The leaning tower (Help?)

Hello reader :slight_smile:

So yesterday when I went to bed, I took a look at her right before the lights in the tent turn of, she was standing nice and straight (About 1 week old Mimosa Auto) looking happy.
This morning after the plant had spent 6 hours in darkness the plant was just leaning over.

From the top, its looking healthy:

Troubleshooting info:
No direct strong airflow over the plant
Soil is wet because I gave it water this morning. Soil otherwise dry, no over-watering.
The plant was leaning away from the grow light so it doesn’t seem to be “searching” for more light. (The room is 100 in the dark during the night no other light sources to go for.)
It doesn’t seem to try to hide from the light either, because Like i stated earlier the plant was Really stretching up towards the light nice and straight, until the lights were turned of and turned back on this morning.

Light cycle: 18/6
Lights: 2 x Spider farmer SF 1000 (Dimmer) = 200W total, Samsung LM301H EVO LED
Light at plant level: 15,000 LUX

Anyone who’s had something similar?
Is it normal and it will straighten back out on its own?
Should I prop it up with some dirt on the left side to support it, or is it better to let it build it’s own strength?

Thank you for reading!

2 Likes

I try not to water aroung the base when they are this small. I water around the base about 4" away. She should be fine. I have had some lay down and stand back up on their own and others I supported using a pipe cleaner bent in a j shape so it is easy to hook and unhook when ready to stand on its own.

2 Likes

I usually leave room in the container so i can build up the soil around the stem for extra support! Good to have space to add top dress later also :yin_yang:

1 Like

What it all means is. Stand it up and put some soil around it for support. Water away from stem. Shouldn’t get stem wet

My dealings with the heavy head syndrome, push a pile of dry to the side of stalk towards the way she is leaning . Allows air to trunk. It’s one of my top 3 cultivar yummy and smooth she’s worth a little extra help .

Some seedlings can get a little “leggy” reaching for the light.

Two sf1000s at 40% at 30” should be plenty of light for a week… you could drop the light 6” closer or raise the pot up a little… wat is your dimmer at and light height?

Two toothpicks crisscrossed makes a nice brace for a seedling and almost everyone has toothpicks. You could also bury and 1/8 -1/4” of the stem if needed.

As mentioned in other response… keep the majority of the water away from the stem and let it seep towards it. But Your seedling does not look overwatered and the stem looks healthy.

IMO the soil was just to loose and dry around her was the culprit for the tip over.

Another thing is you can eliminate the dark cycle till they get to veg.

1 Like