Switched to Soil

Hi everyone, I’m new here. I’ve been trying to grow for almost 1 yr. Don’t ask me why, but I started w/ coco & had 1 decent 1st grow, and have had 1 problem after another during the last few attempts. I’ve learned a lot from my mistakes & I’ll probably try coco again later. Ive changed over to Foxfarm soil & nutrients, and am following their suggested schedule. My bigger plants are in wk 4, & the 2 babies are wk 2. I planted them as a back-up if I kill the older plants accidentally, but I will need to transition them to outdoors soon.

I have 2 questions:

1. I read that fertilizers after mixed w/ water should be thrown out after about 1 wk. is this true w/ the Sledgehammer flush & foliar spray also?

2. Any suggestions on a 1st grow tent? I want to move everything out of my attic.

I’m so happy to have found this forum!

Personally, I never mix anything that lasts more than a week. I have never kept any solution longer than 10 days,and that was only if aerated.
As far as a tent…How many plants do you want to grow, what kind (sativa grow taller than indica), how much light (what kind of light do you have…and a few more things. (ventilation, humidity, temperature).
I like to stand up in my tent so any tent I get is ALWAYS minimum 7 feet tall. If the tent is bigger, that is ok, you can keep things to 1 side. If it is smaller, oh well, nothing you can do about it.
Brands…this is a difficult decision. Some swear by their manufacturers, others do not. SOme go for a CHEAP COSTING tent first time around…It really begins to add up $$ when you start doing this so budget is important. If you are skilled, and want to continue, you get a better tent. If you are a beginner, you need to just get by until you decide you will continue this. Ventilation is PARAMOUNT in a tent…I would never go less than a 6 inch exhaust…carbon filter - if you need to be discreet, it matters
So not an easy question to answer, it depends on what you want to achieve and how much $$ and time you are willing to invest

2 Likes

Here is a list of tent Mfgs…and their listings

Gorilla Grow Tent

Gorilla Grow produces some of the most high-quality and durable grow tents for cannabis on the market. The tents are made with metal connectors and poles and have a durable and thick wall material. Gorilla Grow tents give growers 360-degree access to the inside of the tent and offer easy-view windows to monitor your cannabis plants.

Gorilla Grow tents offer extender kits that can increase the height of your cannabis grow to reach anywhere from six feet to nearly nine feet high. Their tents are the trusted grow tents for the serious indoor cannabis growers and can run you about $365 for a 4’ x 4’ tent.

Gorilla Grow tents are the quintessential grow tent for cannabis that receive excellent reviews. They offer some of the thickest canvas material on the market and come with additional features that cannabis growers will love. For instance, its infrared lined roof is ideal at keeping temperatures cool in your tent. Gorilla Grow’s LITE line is great for budget shoppers.

Secret Jardin

Secret Jardin has been a grow tent maker for well over 10 years. Their DRII grow tent is a mid-range tent that can hold about 65 pounds of equipment. Secret Jardin’s tents are made with a proprietary method that keeps toxins from off-gassing the tent material. The Secret Jardin’s DRII grow tent can be bought for about $240.

Secret Jardin’s grow tents are not quite Gorilla Grow quality, but are a solid option for any cannabis grower. Secret Jardin’s zippers offer a light-tight fit. Unlike other tents that may require ironing or gluing to maintain a pitch-black environment, Secret Jardin offers superior grow tent quality.

Oshion

Oshion mylar grow tents are for the budget grower who wants to get experience growing indoors. Grow tents range from $70 to $130. Oshion’s entry-level grow tent can run you about $75. Oshion grow tents are made of a thick and durable 600D mylar. They also come with a removable base tray, viewing windows, and various duct openings for proper ventilation.

Vivosun

Vivosun’s cannabis grow tents are made to last. Vivosun’s 4’ x 2’ grow tent is the perfect grow tent for closet cultivation. Their mylar hydroponic grow tent can hold up to six plants at a time. Vivosun’s two-year warranty is one of the best in the business and ensures your tent can last for a while.

Vivosun’s closet grow tent is made from dark 600D fabric on the exterior. Its zippers are solid. It comes with a removable floor tray and support rods for your cannabis grow lights, fans, and ventilation equipment. Vivosun’s closet grow tent can go for about $70.

Apollo

Apollo Horticulture grow tents provide growers with little cash to spare to get set up and growing in no time. These tents are affordable and easy to set up. Keep in mind, its affordability means you won’t be getting as high of quality in materials compared to other grow tents brands. You might have to account for some minor light leakage.

