Timing pollen production

So if i have 3 clones and want to swap one to male to breed the other two do I flip all 3 to 12/12 lights at the same time? How do I time triggering the male to switch? I am thinking of using gibberellic acid but have not bought any yet.

1 Like

Following for knowledge. Are you trying to herm a plant?

Just ruminating here: I once had a power outage that turned one of my seedlings into a very young male. What happened was the lights came on for about an hour, then was dark for a couple of hours, then it came back on again for a few hours, then off again until the next morning. Not sure if that’s what did it or if it was just a coincidence. Also, this was with reg seeds.

1 Like

I want to stay away from herms. Mike, MD Buds and others were on here the other day discussing different ways to get females to swap to male using stuff like colloidal silver and gibberellic acid. What was not discussed is the timing if you wanted to let the plants self breed instead of collecting and applying pollen by hand.

1 Like

Hell, I think I know the answer to that. My very first grow I seeded everybody on accident. They were on 12s like normal. However, obviously that isn’t an educated answer, so perhaps standby?

PS: Are you breeding your Mimosa? I’m very interested.

1 Like

Yep going to try my hand at it. I love the Mimosa but I also prefer the structure of a seed grown plant better than a clone. Hopefully I can have my cake and eat it too. Also would really like to take a couple months off between grows and do some cross country driving.

1 Like

You will. I have faith and then I can buy some seeds from you.

1 Like

Sounds like a plan everything but the buy part. I am sure you will have something we could trade. Buy the way I got my Comphrey root cuttings in and they are 6 in tall already.

1 Like

Did you see that article I posted to you about it a while back? Plant away from your food, apparently. I’m trying to catch with my studies, but all I know from the Great Debates in the herbalist circles as of late is that it’s been shown to spread cancer causing agents to other plants. I’m unsure if it’s a survival instinct or what. I’d love to see your pictures!!! Feel free to post on my thread if you ever think about it.

PS: I’m sorry that I’m off topic.

No i did not see that. I never tried companion planting it with edibles. Not for health reasons but because in the right conditions it gets quite large. But that is definitely good to know. No reason to take chances for no reason.

1 Like

Here you go, kind of boring to most. I appreciate your humoring me anyway.

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/331127230_Transfer_of_pyrrolizidine_alkaloids_between_living_plants_A_disregarded_source_of_contaminations

@Jared I always like to swap the male first and start hitting it with CS then quarantine it and put the ladies in. That way I am guaranteed to have mature pollen by the time my ladies are ready to be pollinated.

2 Likes

@How many weeks into flower are your females when you put them in with male?

I pollinate between week 4 and 8 of flower depending on the strain. Seeds need at least 4 weeks to mature before you harvest the plant.

2 Likes

Thank for the info. Now just to set up a room and order the acid or CS and I will be good to go.

1 Like

been busy but i grabbed this earlier.

1 Like

What is CS? Insert other words so I can pass the test.

@kmac03 cs is colloidal silver.

3 Likes

Derp. I knew that. :upside_down_face: :roll_eyes:

2 Likes