Talk about your first time…

I’m at least three weeks away from my very first harvest. I’m getting some fat sticky buds already and I want to eat them.

How the heck did you guys get through it? And more importantly, how was it indulging in your own homegrown for the first time?

I want to hear stories. Im bored and super excited and just…. !!! You gotta know what I mean….

4 Likes

@CurrDogg420 Ahhh….my very first time…. It was a dark stormy night…lol Really though , it felt so rewarding! I’ll admit, it was sooo hard not to snip a little just to try. I just kept telling myself it’ll be so much better if I just wait. When the day finally came I couldn’t wait to start cutting them down and seeing how much I had grown myself was a very proud moment. Each grow gets better and better. Here’s to your first harvest !!!

5 Likes

When I was a teen I’d start 6-10 seedlings in my parents attic or out in the barn every spring. And around June I’d snuggle them out to the Capitol forest on my beat up old dirt bike, plant them, and then return in late August. I’d chop down whatever had grown, dry it in 3-4 days, and smoke all my friends out immediately. We’d be “sorta” high for a couple of weeks and that was it. Homegrown rag weed.
Years later I would get pretty good out producing slightly above average smoke outdoors but still… average at best.
Now, 50 years later I’ve started more serious and patient indoor growing. On my third harvest now and have learned to be patient to start, patient to grow, patient to coddle them, patient to dry, and patient to cure.
The yields are ok but the quality is staggering. More than anything, the experience … the moments… the enjoyment for the process… has been amazing. The discipline has not only paid off but it’s bled over into other parts of life. I appreciate the “effort” required and the fruits of my labor to sound absolutely corny.

All of that however… and I’m still anxious as fuck for the end result lol. I don’t even smoke anymore so my anxiety has to wait for feedback from family and friends lol.
My retired physicist friend telling me he smoked my last harvest and could “feel” the dark matter… was the most rewarding feedback ever lol.
I think I’ll keep trying😬

9 Likes

:rofl: Awesome! Yeah I’m hoping for those kinds of results. Like to where I’m having a psychic connection with my dogs “I know what they’re thinking, man!” :joy:

Thanks for the story!

2 Likes

Man my first time i grew out three seeds from some crappy brick swag and got two males and a hermie (i dont really count that as first,i knew they would be crap but had to try). Second time around i got some killer seeds(jack frost) from a dude in the UK i met on overgrow back in like,2001. Grew some out and it destroyed me and my buddies. Found my own pic on lefly but cant prove its mine. The scars on my hand that i still have were a dead give away,owell. I was at work,fam was helping me move,sister found the seeds and tossed all of em.

Been growing ever since. Im not a patient man,but i am when it comes to weed lol.

2 Likes

Great story! Until the seeds got tossed. :grimacing:

I’m sure the patience part will come easier once I’ve got some jars filled up. Right now (literally, in fact) we’re buying them at the dispensary. Not cheap.

2 Likes

Man once you dial in your set up,forget the dispensery! Your own smoke will blow you away! I wish you the best my friend!

2 Likes

I was renting a house back in my 20’s. I had just cleaned some brick weed and threw the stems and seeds out the back door where someone had a rabbit cage, evidenced by the pellets covering the ground. It wasn’t long before I had babies popping up. I had almost a dozen plants. I never got to harvest and enjoy them because a “friend” pulled them up one night during a dry spell. They must have been decent, he never said otherwise, and he would have. I just started my second run in decades. The first was well received by family so I invested in a grow tent and accessories and the plants are growing much faster and denser than before so I am expecting great things this time around.

2 Likes

Did they have any buds on them? Or did your “friend” end up with just leaf?

My friends and I would roll up Cheech and Chong style joints from that stuff back in the day. The leaves came from a friends dad who grew outdoor every year. He always grew the best stuff too. I remember one that tasted like carrots - one pinner joint ended up getting 6-7 of us totally ripped.

For mischief we used to toss our seeds in the library and courthouse flower beds. Don’t know if any ever came up.

1 Like

Nah, they were only about halfway through veg. If he got high it wasn’t far off the ground. LOL We used to put seeds in the big planters on downtown streets late at night but nothing ever grew because the soil was so dead, I think.

2 Likes

Back in the day when weed was full of seeds you could find plants growing on the road side .

1 Like

planted my first seed out of a $5.00 match box of weed i bought in 1968. near a semi dry creek in Dallas Texas before all the suburbs grew to surround Dallas. i was intrigued after that with watching weed grow and 16 years old. went full fledge Hippy long hair and all for a long time after that like the rest of my life. i was out of the country for three and a half years and all i could think about in my spare time was getting back home with my family, staying at home for a long time, and growing weed

1 Like

My first puff was sophomore year of high school (spokane Wa) before a home football game. My friends had went to the Oregon country fair (GDead would sometimes play there) mainly to score some weed. It was less a fair and more of a counter culture gathering. Anyway, tried it with them the week later @ the game and nothing. Not high, dud for me. A couple days later after school I got stoned up properly and found it life altering. I could focus more, I was happier, and I felt great. There was no way this was bad for me I decided despite being hammered with the DARE propaganda at school. My grades improved and I made varsity track running a 4:20 mile. All thanks to weed. If I was a kid today they would probably say I had ADD and put me on meds.

