Trimmings good for anything?

I have been saving my leaf trimmings. No fan leaves. Is there anything that can be done with these?? I’ve been saving them in a jar with a Bovida packet…but I’m thinking of cooking them slowly with oil to make cannibis oil. Is there anything in these leaves that is worthwhile? Thanks again :slight_smile:

1 Like

Oh yeah Kris…you gonna make some tincture…
cook the trimmings at 280°f for 28 minutes in a shallow pan in like a toaster oven. They should brown slightly, like toast. Crush them up (by hand, blender, grinder). Steep them -here is where you decide what end product you want. A good high proof alcohol (like barcardi 151 or everclear 190-200 proof) soak and shae daily for 2 weeks, strain and you got some potent tincture. Oils - MCT, or coconut oil or even butter…low heat like a crock pot…you got oil…from this you can make edibles, gummies, baked goods…etc…do an internet search for recipies

5 Likes

Thank you again Mike! In the past I used a bag of purchased pot and cooked it slowly in oil for a couple hours and strained it. Then used that oil in a brownie recipe that bakes at less then 350 degrees. It seemed to work ? I’m sure your process works better, but how do I know how much alcohol and how much pot?

3 Likes

you cover the crushed herb with so about 1/2 inch is floating on top of it. Keep the jar in a dark place

2 Likes

I make “freezer hash” out of the clippings and use the sugar leaf clippings to roll joints. The joints are nice to take with you on a walk or hike or golfing as they’re less potent than bud but still a nice high. As for freezer hash, you simply dry the leaves until they’re brittle. Put into a zip lock bag and crush the leaves. Place in the freezer for a day or two. Run the frozen leaf particles thru a silk screen (I use a 120 micron size) and you’ll get mostly trichomes being sifted thru the screen, leaving the leaf material behind. You can then press the powder into hash or put the powder in a jar and use it for cooking/baking. I separate the strains I have so I can not only get the specific attributes of that strain, but also the flavors associated with it. Use in baking, soups, sauces, etc. The powder does need to be used in a “cooked” dish or it needs to be decarbed before use as a sprinkle on salads, for example (decarbing “activates” the thc - others on this forum have considerable knowledge on this topic).

2 Likes

Thank you. That sounds like an easy process….something even I could do LOL. Sounds like your kitchen would be a fun place to be and learn.

I prefer to keep things simple and it doesn’t get easier than this!

1 Like

I love making freezer hash from the trim & small buds, & it stores better than cured bud. & very smooth smoke with a different effect altogether. I keep more than enough flower in tact to keep me going… :v:

2 Likes

Completely agree! And you also get a better, more distinct flavor from it.

2 Likes

I used a brown lunch sack full of clippings and lower brances to make 2 sticks of Cannabutter last weekend. Someone on here had suggested adding a tsp of Vanilla. :+1::+1:Awesome improvement over my butters from the past! Made a batch of sugar cookies and added a sprinkle of cinnamon before baking. Gave out a few to grow buddies with great comments about it the following day. I believe this has been some of the best I’ve ever made and it had NO flowers at all. Will definitely be making more soon :grinning:

2 Likes

I love to hear the word Pot. Strange how lingo has changed. That is all.