Starting germinated seeds

I have been using "Jiffy’ tomato greenhouse seed starters twice so far and was wondering what the experts think about this practice.

2 Likes

How has it been working for you?

1 Like

I have used them or 3 grows so far and am happy with it. The pod once placed in water expads to about 3 inchs high I plant my germinated seed and when it sprouts I plant the pod in my soil. Used coast of main soil no nutes for 21 days then fox farm nutes. these were all auto flower

I always do the papertowel method and drop in a cottage cheese container. Transplant at around 4 weeks to a 7 gallon. Only use Happy Frog soil and has been working great for me. If it works for you and happy that is all that matters.

The only caution on those jiffy sprouters is dampening off. They are so hydrophillic that the moisture can easily exceed useful levels and cause stem rot or seed rot. Especially on 3yr + not new fresh seeds. They often need a couple more days to wake up and grow. Not a problem if a grower is aware of it. Get it too wet and it will just become compost.

1 Like

i am having serious issues trying to pop dosido seeds, i dread adding up the seed cost buit i cant find anything that is reliable