on space and only want healthy looking plants all the time, but I can’t stress enough how important it is to let those plants just grow. You may be surprised with the results. Happy growing and irie vibes! :seedling: :call_me_hand:

6 Likes

First pic was the 17th of Nov, last 2 are today. She turned almost completely brown, only had about 10% green left on her 1st 2 leaves. Stopped growing for a week. Used compost tea to bring her back. I never give up till they are dead for a full day at least.

4 Likes

So where is your shortage - space or just needing an additional tent? I have garage space I was thinking of and maybe my kids bedroom as they never sleep there anymore :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: :crazy_face: My wife and I talked about making an adult play room since they took over the rest of the house. They don’t even sleep in it anymore.

3 Likes

@Mrb53004 I can’t grow outdoor in my county anymore so I only have 1 4x4 tent. I’m currently working on remedying that though. My plans to convert the shed into a grow room are under way and soon I’ll have about a 8x12 space which is plenty of room for all of my mad science.

4 Likes

I’ve no space issues. I keep so I can experiment. I love Cannabis. :two_hearts:

3 Likes

I have a special outdoor greenhouse for problem plants that I dont want Indoors with the plants that are thriving. The sun usually seems to help get them back to health

5 Likes