Spindley plants

These two plants are approx 1 week old. Can you tell me why they look this way?

Thanks

1 Like

Hi Mark!

Welcome to the forum!

Looks like they were stretching for the light. Thankfully, they look great from what I can see. What I would do is gently rebury them, leaving about a fourth above the soil. I would lower the lights down enough to prevent stretching, but not so much you will burn them. A good guide is if it doesn’t burn your hand after a few seconds, it’s good for your plants.

I hope that helps. I look forward to seeing more!

9 Likes

I kindly second kmacs advice

4 Likes

Thank you. Nice to meet you. :v: :grinning:

1 Like

I second the motion. Welcome. Since they are stretched, you have to address it. A gentle breeze will help strengthen the stalks so they do not collapse on themselves. You can crumple up some paper and place it around the stalk, closer to the leaves (about 1/4" below them). Get you light closer. Are you using lights or windowsill? Blue light spectrum will make them short and stout, like Winnie the Pooh. If not, you gonna get spindlies, like Jack Skellington. Jack needs support, Winnie stands on his own. If the strain is SATIVA, they will have a tendency to grow tall, thin. If INDICA, they will favor bush type. Now we step in to Environment…your seeds have sprouted, now it is time to grow

3 Likes

Hey Mark @omark welcome to the group

1 Like

Thanks. Glad to be here

2 Likes

Thank you. I have followed your suggestions and will advise of my progress

3 Likes

Followed your suggestions. They are indica

3 Likes

Welcome @omark. Looks like your getting good advice already. Glad you found us.

1 Like

Me too! What a great forum

Thanks

1 Like

How many hours of light should I do

2 Likes

Hours of Light - different for each stage of life and strain but
for seedlings - I run 20-24 hours of light for close to 2/3 weeks. Eventually I drop to 20/4 on auto, 18/6 on photo but they can thrive in the same tent. Then I would run all at 18/6. Photo like to sleep. Also, after the rest period, branches are softer and easier to train (LST, chiropractics)

2 Likes

thanks appreciate the input

1 Like

I’m sorry I didn’t get to you in a timely fashion. :v:t2:

1 Like

No worries

Thanks

Mark

2 Likes

@omark :laughing:

:v:

welcome Mark. I too am a newby grower but I just went through this. I startred them under really weak lighting and they stretched 6 or 7 inches. I had to use small dowel rods to support them until they began to veg and the stem strengthened. If your light is good they should come out of this. Mine did. Keep your light about 18" from the top of your plant for now. watch the leaves. You will be able to tell if they are getting too much light.