Stretching Stage

So ive heard the stretching phase last 14 days and ive also heard it last 21 days. Im sorta leaning towards the 21 days due to the fact that my girls are still growing :grimacing: and im running out of vertical space. Might have to throw another net on. Does anyone know the exact time or is it different for each strain?

Different for each strain. Genetics step in and Indica and Sativa have very different growth patterns. Nutrients and environment can change that grow pattern even on the same strain. Haven’t you ever grown 2 plants of the same strain and they grow differently in the same environment using the same materials? I was explaining to DMT about scrog trellis. I grew GG4 pheno, set up my nets and 50% way overgrew the nets. I had to add second net and yoyo’s to support the colas. You have to remember, hybrids, like people, have a variety of genetic factors. Some can happen early, some late and some not at all. We approximate flower grwo time based on genetics as a guideline, not gospel

4 Likes

That definitely makes sense. Its just amazing how they double in size in no time

I am boggled in the mind by the explosive nature of stretch. It was always an issue when I was a large producer. Much easier to control in a smaller environment. It is like corn, you can hear and see it grow if you sit on the front porch in front of a cornfield

3 Likes

People dont believe that, they have never heard it happen, but it’s real. Large enough corn fields affect the local weather due to the corn sweat increasing humidity.

1 Like

@Rye This is so VERY true! Where I live this comes into effect often in the deep rural areas. Weird but so very true. Temps in large agricultural fields can be up to 20degree F difference than surrounding suburbs.

My Jack Herer Auto and Magnum Auto have outgrown my tent. I had to move them into my garden shed and quickly engineered in some carbon filtration to keep them under the neighbors radar. It looks like I’m going to have to sacrifice some yield for the strains that are smaller in height. Regardless, it’s my first grow in many many years and I have loved every minute of it. Currently in the shed are (all auto):

Jack Herer
OG Kush
Strawberry Cheesecake
Mandarine
Blueberry
Bubblegum
Magnum

I lost a White Widow along the way.

5 Likes

Beautiful girl you have there @PapaJ and welcome to the forum! We definitely like pretty pics like those! Keep em coming :ok_hand:

1 Like

Welcome to the forum @PapaJ !

Your grow looks great :+1::v:

2 Likes

I cannot imagine an AUTO OUTGROWING a tent unless your tent is 3 feet tall. Wassup?

1 Like

Howdy @PapaJ! Beautiful plants you have there.

2 Likes

Idk! That’s why I’m perplexed. I’ll take a pic when I go out there today. The tent is 5’ tall.

2 Likes

@PapaJ I really need to see a pic. 5’ tent - either you got a Pheno or you got a big bucket, up on a drain board and your light is hanging too low. Most auto’s never get over 3’ tall. Maybe one can stretch out to 3.5 feet

1 Like

I tried to get as far away as possible, but it’s a small shed (re the pic). It’s just a whole lot of stretch. It’s the two Magnum autos that are the tallest, seconded by a bubblegum auto, with Jack Herer in third place in the “over achiever in stretching-growing” category.

3 Likes

Then you should enjoy this blueberry about halfway through flowering.

4 Likes

@PapaJ nice stretch you got there. Big ole autos!! Happy Growing

1 Like

@2Grow4Love have you found ways to minimize stretch? I was wondering if a 24/0 light cycle would at least stunt the stretching since most is done in the rest cycle? I’m Frankensteining a theory here…based off of secondhand information. :man_facepalming:t2::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

The only thing that helps me with the stretching is the scrog nets which i have 2 on my grow now @

2 Likes

I agree with 2Grow. Unless you train these girls early, they need attention. Once they have shot up, not much you can do. I have, at times, bent over a branch if it was detrimental to the majority of the grow. Just do it gradually. 24/0 is usually reserved for auto but I would lower lights on rather than extend it. If you went 12/12, you will get less stretch. Of all the strains, you picked the ones who can grow above 3’ as commonplace. Pick a shorter strain :wink:

3 Likes

I’m realizing now my choice in strains has to change. hahaha… the little Strawberry Cheesecake & Mandarine are short and fat, love it.

1 Like