Apollo tents come with a durable zipper, a removable mylar floor tray, metal frame and corners, and are capable of fitting lights and ventilation for optimal growing conditions. Apollo grow tents start at about $78.

iPower Grow Tent

For cannabis growers with plenty of plants to grow, iPower’s hydroponic and water-resistant grow tent is a perfect choice. If you have the space to fit these behemoth tents, the iPower grow tent can provide you with a removable floor tray, double-stitched and reflective material that eliminates any light leaks.

iPower’s frame and metal poles are sturdy and can handle up to 110 pounds easily. iPower offers rear door access with snap hooks, diamond-shaped reflective interior walls, and adjustable vent openings. iPower tents also feature various exhaust and intake ports to maintain the optimal growing environment.

Best Choice Products

Best Choice Products is another dependable grow tent brand that makes high-quality tents for beginner growers. Not only are they affordable, but they’re easy to set up, too. Best Choice Products’ grow tents are made of 600D polymer material and an interior reflective mylar. Best Choice Products grow tents come with a removable PVC water-resistant tray. While it’s a cheap option, you’re left without a warranty against defects.

CoolGrows

CoolGrows’ small indoor mylar hydroponic grow tents are ideal for those who can’t afford the higher-quality Gorilla Grows or Secret Jardin’s of the world. Its tents are light proof, durable, and come with a viewing window for easy monitoring. Flaps over the sturdy zippers ensure you have a completely pitch-black environment inside.

CoolGrows tents come with a one-year warranty to protect you from making a bad grow tent investment. A 2’ x 2’ x 4’ grow tent can run you about $57. A 4’ x 4’ x 6.7’ grow tent can set you back about $84.

Finnhomy

Finnhomy’s grow tent is ideal for nearly any growing system including hydroponic, aeroponic, and soil cultivation. Finnhomy’s oversized zippers are designed to curve and zip around corners without letting any light in. Its frame and corner supports are made out of strong and durable tubular steel. A 3’ x 3’ x 6’ tent can go for about $76.

Quictent

Quictent is one of the most eco-friendly grow tents around. Its SGS testing and certification mean its soluble elements won’t leach out from the material when wet and contaminate the cannabis plants. Quictent features a reflective silver PET mylar lining and 600D Oxford fabric canvas. Quictent comes with a two-year warranty so you know these tents are meant to last. A 4’ x 4’ x 6.5’ tent is about $105.

TopoLite

TopoLite grow tents definitely give you a great bang for your buck. While they aren’t the most reflective, they still manage to provide a 95% reflective interior. Rectangle vents with mesh allow for superior ventilation. Tents also come with multiple vents for fan and filter options. A 4’ x 4’ x 6.7’ tent goes for about $122.

Indoor Grow Tent Lights

Cannabis growers who are cultivating within a grow tent can choose from a variety of lights for their set-up. Growers can choose high-pressure sodium (HPS) lamps, light-emitting diode (LED) lights, high-intensity discharge (HID) lamps and compact fluorescent lamps (CFL). CFL and LED lamps are considered budget-friendly options for small grow tents.

Consider how your lamps can get and their energy-efficiency because you’ll be leaving them on for multiple hours a day. LED’s are considered to be one of the most energy-efficient grow lights based on its upfront costs, durability, lifespan, maintenance costs, and energy costs. Finally, make sure your grow lights are full spectrum for the best flower production.

Weed Grow Tent Equipment & Accessories

Once you’ve narrowed down and bought your best grow tent and lights for growing weed indoors, you’re not quite done. Setting up an optimized cannabis grow requires other essential equipment and accessories such as carbon air filters, hygrometer, exhaust fans, fertilizer, clean water, nutrients, growing medium, and the seeds or clones to begin the growing process.

A fan attached to the airflow opening in the tent enables growers to have an optimal airflow all throughout the grow tent. Poor ventilation can lead to mold or fungi on your pants. Carbon filters are also important to absorb the intense cannabis plant aroma and scent of fertilizers or nutrients within the tent.

Using the right nutrients and a clean water source to grow your cannabis plants is another important aspect of successfully growing in a grow tent. For a successful harvest, it all starts with the right seeds or clones. Finding the right genetics can complete your marijuana grow tent kit

3 Likes

Thank you very much for all of your info! I am a beginner & illegal here in TX. If I’m successful at the grow I’ve got going, I’ll try one of the cheaper tents you’ve mentioned. I’ll read up on them in the meantime. Thanks again. If I do start a next grow, I’m going to try to purchase some good seeds too.

for cheap, go to ebay click on the green link
I bought this . the largest one…has performed well
good shipping, good timing, good product…

1 Like

Awesome! Thank you!:heart:

My plants are in week 10 now & looking good. Getting close! I just bought the tent from eBay you recommended & I’m about to get some new seeds started.