The crazy part is I started growing weed in 6th grade. Never intended to use it in any way. I just saw it as a financial opportunity. My mom and I had grown huge veggie and fruit gardens since my earliest memories, so my soul was all ready connected to the soil. But my parents were straight edge strict.

So I mowed about a dozen lawns for $ all around my neighborhood. This one lady I mowed for lived down at the dead end. She had a huge lot and was in her 80s. She was in a wheel chair and had very bad vision. Her favorite topic of conversation was how much she hated her kids for moving to the east coast and never visiting her. Anyway, she would tell me to dump the grass clippings behind her old collapsing barn where her dead husband used to. The soil there was amazing from all the yard wast. The thistles there would grow 6’ tall. So I managed to get my hands on some bag seed and it clicked. I grew them between the 6’ thistles behind this old ladies barn. I would sell the buds for profit sometimes to friends, but mainly I would just show up to kid gatherings and I would be the one who brought the weed. Despite not toking myself yet.

The funnest part was my 20yr high school reunion was a few years back. All night long person after person would come up and say hey, you sold me my first bag of weed. I used to love getting weed from you. By the end of the night half my class was all behind the bar toking up for old times sake, with my weed. How funny.

2 Likes

After fifty years of playing hide and seek, sketchy dealers, concerns about dust or whatever contamination, it was a straight up trip sitting out in front of the house on a beautiful morning, hitting on a doobie with my coffee, as neighbors head off to their jobs, and it was mine and it was legal.

3 Likes

I have a brother who is 5 years older than me, and when he was 18’ish would have parties when mom was away. I didn’t smoke or drink then, but would get paid to clean up all the empties and beercaps from the indoor plants, make it look as if there was no party. e and his buddies would smoke on the front steps.

One day Mom came home from work…“Jeremy, why are you growing pot plants in my flower garden?” she asked him. We both got up to look, there were about 4 plants, probs 6" high with a couple sets of leaves on them, growing in with honeysuckle! He quickly grabbed a small shovel, dug them up and planted them out back near the compost pile!

Thanks Mom! RIP… :cry: And sorry for eating those honeysuckles when I did start to puff!

2 Likes

I had ordered some durban poison i figured id start them in February inside and then put them out in spring so they would get really big i mean i didnt know anything. I live up near massachusetts. i used a 400 watt mh in a closet well they grew so fast the tops all burnt i mean they were toasted. One of them was all brown and crispy all the way to the dirt. Cause they grew right into the bulb. So i was like screw it i brought them out there was like 4 plants i dug a two ft hole and filled it with potting soil. I went back out there about a month or two later i thought they were dead i never even did anything to them and when i went down there the things were like so bright green and fully recovered! They must of been 4 ft tall. If they were done then i would of had alot! But they grew so big over my head. I never did anything to hold them up and i just kept picking the tops cause i had just learned that. Well we had a hurricane and one of them snapped and by the time i knew i had a whole shitload of seeds i mean it smelled good but there must of been 10,000 seeds and they wouldnt germinate was the worst part but i deseeded alot of it and i put it inside a bag and put it under my mattress… lol. I had no clue. But it looked like brickweed after. It was a hell of a experience. Trial and error tho i learned from it. I should have topped them in the closet lol but i would have never done that at that time i had no clue. Its funny thinking back to all the work i put in.

2 Likes

Not my first time, but my first time with my dad, and step mom. I was recently returned from military service, stayed at the family home until I got settled. Dad and wife number two had recently started smoking weed along with their customary weekend booze. So dad, who never did learn to roll, made up spliffs out of 100 length Winston’s with the tobacco removed, one for each of us. He and I played chess, pretty high off what I now recognize was some pretty decent sinse for the seventies, and step mom was puttering in the kitchen. Dad asked her what happened to the steaks she was going to broil. Next thing we heard was her laughing uncontrollably. “Damn good thing I forgot to turn on the broiler” she said, “I didn’t take the t bones out of the styrofoam either.” She’d just popped em in the oven, plastic and all.

Remember paraquat. We had just bought our house in ‘78 and getting a bad bag was the kicker which convinced me to start growing. I planted some commercial Mexican which was all I could get my hands on at the time. Plants were up and a buddy stopped by, so I showed him my grow.
He chuckled and told me I should check his grow out. A couple of days later, I did and he had a beautiful plant about 4’ high. The base of it was about 3/4" and it was almost as wide as it was tall. When he told me where it came from, I had to get a cutting. It was from a seed he had gotten from a Thai stick. When that cutting took root, I pulled up the Mexican and the Thai was the first plant I harvested. It was the only pot I grew for 3 1/2 years and I got 6 harvests before I lost the line.

A couple of months later I gave him a cutting because someone had chopped his plant at ground level, which proved that “What goes around, comes around.”

1 Like