Thinking about DWC?🤔🤔

Hello fellow growers. I’m currently growing in soil & preparing to start DWC air pump 4 bucket system.

Would love some guidance!!

2 Likes

We got a little aerogarden for Christmas and that thing can grow the heck out of some herbs lemme tell ya. It’s about as far as my experience goes.

If I was looking to get into it I’d probably start with YouTube videos looking at different peoples setups to try to get sort of an idea how I want to build it and out of what materials. I’d want to look at a lot of different setups. Once you sorta start down that rabbit hole on YouTube it can feed ya a lot of content. Then I’d branch out from there in my research.

Keep us posted! :binoculars:

1 Like

@Adcrag if you don’t mind me asking, why you thinking about going hydro?

Hi @Adcrag I switched from dirt to hydro a year ago and it does have a learning curve…I like it better and so is my quality. I would be happy to share my knowledge and my unique way of DWC.

1 Like

Dwc is great fun. I have done it a few times for fun. I even have done a strawberry basil and cilantro all in the same bucket together outdoor. Just ran an airline out under the garage door so I didn’t have to run lights. Great fun but I am no expert. Don’t forget to keep us updated. I will be watching👀.

2 Likes

I like how clean the setup is. That dirt was heavy & messy. Watch a friend & thought I’d take a cheap stab at it.
We’ll see :eyes:

2 Likes

Great to know & I appreciate your offer for knowledge.
I’d love to see some of your girls.

@Adcrag 75 days ago these 2 photo’s were seeds in a paper towel. 20 days into flower and buds are just forming and stretch is coming to an end. They have just been pruned so they look thin but you can see the many branches reaching to the light. Typical cured jar harvest is just over 6oz’s each plant @ around 105 days from seed to harvest. Each plant is in its own 12gal reservoir with 4 gal nutrients.

I keep things simple but get great results.

11 Likes

that is a beautiful setup and garden. Wow!

1 Like

DWC is pretty cool,i mainly use it to root clones faster than soil,i say go for it bro!

1 Like

Dudeman…I am impressed…nice little DWC you got going there…

1 Like

I started with DWC. Never did get everything just right! Too many variables! One thing after got out of whack.
I had been growing outdoors in dirt for years and decided to try it indoors in potting soil. Ever since then very little go wrong. I get much better yields of better smoke now.

@OldStoner I too had issues with hydro when I first started but I have refined my way of doing small scale DWC that allows me to leave it unattended for days depending on what growth cycle it is in. Dirt or hydro both have pros and cons and each can deliver a beautiful plant if you can see what your plant needs and not go overboard with adjustments…

1 Like

I currently have 3 plants in soil about 6 weeks old. But I’m planning my next grow to be hydroponic. I’m going to go with a 27 gallon tote with four plant positions. Going to add a bubbler to each plant to aid in early root development so it won’t be just DWC. Not going to be cheap to convert, I’m figuring about $200 all in. I’ll update when I get it started.

1 Like

I’m almost ready to start!! Need to rearrange my basement, got bigger tent.

Keep us posted on your grow

@mdalfonzo @Adcrag One thing to consider with 4 plants in a single reservoir is that they will each try to control the PH value at some time which may not be what the other plants need. Also remember to keep some kind of inspection portal to the tote/reservoir because you will need access. My system has air stones, a circulating pump that is used for top water feed until the roots hit the water then I remove it from the planter cup and direct it at the roots hanging in the reservoir so nutes are always circulating . Good luck with the transition. I moved from dirt a year and half ago to hydro and I am very happy with my setup and crops.

tip -remember - a RESERVOIR is a SINGLE POINT OF FAILURE if it goes wrong…will take out ALL the plants. Is why I no longer do hydro (and waste, effort to replace the reservoir repeatedly, can be messy, gota clean lines TOO…

1 Like

Point taken. Going into this DWC 4 seperate bucket system. Planning to run 2 DWCs & 1 Soil; just for comparison lol. Now I sound like I know something- NOT​:rofl::rofl:.

1 Like

@Adcrag good luck with your DWC bucket system. I would also highly recommend not reusing tubing, air stones, grow pots and circulating water pumps if roots got inside from your grow. These items don’t cost much and are the cause of most issues in DWC where folks try to reuse things. Keep things clean and start fresh each time and you will be successful.

1 Like

@retiredoldguy thanks for that info. I think that is a good idea. Will keep you updated when I finally get started.

1 Like