Wanta try hydroponics

How hard is it to hydro ?? I can build a basic system ,home depot bucket w/ lid,air pump w/ stone,homemade receptor to hold medium w/ plant…You got the right idea,I’ll make one…Is it an easy learning curve ?? Do I have to use store bought nutrients for hydro ?? Can I use the nutrients I use for soil ?? Questions questions questions…

@Wildbill a home made set up will work fine. You can use nutrients you already have as long as they are water soluble. Many nutrients these days can be used for both soil and hydroponics.

The biggest learning curve will be how much to use if using nutrients that are water soluble but not designed for hydroponics.

The other part of the learning curve that gets tricky is learning what can and can not be mixed at the same time. Sometimes you’ll have to wait and do two separate feedings because nutrient a and nutrient b don’t play well together in water.

2 Likes

@Wildbill I am finishing my 3rd DWC grow and I like it better than soil. I have developed my own technique that serves me well. I grow photoperiod only indoors in a bedroom, 2 tents. Grow cycle is typically 104 days and yield is more for me than what I grew in soil and taste is much better. What ever nutrients you choose should be high quality designed for hydro. If you use less reputable nutrients you will be chasing PH and PPM levels more. Also your base water purity is very important so nutrients play well together.

4 Likes

@Wildbill Not hard at all. I’d recommend that you try growing in coco and using hydro nutes first. Kinda of a hybrid of hydroponic and soil. It’s a little more forgiving than a deep water culture system.

Thanks to all of you I’m gaining knowledge

I built me one for $300. And just a little note you can go to Lowe’s or Home Depot and buy a vent fan for a bathroom for about $15 and put up $3 rheostat on it. Easy to cut holes in the side air conditioner filter on it and you change it every week.

1 Like

@retiredoldguy You say the DWC taste is better than the soil. I’m fairly new to growing and I keep hearing the opposite especially from the organic growers. I gravitate toward organic soil stuff because I’m a biology nerd and tend to think nature knows more than I do. Anyway, did you do organic when you were in soil. And did you really percieve the dwc tasting/being better? I’m like you, gonna try hydro eventually. First time I did was horrible. Young and eager

I’ve grown both ways and all organic i get better smoke then any other way I’ve grown its all natural no chemical

@BlackSheep When I grew in dirt I never really had the time to devote to the grow due to a traveling job. I used whatever soil was on sale or available and HPS lights. Since I retired I am doing DWC with LED lights and have the time to really learn what makes a good smoke…I think each growing medium can produce a great product under the right conditions. What I like most about my DWC setup is how fast my plants grow… Also having the ability to completely shut off food to the plant at the end is only achievable in Hydro,dirt always retains some nutrient even with a good flush. I am a firm believer that cutting off nutrients at the end of flower causes a cleaner and better taste.

3 Likes

1 week of distilled water makes a big difference

1 Like

hey old growmie…saw the email pop up this morning…Happy Easter!
some of what I got growing right now
Girl Scout Cookies a week into 12/12

and Bruce Banner with another week in veg then its fliperoo time

1 Like

Looks healthy, gonna make some buds… I put up 4 jars this morning off a lemon autoflower. Got 2 more to go. Good to hear from ya. Hope all is well with you and yours. We got medical weed now in MS. Got my card last month. Kool

1 Like

hey Rusty…stopped by this morning to see what was happening on the old forum…hope all is well with you and glad you got your card…I have another growmie from MS on the other forum that I keep up with…so I know you like Shrimp and grits

You better believe it. All is good here. Mom died, 89, we going thru probate now. This is alot of bs. Weed growing like it is suppose to so cant complain.
Dont tell
Dont smell
Dont sale

my condolences on your Mom’s departure…probate is not a good thing to go thru…wish you luck on that one
and on a side note…I was recently turned on to these trimming scissors on Amazon…Bonsai 5 for $8 and I have just used them and I do like them better than my normal trimmers…

Will have to try them

1 Like

update on the scissors…they work well for wet trimming but not for dry trimming because they don’t open far so you don’t have leverage like with bigger trimmers…I do wet trimming for drying so they are great for that but after that I have to use the bigger scissors once dried…TGIF!

1 Like

They are cute scissors though

1 Like

well good morning @Rusty …how have you been and how is your grow?

I just started a new grow in both tents 3 weeks ago…yea those little scissors have their place in my routine and they do tend to rust after cleaning so put a little oil on them and wipe off…

some Future#1 in the big tent

and a growmies cross that I call GT… Tropicana Cherry X Deep Chunk

have a great smoke session and grow my friend

Ive been growing some lemon autos for the first time and it is absolutely the smoothest of any i think i have grown. I took down my boxes, only have tent now. Got 6 jars off my first plant, can’t complain. Hope all is well out west. Take care of those babies. They look terrific. Best of health to you and yours.

1 Like